GAME DENIED. MY MAPPING NEEDS "SOME PRETTY SERIOUS HELP." THAT'S LESS THAN HELPFUL...

Oh, but if I may ask, what are some instances of ceiling tiles used inconsistently? I could think of a few spots where you might think this, but in a couple I was trying to go for the ceiling/wall having collapsed and another where the ceiling is low but the the wall is "cut-away" to view Geoffroy floating all the way to the edge of the screen. If this is considered "bad", how might I go about doing this with better practice? I'll post some pics real quick of what exactly I'm referring to.

EDIT:

This one is the main temple room. I'm referring to the left side of the map, where the ceiling touches the water.

old_temple_main.png

I'm referring to the "broken out" ceiling at the top. Don't mind the floor tiles as I'll soon be fixing those.

old_sanctuary.png
Everyone's advice is solid. The only thing I have to add is try to look at your maps more realistically. Some of the maps you have are just impossible. Try to find a way to give the illusion of a three dimensional world.

But IMHO I've seen worse games get accepted. The video actually made the game look mildly interesting and I think with some mapping help, you could have a decent game here.
By "impossible", I hope you're just referring to the waterfalls, which I'm going to edit next. I understand that water needs a source unless its something man-made (e.g. a fountain). I'll try to make that source more explicit or just more believable in general like you mentioned.

I'd just like to show how appreciative I am of everyone's advice with a big THANK YOU!

Here's a picture of a puppy.
Another thing to look in to is the roof tile on the sides of the main temple room. They are overlapping two-tile high walls, but don't have a wall beneath them to show such.
Hey guys, could you judge my revised main temple room? Thanks!

Old Temple

New Temple
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Getting there. Decrazifying the waterfalls was a good step, though there's a part in the upper right where there are two water tiles to the left of the middle of the waterfall, and while it's not strictly impossible/illogical it's kind of hard to make visual sense of, so I'd recommend moving the big waterfalls two tiles south of where they are now. (Also try holding shift while placing the waterfalls.) I like the addition of the "middle floor" section near the upper right. And the central path through the castle helps define the area, but there's no reason to remove the arches you had there - use both.

The way the ground tiles are colored still doesn't really work. Try making all the upper floor ground tiles one color and all the lower floor ground tiles the other color. Not a fan of the stone tiles with grass only around the edges. It works in a few places.

Actually, are those lighter-colored tiles even walkable? I can't tell. They look pretty weird either way. They look okay on the sides of the bridge, but not on the sides of the raised platforms. Try railing around the edges of the platforms, maybe. It'd be more realistic, and you could maybe adorn the railing with some orbs or something on some of the corners.

Oh, the ceiling on the grassy island in the middle-left area doesn't make sense to me. It appears to be at ground level!?

My initial suggestion to add more stuff or condense the area, and preferably both, still stands.
Thanks for the in-depth reply!

There is another waterfall perpendicular to the plane of view in the upper right. I'm going to add an event so you can see a splash at the bottom. I removed the arches because of symmetry. I would have to find/make another arch sprite that matches the other ones, or make an extension. I think I could do that myself.

I like the idea of different color stone on different floors for clarity's sake. I will find another stone graphic to add to the tileset.

And yeah, that specific kind of stone is not walkable. I was using it as a sort of railing.
Some of your heights are quite off. Here's a picture to show you. There may be more I missed. It's getting better, though. Don't give up hope!
3-tile rule aremen. you cannot pass the chapset wills it, meanwhile take a look at my game which is much better than yours
01/28/2013 02:44 PM

Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=Mr.Nemo
3-tile rule aremen. you cannot pass the chapset wills it, meanwhile take a look at my game which is much better than yours

Excuse me? I was not on submissions. Please read the entire thread before making such statements :)
author=Mr.Nemo
author=Deckiller
For the record, I haven't been on submissions much in the last couple weeks due to internet issues.

aka, this was denied by another person.
And even then there is nothing wrong to have an intention to make someone's level designing and chipset usage improved. That and your insult is uncalled for.
author=Liberty
Some of your heights are quite off. Here's a picture to show you. There may be more I missed. It's getting better, though. Don't give up hope!

Of the various issues your maps have, this one is the most important, as incorrect heights can make the entire architecture and/or geography of an area look surreal and wrong. It can be hard to keep track of the elevations (I've made the same mistakes before too), but it helps to imagine the room being viewed from the side. For example, if you were to view the top right wall that Liberty circled from the side, the ceiling would appear to be sloping down towards the water's edge, which I don't think is the look you are going for.

I actually think the temple layout with the water looks pretty creative and interesting, but I think you should do as LockeZ has suggested and use tiles that fit the square edge of the water (perhaps have a perimeter of stone tiles surrounding the water's edge?). One other issue that isn't really your fault but is nevertheless a problem is that the waterfall sprite used appears to have dirt edges, which do not match the edges of the water tile used (the dirt edges appear to be floating in space).

I know all this criticism can be depressing, but you are handling it the right way; don't take it personally, just use the advice others give to improve. Remember, you will never get worse, only better!
Yeah, I was looking very carefully at heights when reconstructing the middle floor thing in the upper right above the river. However, finding the right balance between matching the ceiling tiles with the walls to some extent while doing a sort of "cutaway" view can be a bit difficult sometimes.

author=Liberty

All agreeable fixes. I never even noticed the minus 1 on the left side, and that's been there the longest!

author=Lucidstillness
I actually think the temple layout with the water looks pretty creative and interesting, but I think you should do as LockeZ has suggested and use tiles that fit the square edge of the water (perhaps have a perimeter of stone tiles surrounding the water's edge?).

I don't quite follow. Do you mean basically line the river with stone on the floor level? Or use different walls for the little walls above the river?
Yeah, if you are going to have square edges to the bank, I think it would look more natural to line the river with a stone edge. You could keep some of the grass on the floor, as some temples are overgrown with foliage in real life.
author=Lucidstillness
Yeah, if you are going to have square edges to the bank, I think it would look more natural to line the river with a stone edge. You could keep some of the grass on the floor, as some temples are overgrown with foliage in real life.

Do you just mean a few rock objects? Or stone floor tiles?
I dunno what the big fuss is about. My mapping is loads more horrible.

Well, I guess the difference is that some points in my game are for quality (mainly the coding), and some are for parody.

With a game, you need to either go completely serious and organized, or go even more crazy in your mapping (here's my worldmap, see if you can tell me what's weird about it) and have a devil-may-care attitude about it, but be serious about the plot and the bug checking issues.

author=Shoobinator
author=Lucidstillness
Do you just mean a few rock objects? Or stone floor tiles?

I think stone floor tiles would look more appropriate.
author=bulmabriefs144

Well, I guess the difference is that some points in my game are for quality (mainly the coding), and some are for parody.

With a game, you need to either go completely serious and organized, or go even more crazy in your mapping (here's my worldmap, see if you can tell me what's weird about it) and have a devil-may-care attitude about it, but be serious about the plot and the bug checking issues.

I'm guessing this is still a WIP, but I would suggest either making your islands/continents simpler/smaller or add more detail to the larger continents. I would decide ahead of time what I want my world map to be. Some world maps are very condensed, and are just meant to give the player a quick transition to the next location, or you could do something more explorative (I'm guessing that's what you wanted). Will you have battles on your world map? Choose the purpose of your world map. Also, think about if you will ever give the player some mode of transportation to travel faster when spacing things out.

And is that Giant Octopus Island?! :)

Also, I want to focus more on behind-the-scenes quality as well with code/scripting, etc. but that's not something you can see when deciding whether to accept a game submission. Looks are always the first impression (and that goes for just about anything really).

@Lucidstilness, Alright, I'll see what I can do.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=bulmabriefs144

If you know that, you should really either fix or delete your game.