MCAFEE SET TO EXPIRE IN A WEEK.. GOOD FREE ALTERNATIVES?

Pages: first 123 next last
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
My McAfee is set to expire in a few days and while my Dad said he might consider renewing it he'd rather I find a good free option if possible. In the past, on my previous computer, I'd used Avast! (With Spybot S&D for additional protection) but a recent article said that the free version of Avast! lags in functionality behind the pay version of McAfee. What do you guys think is the best free antivirus, and does it do enough?
I used AVG on my old computer. On this one I use Microsoft Security Essentials. Both work just fine for me.
BurningTyger
I'll keep that in mind; love to hear what others think.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
McAfee? Holy shit, that thing actually did something? Last time I downloaded it, I was unable to even open it. It just did something useless in the background and blocked no viruses whatsoever.

I guess AVG is an option, if not Avast.
BurningTyger
author=Nightowl
McAfee? Holy shit, that thing actually did something? Last time I downloaded it, I was unable to even open it. It just did something useless in the background and blocked no viruses whatsoever.

Well I got a paid one-year subscription to the suite with my computer,which seemed to work, but is now expiring soon. I'm really fond of Avast! honestly and many people like it. PC mag was claiming that free suites often don't hold a candle to pay, but I take that with a grain of salt as I should have before. I've seen both AVG and Avast get high marks from different reviewers.
I guess AVG is an option, if not Avast.
So wait- which are you suggesting?
Go with Avast. Avast is now one of the best free-to-use antivirus softwares. I used to prefer AVG to Avast in the past due to Avast having a bug that could cause the blue screen of death, but that was the old Avast. The new Avast is, imo, much better than its old version and becoming better than the AVG.

If you say that Avast lags in functionality behind the paid version of McAfee, then I would say that AVG lags further behind. Free versions are never as good as paid versions, anyway.
AVG is free.

I can say, from several security incidents at my job at the government, though, that MacAfee, AVG, Norton, and Grisoft antivirus (and these were commercial versions) are pretty much identical, and in most cases they don't catch quite a lot of problems. These days, I usually advocate just using a computer smarter and not bothering with AV, which is pretty much entirely resource intensive and fairly ineffective.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Go with Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast is bloated and AVG is crap.
People more enlightened than me recommended Microsoft Security Essentials, and so I use it. This is in spite of my doubts, since MS has a reputation for software that's less-than-superior (although I love their hardware).
I'll also agree with Microsoft Security Essentials.
Is it as good as Norton ? I am planning to buy Norton 2013, which costs about $50. :P
author=Orias_Obderhode
I'll also agree with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Works for me too.
BurningTyger
interesting ..
author=eplipswich
Go with Avast. Avast is now one of the best free-to-use antivirus softwares. I used to prefer AVG to Avast in the past due to Avast having a bug that could cause the blue screen of death, but that was the old Avast. The new Avast is, imo, much better than its old version and becoming better than the AVG.

If you say that Avast lags in functionality behind the paid version of McAfee, then I would say that AVG lags further behind. Free versions are never as good as paid versions, anyway.
*Decides to go for Avast and instlals it* (Yes, i need ot remove th oether..
KingArthur
MSE and Avast are about equal as far as AV effectiveness goes. Avast however has become bloated with unnecessary features like sandboxing, remote connections, and cloud-based website reputation and streaming update services. MSE on the other hand simply deals with keeping viruses out (and obviously dealing with ones that get in) and doesn't care about anything beyond that, which is what an AV software should be doing; MSE also integrates better with Windows owing to MSE being made by Microsoft.

It is also a misconception that paid AV software is better than free AV software, MSE and Avast are up there with the likes of ESET in AV effectiveness.
BurningTyger
author=KingArthur
MSE and Avast are about equal as far as AV effectiveness goes. Avast however has become bloated with unnecessary features like sandboxing, remote connections, and cloud-based website reputation and streaming update services. MSE on the other hand simply deals with keeping viruses out (and obviously dealing with ones that get in) and doesn't care about anything beyond that, which is what an AV software should be doing; MSE also integrates better with Windows owing to MSE being made by Microsoft.

It is also a misconception that paid AV software is better than free AV software, MSE and Avast are up there with the likes of ESET in AV effectiveness.
I guess i just read that peole were having trouble applyign MSe updats so that was a concern. Plus I'd bene used ot Avast..*updated* they offered a trial of a slight upgrade, but no. And No I never assuemd that the cooents about pay were axctuly treue... now shoud I wait another week to use the last of my MCaffe time?
KingArthur
There was a recent issue with MSE about a week or so ago where definition updates weren't being pushed out to Windows Update for some reason (MSE updates via Windows Update on an automatic or on-demand basis independently from Windows). No explanation was given from MS as far as I know, but the issue was resolved and I've been getting updates normally again so it's nothing to be that concerned with unless this becomes a common occurrence.
BurningTyger
Wel I just installed Avast free (IN ADDTION to MCaffe- whihc has 7 days left . I know i'm not supposed to douse 2 but I didn't want to end up rushing at the last minute to swap out... Avast offered a 20-day trial of the advanced security butnio.
KingArthur
Never, I repeat NEVER have two or more concurrent AV installations on a computer! The AVs will see each other as mutual threats due to the presence of virus definitions and scanning routines and try to kill each other, which can result in killing Windows if you're unlucky.
BurningTyger
author=KingArthur
Never, I repeat NEVER have two or more concurrent AV installations on a computer! The AVs will see each other as mutual threats due to the presence of virus definitions and scanning routines and try to kill each other, which can result in killing Windows if you're unlucky.
I know, I know..... so which should i get rid of for now? *Decides to remove McAfee now* *Installs Spybot S&D as well*
author=Mr_Detective
Is it as good as Norton ? I am planning to buy Norton 2013, which costs about $50. :P

I have had horrible problems with Norton's licence manager claiming my copy's subscription had run out.

Seriously, I doubt that MSE is on par with a lot of commercial anti virus programs. But, if you actually practice safe computing, you should be fine with it. You should also be OK with Avast or AVG, too. And if you are extremely diligent in never loggin in as the admin directly, updating your software, choosing safer browsers and web accessing programs, etc., you actually will probably be OK with nothing at all.
Pages: first 123 next last