MCAFEE SET TO EXPIRE IN A WEEK.. GOOD FREE ALTERNATIVES?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
I decided to grab AVast and uninstall my MCafeefe (thogh i had afew days left0> I also grabbed Spybot S&D free, thugh i nee dot be careful- an earier cleanup attemnpt removved my login cookies.
I went with Malware Bytes because it was free. :P
Pretty good if you ask me.
BurningTyger
author=Ven01273
I went with Malware Bytes because it was free. :P
Pretty good if you ask me.
I've heard S&D is losing favor so I may do the same. *researches and decides to go wiht Spyware Terminator Free* *update- id DOEs scna downlaods too! good!
Actually My Avast! also will expire in 12 days and so I thrive for another antivirus as well... With the plus that it's likely that Microsoft Essentials will harm my PC due to it being weak and XP and damn I can hear a girl crying and t's 4AM
BurningTyger
author=JosephSeraph
Actually My Avast! also will expire in 12 days and so I thrive for another antivirus as well... With the plus that it's likely that Microsoft Essentials will harm my PC due to it being weak and XP and damn I can hear a girl crying and t's 4AM
You DO know you can renew AVAST yearly?
I'm a big fan of Avast, that's what I put on all the computers I work on for people. I also am a fan of SuperAntiSpyware as a backup. Avast gives you the real time protection while SAS catches some of the sneakier stuff that slows your computer down.
BurningTyger
SO you're a tech support guy? Is your preference just personal or due to long experience and testing? I need informed opinions...[ (I'd like someting that bith removes and blocks malware and spyware.
author=BurningTyger
SO you're a tech support guy? Is your preference just personal or due to long experience and testing? I need informed opinions...[ (I'd like someting that bith removes and blocks malware and spyware.

I would recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
I use it, and it has saved me from many virus's. (Trojans, backdoor agents, etc.)
Also if you wish to go PRO then you can buy a 1-year license for as little as $25.

Edit: Malwarebytes also has Filesystem Protection, and Website Blocking.
author=BurningTyger

I can't afford an anti virus right now and I've been like 3 years away from the internet, not to mention that I never understood about computers anyways. I'm kinda confused with a lot of stuff =/
Besides my PC is really slow and I suspect part of it is AVAST's fault...
Hm, there are some nice links here.
So... should I get Norton or Microsoft Security Essentials ? :D
BurningTyger
author=JosephSeraph
author=BurningTyger
I can't afford an anti virus right now and I've been like 3 years away from the internet, not to mention that I never understood about computers anyways. I'm kinda confused with a lot of stuff =/
NO, you can renew the free version once a year. You just need a new passcode. And AFAIK it's quite fast.
And after much thinking I got Both MBAM and SAS. some people also suggest using Comodo firewall but i thin I have enough for now. Right now i'm dong the 20-day pr trial for MBAm- considering hwo it turn sut I may either get a licens eor shift to the free when it expires.
author=JosephSeraph
author=BurningTyger

Avast is free forever. My guess is that your version expiring in 12 days is the paid version of Avast. You do know that you can switch to the free version, and that the free version is renewable for free, right??
------------------

And yeah, MalwareByte is one of the best softwares for countering spyware and malware.
BurningTyger
so I grabbed it with SAS a s backup.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Mr_Detective
So... should I get Norton or Microsoft Security Essentials ? :D

I wouldn't touch Norton with a 10-foot pole, so my advice is go with Microsoft Security Essentials.
Microsoft 's web page says that Windows 8 has Windows Defender built in so there is no need for MSE. However, when I went to Control Panel to turn on WinDefender, and there is also that Kaspersky program which already expired, nothing happens. They both remained off.

So should I uninstall Kaspersky and download something else ?

If Kaspersky has already expired, it's as good as useless unless you renew it. Uninstall it and download a new antivirus. But make sure Windows Defender is truly not working first before you uninstall it and install a new antivirus software.

P.S. For those who didn't know, Windows Defender is an antivirus program in Windows 8.
BurningTyger
7 has something with a similar mane as well, doesn't it?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Norton is worse than most viruses, though not quite as bad as McAfee. McAfee should be illegal for them to sell. It's like snake oil, except it wasn't extracted correctly from the snake and there are traces of deadly venom in it. If the FDA dealt with computer medicine the way they dealt with real medicine, McAfee would be in prison (he'd be in prison anyway because he murdered his next-door neighbor and fled the police about two months ago, but that's neither here nor there).

ESET Smart Security and Kaspersky are both pretty slick. There's a crack available for ESET so you can get it for free, not sure about Kaspersky. Both of them run very smooth and don't slow down your computer, and also have much better virus detection than Norton and McAfee. And like several other people said, toss Malwarebytes on there too while you're at it, since it's free.
BurningTyger
right now i have Malwarebytes & SAS for the malware and am using Avast free,which I've had good results with in the past, for the antivirus. Frankly I'm surprised how much coverage this topic's gotten.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I repair computers for a living and fixing viruses is one of the most common things I do, so I felt the need to chime in and point out that Norton is shit. When someone brings in a computer that won't start, there's about a 50% chance it's a hardware problem, 30% chance it's a virus, 10% chance of incomprehensible OS/driver/software issues, and 10% chance that Norton corrupted their computer.

Yeah, Norton breaking your computer is as common as all other software issues combined. Fun.
Pages: first prev 123 next last