AN FFX THREAD FOR YOU SCHMUCKS

Pages: first 1234 next last
K, since there was interest in a FFX discussion thread, yet no action, I'll take the first step.

Note: I'm presuming that most of you have already played through FFX, so for those who haven't, this thread contains SPOILERS, unless someone wants to boycott that.

Now then I must say, the opening was pretty much the highlight of the entire game for me. At first, we've got Tidus living the grand life as an famous all-star Blitz Ball'er. He's got it all: fame, fortune, looks (debatable, I'm sure), everything. Well, next thing you know, everything turns upside-down, and Tidus ends up stranded in the middle of an abandoned and flooding ruins with just the clothes on his back (and a sword), having to seek out wilted plants to burn for warmth, with no evidence of his former home present, save himself.

Honestly, this first part was really spectacular. Seeing the incredible contrast between the techno city of Zanarkand, and the strange dystopian world that Tidus finds himself in, as well as the mystery of just what happened, this really pulled me in then and there. I seriously got chills when Tidus walks into the "campfire" room (with all the waterfalls coming down from the broken ceiling). I was really looking forward to seeing an incredible post-apocalyptic rpg reminiscent of FF7's Midgar.

And then, they dropped him off in Besaid, and the game turned back into a stale fantasy RPG. :'(

I hate it when that happens. FF7, and FF10 both. Squenix, please don't do this to FF13. Please.

Also, it took me 80 hours to beat the main game, and an extra 120 hours to find all the secrets. In the time it took me to find everything, I could've played the game again, and again, though only getting halfway the third time.

Anyways, discuss:
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I cannot say I enjoyed FFX much. Sad I felt it was boring . It wasn't bad at what it was trying to do, i.e. convey a story/etc. But it felt too "controlled" and unadventurous for my tastes.

From the other thread since I didn't see it earlier.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
I liked the general atmosphere of FFX. It was for the most part like Tropical Island type of feel, which was nice. I particularly liked Besaid and Luca. Sure I'd have liked stuff like Zanarkand city, but oh well.

It took me 30 hours to beat it. I didn't bother doing things like getting the ultimate weapons. I don't see how those are possible to get without a strategy guide, and even then sounds like it takes too much work.

I also liked the linearity of it. Sure that means I won't be replaying it for a while. But it was nice just going forward without really feeling like you're going to get lost or whatever.

I hated having to switch out characters just so they could gain EXP. It'd be better to just fight the battle instead of making characters waste a turn. Status effects were actually useful, and it did away with the dumb ATB in favor of a nice turn based system.

I also loved some of the songs, such as Besaid and Luca. Summoned Beast battle is one of my favorite battle songs.

Blah for Blitzball. I thought the idea was interesting, but you just couldn't win without abusing Jecht shot.

I personally thought it was one of the better FF's, despite its flaws. And it has Lulu. :3
I thought FFX was cool as shit. The best part about it was how consistent the world and atmosphere was. Unlike a lot of games that just have all of these diverse and completely unrelated locales for the hell of it, FFX kept its consistency all the way around, from Besaid to Bevelle, you knew every location was straight from Spira. I absolutely loved Spira, and it had the best world design since FF12's Ivalice.
Totally agree. FF10's setting was fantastic and it felt far more like a real world than most other RPGs. Same with several gameplay elements, like getting rid of the ATB while not going back to the old style of turn based combat. Paryt management was a step up from the regular static parties although it could've been much better if they worked on it some more. And more interesting gear than crap that just increases damage/defence.

Not to say that it was great, but there's a lot of good stuff in the game.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Speaking about gear, I thought the weapon system was very interesting. At first, I'm wondering where the attack power values and stuff were. Eventually, I find out there were none. You can use pretty much whatever weapon you want. Brotherhood blade looks nice, so I'll use that! (It did, even had bubbles) Otherwise, you'd just go by the skills and stuff that the weapon has, such as Armor Piercing, Strength +10%, Water Elemental, stuff like that. Really neat system, which I was thinking of using for one of my projects.
I loved Final Fantasy 10 from everything from the battle system, sphere grid i found very well designed and the the characters all had back stories that were interesting. I was really looking forward to FF X-2 but i didn't find that to be all that great.
The Sphere Grid was interesting, yeah. I liked how you can edit the characters stats and mess around with them, but it didn't result in the loss of the characters uniqueness as in the case with VII, VIII, and to an extent, VI.
While I usually like more linear RPGs rather than open ones like Oblivion, FFX was way to linear for me. I mean, I like SOME variation in maps other than "walk in a straight line for a minute, turn left, walk in another straight line, ect". I agree the intro was awesome, but everything after that was just really boring. I also couldn't stand the Sphere Grid system. It just really bugged me. I can see why Square keeps remaking all these old FF games, cause they're way more fun to play than new stuff like FFVII and up, imo.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
FFX is awesome because it spawned FFX-2. I think I am going to have to make an FFX-2 topic tonight!

I played up to Mt. Gagazet on a friend's copy of FFX. It was pretty fun; I liked the battle system and the puzzles were well-done. I just wish that more of it was underwater.
Aside from the battle system I didn't enjoy FFX. I can't even comment on the game to the fullest extent since I stopped somewhere halfway through. I lost all drive to play FFX as it became more and more bland with further progression. Disliking most of the characters didn't help either, nor did the predictable plot twists.

And was I the only one who didn't like the intro?

Edit:
author=Sir Craze the Unhinged link=topic=1262.msg19067#msg19067 date=1212692504
FFX is awesome because it spawned FFX-2

No.
Holy shit really? I thought it was one of the most awesome intro's I've ever seen to a videogame. Out of curiosity and conversation, what's some of the RPG's and intro's you like, Taggart?
Mog:
I didn't hate the intro to FFX but I certainly wasn't amazed by it. I'll admit when I first saw it, I was amazed by the graphics but the actual intro itself was meh. Silly deathmetal with Tidus playing Blitzball and Auron walking around. I think mostly cause it was a large departure from the previous FF's I was taken aback by it.

As for what I do like: Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2, Wild ARMs Jack Intro, Xenogears FMV, FF6, possibly Vagrant Story, hell even FF8. I should probably include FF7 simply for it being my first console CGI FMV, but honestly hearing The Prelude at bootup probably had more impact as I hadn't heard it since my NES days. On that not, I even like FF1 when the Light Warriors cross the bridge and DQIV's intro, though those can be waived due to nostalgia. I dunno, as long as the intro gets me into the game it's fine with me, it can be simple in game graphics or epic FMVs, doesn't matter to me. FFX just didn't do it for me.
Haha, that's a respectable reply, I can understand that. FFX was an example of culture shock, but hey, I grew to love it!

I also want to say that FFX-2 isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is!
author=Duke Feldshlacht von Moogleschtein IV link=topic=1262.msg19071#msg19071 date=1212692802
Holy shit really? I thought it was one of the most awesome intro's I've ever seen to a videogame. Out of curiosity and conversation, what's some of the RPG's and intro's you like, Taggart?

Yeah, i agree, the intro was awesome.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Final Fantasy X started off pretty cool, then just went down from their.. until the best mini game for any Final Fantasy appeared in the way of BLITZBALL!!! I fucken loved Blitzball, spent like 20 hours on it haha, played it once for a whole day, forgot to save it though haha.

The story in this game was.. meh, characters pissed me off, except Wakka, I though he was the man! The progression of the game as well was just walking in a straight line for over half the game and didn't really hold me interested, but the gameplay sorta made up for it, I really liked the faster paced battle system and all it's flashy magic and stuff.

Yeah, i loved Wakka as well and Kimahri was pretty cool especially when you heard him talk for the first time. ;D

Blitzball was pretty awesome as well but i did find it stupid that if you lost the blitzball match in the storyline the game would continue on and you didn't get another shot. Happened to me the first time because i was too lazy to read how to play the game.
I liked how you didn't have to win the first Blitzball game. I was worried when I was getting whipped that I'd have to redo it over and over again but thankfully not.
(I don't know where I got that idea to begin with anyways)
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=1262.msg19209#msg19209 date=1212788748
(I don't know where I got that idea to begin with anyways)
I think it's with the whole BESAID AUROCHS COMEBACK talk before the match and how it's Wakka's last game.
Did anyone ever collect all the Celestrial weapons in the game. (or maybe there was only one) I never got a chance to, didn't know where they were.
Pages: first 1234 next last