"BLOCKING" TELEPORTS

Pages: 1
Greetings people.

I'd like to start with that this is the first post in this forum and that I'm fairly new to RPG Making 2003.

Now! What I want to do is to "block" a teleport to a house because nobody is home. So when the player steps on the teleport event a text will appear instead saying:

Nobody is home

(Choices)
Knock
Leave it

The problem I have is that the teleport is active all the time. Because I was multiple of these "teleport blocker" I though of doing a variable for all of them, because it's 2-3 houses that I though of doing this on.

But as far as I can see there aren't any way to "block" an event, for it to lay inactive until activated by a switch, trigger, variable.
Umm... I am not sure what you want here, but why not use event pages? conditional branches? You talk about switches, and variables, so I assume, that you know how to control them.

If not, read this tutorial
http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/601/
We have a real division of knowledge here. Over at rpgrevolution where I also post, nobody knows or cares how to use plugins, and pretty much low-medium level across the board. Here, there's people who can do stuff totally out of my league and act like it's nothing. And people who barely know how to run events.
author=Phohx
But as far as I can see there aren't any way to "block" an event, for it to lay inactive until activated by a switch, trigger, variable.

There is, when you open the event you'll see you can have multiple pages for that event. Make your teleport do nothing (or just display your message) on one page and have it actually teleport on the page activated by the switch.
Why waste a page? You can do it by Condition Switch ON, else.

Heck, if you know about End Event Processing, you can even do the following.

Condition Switch ON
(whatever)
End Event Processing
End
(whatever else after this, effectively blocking the teleport)
author=bulmabriefs144
Why waste a page?

You've intrigued me. What do you mean by "waste?"
author=Rod_Wadd
author=bulmabriefs144
Why waste a page?

One event page should be 10-20 byte of hard disc space! Less download size. Really. :D
author=Scalytank
One event page should be 10-20 byte of hard disc space! Less download size. Really. :D
I see!
Okay! I have a lot of good information and suggestions here and I will try it out.
Hopefully I know what you're talking about.

And regarding switches and variables:
I know how to handle and use switches but I'm still learning variables although they are quite similar. Just makes practise I guess. :b
author=bulmabriefs144
Condition Switch ON
(whatever)
End Event Processing
End
(whatever else after this, effectively blocking the teleport)

Where do I find this "Condition Switch ON"? Do I have to get a plug-in or am I just blind? Keep in mind that I use RPG Maker 2003, not the newest VX Ace.

And while I'm at it. This "door" that I want to block is "closed" because the character isn't home. So when he moves from the pub the "door" will become unlocked. So I have to have a switch or variable from him to the teleportevent.

I would add pictures but I don't know how to do it. I can across it somewhere on this website but I don't remember where. Does anyone know?
"Condition Switch On" = First page, "switch operations". He just called it like that because you have to make a switch that determens if the condition is met or not.

To show pictures: page 2, "show picture"
there's no need to be worried about wasting a page.

using a page has it's benefits, like if you want the graphic to be different for each state(locked and not-locked).
author=Trujin
To show pictures: page 2, "show picture"

No, you misunderstood me. I meant added picture/photos to the forum post.

author=Link_2112
there's no need to be worried about wasting a page.

using a page has it's benefits, like if you want the graphic to be different for each state(locked and not-locked).

Yeah. I've understood that. I still have some experimenting to do, but I'll get there. Specially with the help from you guys.
author=Rod_Wadd
author=bulmabriefs144
Why waste a page?

I mean, you have some people with thirty pages on stuff, when a simple if/else code will do. It looks like people don't know what they're doing (in other words, it's looks noob that they can't do more with less). The only time you really need a new page is for a new graphic, or you've put so much on that one page that it's freakishly long (or if you've got an event where you return back and forth between two screens, or if you actually use call event page system). If the stuff is like a treasure chest opening (unless you want it to stay open), you can put it on one page.

Phohx, I'm using 2k3 (I only use 2k3). It's called Condition Branch, it's on tab 2 or 3 of commands, I think.
author=bulmabriefs144
it's looks noob
well, to be fair, I'm a noob and I figured the other guy was too, judging from the question.
Pages: 1