Four heroes save the world from demons

Generica
Four heroes save the world from a demon

Generica TNG
Four heroes try to prevent the resurrection of a demon

Hellion
A lone hero investigates an ancient pit and prevents a demon's resurrection

Rofl

And Shoobinator, it's still too full of details and at the same time too vage!
We don't need to know that the villain is a wizard. IT doesn't matter, in the end. But we do need to know who is the protagonist because of its role.
The 'again' part isn't very meaningfull either
So it'd resume as:

Evil must be stopped.

Protagonist added:

Protagonist must prevent destruction. So that's the backbone of your story!

Some of you are doing excelent jobs, some of you are being too frilly! Remember, it's not about being a pretty sentence, but about being a meaningful one :]
At any rate I feel like this is helping or has the potential to help a lot of people. Keep the sentences comin'!
I forget if it was Hironobu Sakaguchi who said this or not, but all Final Fantasy plots can be summarized as "A group of heroes fights to save a dying world."

It's a compelling summary, as it not only clearly illustrates what all the games have in common, but also states a clear goal, clarifying the purpose of each game's narrative.
Wow, that's an interesting thing to keep note of. And your avatar creeped the fuck out of me.
lol! Sorry about that.

As I noted, I can't take credit for that, but it does work for every Final Fantasy game, just in different ways. It works just as well for Final Fantasy X as it does for Final Fantasy VII, VI, etc. It even works for The Spirits Within!

It's also significant that it's a 'dying world' rather than a healthy one that just happens to have a villain causing problems. Each Final Fantasy world has conditions about it that produce villains/antagonists, and they all have serious problems that need to be solved if the world is going to be saved. Guys like Kefka, Sephiroth or Seymour would never have been able to accomplish what they did if injustice and exploitation hadn't allowed their evil to fester.

It's a pattern that can be traced from the first game to the last, and it's really what ties the series together.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Lucidstillness
I forget if it was Hironobu Sakaguchi who said this or not, but all Final Fantasy plots can be summarized as "A group of heroes fights to save a dying world."

Amusingly, it describes Dissidia better than any individual main-series game. Which is probably the point!
Hm, you might as well make this thread, "Which type of conflict is most important in my game?"

• Man vs Man

• Man vs Society

• Man vs Self

• Man vs Nature

• Man vs Machine
That's paring too far back though and isn't really even talking about your plot. JS is right in that you provide unnecessary details without providing the right ones in the last description (though I disagree that taking out that it's a wizard is necessary):

Evil must be reimprisoned to prevent war.

I feel it provides the right amount of details (at least I'm guessing there's war brewing, given there's tensions between these two countries). This would be about as far back as I'd pare most descriptions.

This is just personal opinion, but a summary sentence paring down should include what needs to happen and why. It doesn't (again, IMO) need to potentially include the protagonist, as more often than not the story could continue without them (a flaw in a number of stories, once again in my opinion). The protagonist should only really be mentioned if it's their story (with LSX, it's about Ridman finding himself, for example, with the war story just being a backdrop; with Pokemon, the whole quest is just a framework for the hero's coming of age story).

As an example of a story that could really continue without the 'protagonist,' I put forth FFXII - the protagonist is Vaan, but really, the story isn't about him. He's just the character we see the story through, little more than a camera for us. In truth, the story is about Ashe and Balthier - they're the actual main characters on the good guy's side (Ashe moreso than Balthier; Balthier's place as one of the main characters is only cemented late in the story). Everything in the story is centered around them, and its their backgrounds that drive most of the story.
Actually @Travio, it depends on what you see as the "protagonist"! The protagonist doesn't necessarily have to be the one you play, heck, it doesn't even have to be a person! I... Can't explain it very well, though, I'm not very fine right now xD ><'
Not to mention my current drowsiness.

me, drowsy, looking at @Lucidstillness' avatar "uhh... did it just mov- AMGWTF"
author=JosephSeraph
Actually @Travio, it depends on what you see as the "protagonist"! The protagonist doesn't necessarily have to be the one you play, heck, it doesn't even have to be a person! I... Can't explain it very well, though, I'm not very fine right now xD ><'
Not to mention my current drowsiness.

me, drowsy, looking at @Lucidstillness' avatar "uhh... did it just mov- AMGWTF"

Hence my use of the ' around my first mention of protagonist referring to FFXII. I vaguely would argue against it not having to be a person (well, I would have to stretch that definition to include character, not just person - an inanimate object really can't be the protagonist of a story).
Neo Jado

The running plotlines of seemingly unrelated characters converge as the result of worldwide calamity.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Tina of the Stars
A young fairy girl saves her planet from a demon.

Chaos Sword (upcoming)
After being betrayed by his king, the protagonist sets out on a quest to stop the king from taking over the world.

I like this thread. It helps you stay on focus.
author=Shoobinator
Hm, you might as well make this thread, "Which type of conflict is most important in my game?"

• Man vs Man

• Man vs Society

• Man vs Self

• Man vs Nature

• Man vs Machine

What if the game has no conflict?
author=FlyingJester
author=Shoobinator

• Man vs Man

• Man vs Society

• Man vs Self

• Man vs Nature

• Man vs Machine

Games can have no story, but I assumed this thread was targeted towards those types of games. Moreover, a story with no conflict would probably be really boring.
Azaria Rising
An adventurer-for-hire (read: freelance mercenary) stumbles upon a necromancer aiming to bring back his fallen kingdom.

Knights's Code (What I'm planning to do after AR)
A conspiracy to overthrow the king must be exposed, and the only person who knows about it has been branded a traitor.
Game in Progress: Liberate

Two people go across a large world to stop an evil King who is creating a new religion to take over the world

Game in Progress: Shadow the Hedgehog 2: Mephiles Revenge

Shadow and Rouge leave Station Square going on a mission back to Soleanna as Mephiles is somehow revived.
author=pyrodoom

Shadow and Rouge leave Station Square going on a mission back to Soleanna as Mephiles is somehow revived.

For this exercise, it's best to cut out all names - they're unneeded details and, frankly, confusing to anyone who isn't familiar with them.

"The protagonists go on a mission after an evil is revived."

It says the same thing without the potential for confusion.
author=Travio
author=pyrodoom

For this exercise, it's best to cut out all names - they're unneeded details and, frankly, confusing to anyone who isn't familiar with them.

"The protagonists go on a mission after an evil is revived."

It says the same thing without the potential for confusion.

Ok! Thanks for correcting that statement...but really I can't be bothered to edit my post. :(
Btw, what is your avatar? Is he a white rapper, or an emo singing about his horrible fucking life, while danicing LIKE a rapper?
author=Shoobinator
author=FlyingJester
author=Shoobinator

• Man vs Man

• Man vs Society

• Man vs Self

• Man vs Nature

• Man vs Machine
Games can have no story, but I assumed this thread was targeted towards those types of games. Moreover, a story with no conflict would probably be really boring.

You could theoretically make a story for a game with no conflict. And if the story was actually interesting, that would be a very unique story for a game, wouldn't it?
author=FlyingJester
You could theoretically make a story for a game with no conflict.

And I could "theoretically" jump to the moon. :P Anyways, my point was that I didn't think something like this was possible, but attempt to prove me otherwise.

Also, I now realize categorizing conflict into the five aforementioned groups would likely restrict new forms of storytelling.
author=pyrodoom
Btw, what is your avatar? Is he a white rapper, or an emo singing about his horrible fucking life, while danicing LIKE a rapper?

I almost wish I had the ability to have a signature, just to answer this very question - this is the seventh or eighth time I've fielded this answer. =P

His name is Dero - he's the singer from a German... industrial rock? industrial metal? (Wikipedia also lists them as Neue Deutsche Härte, which is the same style as Rammstein - though this band helped originate the style) band named Oomph!. This particular image, he's sort of dressed as a priest merged with a coporate executive - it's from their music video, Gott ist ein Popstar (which, as you might guess, is 'God is a Popstar', one of them there double meaning names, like the song itself).
Pages: first prev 123 next last