RMN ANIME

Pages: first 123 next last
I have no idea how this is going to result but... anyway, the point is to give your opinion of shows (anime obviously) that you have liked (or hate) so others can compared others points of view with theirs, or choose a new anime to watch, so pretty much an overall opinion of RMN on the shows we have watched.

This is for opinions it is NOT for:
Posting a lot of "funny pictures" about the anime you love.
Telling others they suck for their taste in anime (anime can be bad, not the person)

I hope they are enough so just use your common sense so we don't have to add new "rules"
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Let's see where this leads! :)
I'll start off with Neon Genesis Evangelion.
At first I really loved it, because it starts out as a Mecha Anime with psychological elements (like Code Geass), for what I thought to be the perfect combination. I was a bit bothered by the main character's voice and whiny personality, but, having overcome Yukiteru from Mirai Nikki, I could relatively easily adjust to Shinji. It was a nice ride at first, although I was slightly disappointed that none of the main characters died. Near the end, the psychological aspect of the anime became more and more important, until eventually entire episodes were credited to the problems of various characters. I felt nothing really happened anymore, and the anime was merely trying (and succeeding) in making me feel bad. The beginning of the anime was really good, but it gradually grew less interesting. I recommend watching the anime until episode 20 or 21. In my opinion, the anime becomes too weird after that, but that might be because of budget cuts. I hear the movie is what the ending should have been, but I have yet to watch it.
Let's see. Starting with a classic like Evangelion sounds like a good point to start.

I feel the opposite of Jeroen, I think it starts slow without giving much, just AWESOME MECHAS! fighting against angels, over and over again were nothing was explaning to you, so it was getting boring but then, it happens a big plot twist that really changes the course of the story, and it isn't just, oh shit that's awesome... and then forgot about it. You begin to go deep and deep in the characters background since almost everyone is in catharsis after this point, plus, the most awesome and risky ending they could have done with their low budget.

I consider this an explosive anime, it starts neutral and it goes like that for a long while, and then it explodes into something incredible big. But it is also a show that focus on broken teenagers which was reason for many to hate.

I don't consider the End of Evangelion as the only real ending, the shows ending and the movie really complement themselves, one as being the Human Instrumentality Project part and the other as how they reach to that. There are also the movies that are a pretty cool spin-off but it is the same thing and they are still incomplete.
I'll list a few of my favourites here...

Dragon Ball Z
No anime thread is complete without a mention of DBZ. Things I like about the show is the very unique, and extremely recognisable art. It's pretty unique, whereas a lot of other anime comes over as pretty generic when it comes to their art. The fighting is good (well, duh). It's one of the few series that I actually prefer watching in English, the voice acting is cheesy, but cool. Great use of sound effects during battles for that extra explosive feel to it.
Bad points about DBZ is that the whole thing is just kind of dated, and you can see that in the quality, like using animations sparingly. The show is extremely slow paced, as in that it likes to throw a bunch of fillers at you between and even during every major battle. Probably a nice thing to watch while you're multi-tasking or something, because it'll keep you going for a long time with like 300+ (???) episodes in total. Story-wise it's nothing great. Just watch it for the fun stuff like the fighting or watching the characters develop over the course of the series.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
It's short, but very sweet. Basically it's 26 episodes filled to the brim with action and butt kicking with giant mechs. And by giant, I don't mean something the size of a building. Make it the size of a GALAXY and we're talking. So yeah, anyone who needs a good dose of action should watch this show. Art style is a love or hate I guess, it's fairly unique. What I like most about the art is the colouring, which is unlike any other anime I've seen (I won't claim to have seen 100's of series...) It just looks really nice. Animation quality is pretty nice as well, which is always a plus. The characters are fun, especially the main guy, he's totally awesome. Just watch it, you'll see what I mean.=P The story appears to be pretty simple, but if you look bit deeper into it, you'll notice some interesting themes that make it go a lot deeper than it looks at first sight. It's nice for those who don't care much about story and just watch action, but those who like a bit to think about can get it. Coming to a conclusion, I can't come up with a negative for this series. It's well-rounded, lots of action, good quality. It's just not for everyone.

Gundam SEED
Been a while since I watched this, but it's really good. It's a lot about the characters in an interesting settings (think futuristic world, mechs and a huge war), and has a pretty deep story that gives you something to think about. The art style is really nice, albeit a tad generic. Animations on the other hand are at a lower priority, which is a shame. Still, the nice art covers it up somewhat, so it's not too bad. I think the strongest point of this show, besides the characters and story, would be the music. It's really great, easily my favourite anime OST.=P
Length-wise it's nice, around 56 episodes I think. It doesn't have much, or any fillers at all, pacing is a bit slow, but nothing too bad. Worth checking out.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Neon Genesis Evangelion was a pretty decent study of pure, unadulterated angst...up until the ending, which just about ruined the show for me. And End of Evangelion was worse.

Gurren Lagann is...strange. For some reason everyone and their granny likes it and thinks its EPICLOL but it came across as immature and just plain stupid to me. I couldn't get past 6 episodes.

I already mentioned The Tatami Galaxy in the "What are you thinking about now?" thread but it really needs repeating because goddamn, what a show. Visually stunning, geniunely funny and with a hell of a message to boot.

I'm currently watching Gundam 00...haven't seen any of the other Gundams from start to finish so I can't really comment on its relative strength, but season 2 in particular is ridiculous for the amount of drama and OTT action going on. Hell, episode 5 feels like an epic finale.
For me it was 5 episodes on Gurren Lagann YM hahaha, And for some reason Gundam has never call my attention too much, might give it a try someday.

I am starting to be in love with the director of Tatami Galaxy and for Mad House to let him do this things. I can't tell if I love it as many did and maybe was because the first episodes I was praying, don't be stupid please don't do the same as endless eigth, please don't do an endlessh eight, and at the end it was the "same" concept but damn, thousands of time better. also have to give credit to the opening, it is one of the best I have seen.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Sword Art Online is a good anime to watch if you like rpgs, action and a little bit of psychology. Although it felt like it revolved around fighting more then the mind of the characters, there were quite some interesting deaths and the concept of a being trapped in a virtual life and what effect that has on you worked really well. The series is strong right until the final episode of the first season. I really recommend this anime.

Not season two though, don't even bother with season two.
author=Jeroen_Sol
Sword Art Online is a good anime to watch if you like rpgs, action and a little bit of psychology.

Like .hack but with a focus on action?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Aww, from the topic title, I thought this was going to be a collaborative event where RMN makes an anime. Oh well.

Sword Art Online was really good for the first ten episodes, and then I kept watching it for the rest of the show just out of inertia. It got progressively more and more generic.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Do you know what magical girl anime is? If you don't, think Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. Do you like it? No? You don't? I can't blame you. Now watch this show, because that's not what this is. It spends two and a half episodes tricking you into thinking that's what it's going to be. But it's a trick. It's actually the single best anime I've ever seen in my life. Every single person who knows anything about anime should watch no matter what; you'll regret it for the rest of your life if you don't. DO NOT READ ABOUT IT BEFORE WATCHING IT. You will spoil everything, it would be like reading about Lost before watching it.

Without spoiling anything, I will tell you only what hooked me, which was looking it up on animeseason.com and seeing a description that sounded like a totally generic magical girl anime, and below that, a list of genre tags:
Fantasy, Magic, School Life, Shoujo, Horror, Psychological

Gosick
Worst engrish name I've ever seen in an anime aside, this is one of my personal favorites, though that's a much more subjective opinion than Madoka Magica. It's 0% zany and 0% ecchi; it takes itself quite seriously although it's kind of stylized sometimes. Not an action show either though. It's a non-romantic non-comedic drama, which is really rare in anime. Set in Victorian Europe, the main character is a genius girl locked in a tower at a university. Her brother, who is a police detective, occasionally asks her to help with cases; her father is the a major political figure who sees his daughter as a threat. It starts out with a series of three or four different detective stories, before suddenly abandoning the episodic format just as you realize that the cases are all deeply connected and not episodic at all. If you like mystery dramas, you'll enjoy this.
author=Milennin
author=Jeroen_Sol
Sword Art Online is a good anime to watch if you like rpgs, action and a little bit of psychology.
Like .hack but with a focus on action?

No, with focus on harem, deux-ex-machina and slice-of-life.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
th... there's no harem in Sword Art Online

I mean season 2 has a doomed love triangle, but season 2 doesn't exist

Plus it does have good action for about the first ten episodes, which is the part that exists. I mean it's less slice-of-life and more slice-of-life-and-death-encounters.
Well, the strongest user of the game training is always out-screen since all that you see the first episodes (except the first one.) Is show him how kick-ass he is, that is only being excused as he was a beta-tester. And don't forget his harem.
Episodes
2-Is obvious this girl is going to end with him.
3-A dumb girl that sleeps in the same bed like if it was something everybody do.
4-A loli with a pet (wich are things you never see again) they sure make the fan-service a little bit more spicy for the fact of the girl's age (only in japan)
5-Again with the main woman resolving a case that has nothing to do with the main plot, but for very first time: a girl that doesn't fall in love with the hero, so let's compensate it; she talks by using her ass (false) so let's shoot it.
6-nothing relevant to the plot
7-The hero breaks things of a female-blacksmith, and she falls in love with him. have to add that this girls are never going to take an important part of the plot later.
8-Let's waste half episode with the main girl making something to eat for the hero
9-Finnaly something of action and surviving and it is relevant to the plot but of course the hero is victorious cause the forces of deux-ex-machina.
10-well... at least they are moving a bit forwad the story.
11-those 2 episodes were exahusting lets take some vacations and add another loli to the harem at least she is involve in the story more than the others.
12-Some more of D-E-M, a little of plot at least
13-let's waste more than half episode in cooking aaaand FISHING! cause everybody loves fishing, oh yes and in the final 5 minutes do something important on the plot.
14-well.... since the script so far are just nosenses and we sign a contract that we will add the two seasons in 25 episodes and we barely has the first one.... let's end it now abruptly with a deux ex machina.

The second season is mario saving princess peach but at least the follow a plot that's why I like it more. Overall I think it is pretty bad.

author=MrChearlie

Can we at least post a picture from the anime so others will know how it looks like ? :D

I 'll go with one of my most favorite for now :

Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl

If you are a fan of Yuri or Gender-Bender anime, this is one that you can't pass. :D

The story starts with Hazumu Osaragi (For those who played The Adventure Of High School Students, does it ring any bells ?), a shy guy who has a crush on his friend, Yasuna Kamiizumi. Gathering his courage, he confesses his feelings to Yasuna, but unfortunately, she declined. Heartbroken, he decided to back to where they first met, on top of a mountain.

Meanwhile, NASA detected an alien spaceship crashing in Japan. Hazumu mistook the spaceship for a shooting star. It hit him directly in the face, killing him instantly. However, the aliens revived him, although not the same way he used to be. They accidentally reconstructed his body as female, and even announced to the whole world what they did. Now he has to get used to his new life, and deal with the attentions from the people around him.

This one has both anime and manga, and each ends differently. :P
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
LockeZ: ...uh i was about to link an interesting blog post criticizing pmmm but scibbe deleted it. just sent him a message asking him about it though so MAYBE I'LL HAVE IT TO LINK SOON

anyway

i have watched three animu ever

SPICE & WOLF: Three eps in. I really like it. Karsuman told me to watch it. It's his favorite. I'm a slacker.

PERSONA 4 THE ANIMUTION: currently watching. two eps in. i don't really like anime but it's persona and yu is amazing so w/e.

BLUE EXORCIST:
uh. holy shit. I watched the subs on hulu, and the first few dubbed eps that are coming out (up through the one where rin tames blackie)

I kind of love it a lot. The music is terrific, the characters are fun (most of them, anyway. I don't like a handful, and Shiemi gets on my nerves occasionally), and the story flows pretty well. It's only one season (25 eps) and only two-three are filler, but they're not really filler at all since they're used to strengthen the characters' relationships and flesh out some of the side characters.

In a FAR LESS VAGUE ANALYSIS:

Rin Okumura and his brother Yukio are fascinating in how they both deal with Rin having Satan inside of him. Rin has -no idea- what to do with it at first, other than to be aggressive toward everything, while Yukio is a schemer who you want to like and trust but can't always fully believe in. I also consider Shura an MC, although she's only properly introduced halfway through, and she's interesting in how she takes her relationships with Shiro Fujimoto and Yukio and then applies it to Rin (and to an older Yukio, too).

My favorite thing, though, is that the series takes an idea of "lol demonz" and makes it truly its own. The demon designs are wonderful, being cute or horrifying as appropriate. The background rules about the exorcist community and how it works are thought out and then actually used in the show outside of a brief mention for the sake of """worldbuilding""" like so many games do (dunno about shows, I don't watch many). Basically, it's a concept that fits the size of 25 eps well, while maintaining a level of depth throughout that makes it feel like this Japan is totally real, even though it's obviously fantasy.

It also (mostly) shies away from BIG SWEAT DROPS and chibis and shit so that makes it appeal to me more.

author=Mr_Detective
author=MrChearlie
Can we at least post a picture from the anime so others will know how it looks like ? :D

Sure you can! what you can't is post all the pictures you think are funny just because the topic says "Anime"

This kind of images are the ones I mean

Edit: You can do what Craze did to be more specific
Edit: @Craze, Gotta love Hiroyuki Sawano for that awesome ost!
Jeroen_Sol
Big sweat drops and chibis are what make anime great! :(
But I guess the should only be used in anime that don't take themselves too seriously though, like Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. I too wouldn't like sweat drops appearing in Death Note and such.

Speaking of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, I really loved it. I made a habit of watching an episode whenever I felt down (Sometimes due to other anime) and it always cheered me right up. I haven't seen any other daily life anime, so I can't really rate it fairly, but the shetches really are funny as hell. :D

author=LockeZ
Aww, from the topic title, I thought this was going to be a collaborative event where RMN makes an anime. Oh well.

If only this were possible...
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=MrChearlie
For me it was 5 episodes on Gurren Lagann YM hahaha, And for some reason Gundam has never call my attention too much, might give it a try someday.

I am starting to be in love with the director of Tatami Galaxy and for Mad House to let him do this things. I can't tell if I love it as many did and maybe was because the first episodes I was praying, don't be stupid please don't do the same as endless eigth, please don't do an endlessh eight, and at the end it was the "same" concept but damn, thousands of time better. also have to give credit to the opening, it is one of the best I have seen.
;( Well aside from a few awful character designs, Gundam 00's actually pretty decent. There are quite a few nice touches here and there such as parallels with modern terrorism and things, which are for the most part handled quite well (props to whoever came up with the name "Azadistan" for a country, that is actually superb).

I really need to watch more of Masaaki Yuasa's stuff! Maybe after Gundamu.

Joss Whedon fans (Craze IIRC?) might want to check out Darker Than Black which at the very least has a stellar 1st season. Not a fan of Bones animation but it's got a neat premise and a few killer episodes here and there.

Oh, and of course I shouldn't need to mention Monster. I really shouldn't. (Protip: If you haven't heard of Monster, kill yourself)
author=MrChearlie
Well, the strongest user of the game training is always out-screen since all that you see the first episodes (except the first one.) Is show him how kick-ass he is, that is only being excused as he was a beta-tester. And don't forget his harem.
Episodes
2-Is obvious this girl is going to end with him.
3-A dumb girl that sleeps in the same bed like if it was something everybody do.
4-A loli with a pet (wich are things you never see again) they sure make the fan-service a little bit more spicy for the fact of the girl's age (only in japan)
5-Again with the main woman resolving a case that has nothing to do with the main plot, but for very first time: a girl that doesn't fall in love with the hero, so let's compensate it; she talks by using her ass (false) so let's shoot it.
6-nothing relevant to the plot
7-The hero breaks things of a female-blacksmith, and she falls in love with him. have to add that this girls are never going to take an important part of the plot later.
8-Let's waste half episode with the main girl making something to eat for the hero
9-Finnaly something of action and surviving and it is relevant to the plot but of course the hero is victorious cause the forces of deux-ex-machina.
10-well... at least they are moving a bit forwad the story.
11-those 2 episodes were exahusting lets take some vacations and add another loli to the harem at least she is involve in the story more than the others.
12-Some more of D-E-M, a little of plot at least
13-let's waste more than half episode in cooking aaaand FISHING! cause everybody loves fishing, oh yes and in the final 5 minutes do something important on the plot.
14-well.... since the script so far are just nosenses and we sign a contract that we will add the two seasons in 25 episodes and we barely has the first one.... let's end it now abruptly with a deux ex machina.

The second season is mario saving princess peach but at least the follow a plot that's why I like it more. Overall I think it is pretty bad.

ok, i know the op said no ragging on users for their opinion but what you're writing here sounds pretty ridiculous to me. this falls more on the category of comparing my opinion to yours, as i'm trying my hardest to avoid any personal attacks. no hard feelings, i just strongly disagree with what you're saying.

half the things you say are 'pointless' and 'nothing to do with the story' are all about character development and conveying the human emotion that would exist in such a world. it's about them making the best of the situation and living a normal life in the virtual world. (i think so, anyways) that's what makes this interesting beyond just action scenes. it sounds like you wanted this to be pure action and since it's not you are picking everything that is not action and saying it's pointless.

it's 'obvious the girl will end up with him' but anything they do together is pointless because its 'obvious the girl will end up with him'. how can they fall in love if they don't do those kinds of things? they started off on the wrong foot and slowly developed their relationship. it could have gone either way, but yeah, usually the main characters end up together because they are the main characters. he was a genuinely nice guy and most girls can fall in love with that kind of person very easily.

instead of accepting the story as it is, you have to throw around terms like deux ex machina and harem. it's just like the tv tropes nonsense. you boil everything down to a basic thing and say it's "all the same" because it shares a common element. completely disregarding the fact that, ya know, that's how life is. people fall in love and develop feelings for people of the opposite sex that they spend time with and who are kind and compassionate to them. especially young kids, who are a big demographic playing video games these days and logically would be in this world. they tend to fall in love very easily. and sometimes things just end abruptly. it's not like it was entirely unforeseen. there were events that led up to the 'a-ha' moment of the first season ender. but yeah, he wins because usually the main character wins.

maybe it's cause i don't watch tons of anime or maybe you're just too picky and analytical, but i think you should enjoy something for what it is instead of comparing it to everything else and not liking it because it's not what you wanted it to be.

but nm. lolharem
@Link, Allright, I'm still not with you with the show explanations, they still makes it just wrong in a lot of aspects I just couldn't avoid to see hahaha. outside of SAO, I am with you.

I'm afraid I was agressive, but I didn't was ragging their users for their opinions but wanted to give mine, which is a rant against the show and not the the others opinions. But never intend to make feel others bad. So sorry for that, the reason i said I dont' know how this is going to result was more because of me.

Indeed I am to picky and analytical and I like that but It has give me troubles, Disagreeing with people and explaining deeply why, bothers a lot of people and they take it like if I had something against them (Which is false) and this let me where people can explain a lot of why they liked certain show and I am just allowed to say I didn't like it cause it causes trouble to go further than that. But allright I'm going to be hell of careful with this so it doesn't happen again.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
The point of this thread is opinions.

Opinions should be shared.
Pages: first 123 next last