YOUR OPINIONS ON THE DMC REBOOT?

Pages: first 12 next last
What do you guys think of the DmC reboot?

For me Dante used to be a cheek and tongue bad ass who had a silent sensitiveness about his past which you never saw, until someone pissed him off, and even then he was strong in the face of this adversity. But now I feel he's turned into an emo/punk/Twilight teen idol. Im sorry to stay this. Even Virgil looks like a blonde whipped down Clark Kent. DmC did a great job with level design and use of color but overall the story was to atypical of American teen novels. Even Dumundus looks like Lex Luther and the women, sigh.

They use to be strong independent with kickass abilities and now, now, blah, just Twilight like. I can understand Kat's strengths lies in her useful knowledge of Wiccan and the occult, that understandable, but the way she gets passed around: shot, bitch slapped by Dumundus, and told to shut up by Virgil. The game just totally alienates me as a female player. This game just seems to scream that women are either sluts or weak. Sad
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
The "reboot" Dante grows up to be "old" Dante. It's a prequel as well as a reboot.

They made attack resets even -easier- which pleases me immensely. The demo had a really cool setting with its shifting city; as for everything else? We'll see, I guess.
I think this best describes my feelings of the new reboot
This game wouldn't get 80% of the hate it gets if it weren't called "DmC".
The premise doesn't sound particularly bad, and gameplay has received no complains so far,
most of the hate comes from having a char and universe we already were familiar with changed a lot.

This, of course, is merely my opinion based on what I've read and heard about the game, I haven't actually played it.
I don't care about this game. I loved DMC 3/DMC 4, and I also really like the anime, but when I saw "this" for the first time, I knew I wouldn't play it.

They went from a totally cool and likeable character to a complete douche. Nero is 10 times more appealing character than the new Dante, and he was a teenage punk (still liked him though). And the bit about Virgil? REALLY?

Say what you will about the fact that it's supposed to be a prequel when Dante was still a selfish prick, I only have one thing to reply with. DMC 3 was the prequel. You know, when Dante was a punky teenager with no care in the world and a shitty attitude, and then during the course of the game he developed into the "old" Dante fans like so much. It even explains how he got the name for his iconic shop "Devil May Cry".

Sure, I suspected the core gameplay would be there, but the gameplay alone is not enough for me to give this game a try/buy, I'd rather play something else (would probably be a good idea for me to get the HD collection instead, to finally play DMC 1/2, I know the story, but have yet to experience those games).

PS: stupid game title is stupid

TL,DR: Don't like the new...errr, whoever/whatever THAT person is. I sure don't know him, and I sure as hell don't like him. PASS.
author=Elements
most of the hate comes from having a char and universe we already were familiar with changed a lot.

That's very important.

What MGS4 did with Snake's personality was a travesty, too.
Hah, I've been following the development of DmC very closely since the beginning, and it's been a crazy ride. GameFAQS boards have been divided in to 2 camps, "anti" and "pro", and these two factions wage war every day. it's reached ridiculous heights really.

I'm pro-DmC in case you care.
Is the gameplay good? If it is, the changes to the 'story' don't matter - Devil May Cry's story and characters were never its strong point and were pretty much always making me go, "Wait, what?" in the other games anyways. They always seemed like a rather horrid framing for an amusing action game, and that was about it.
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
This reboot did something good for the series, it got rid of all of the useless characters that had been tacked onto the original series. Devil May Cry was going to the way of sonic the hedgehog, focusing on shitty new sidekicks. Lucia from the second and Nero from the fourth. Nero especially bothered me, one sword, one gun and one 'style' where Dante could have simply incorporated all of these into his own.

The new Dante as a character wasn't as bad as people truly think. From the beginning he was more fleshed out you watch him develop and come to care about the cause he joins and humanity as a whole.

My only problem was the weapons you get as the game progresses, all of them just lacked the oomph that old series had.

Oh that and the fact that they basically stole the entire setting from Panty and Stocking, with Garterbelt.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Ark
Oh that and the fact that they basically stole the entire setting from Panty and Stocking, with Garterbelt.

how the hell is this a fault
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
author=LouisCyphre
author=Ark
how the hell is this a fault

Thinking about it, yeah it really isnt.

http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/new-dante-and-panty-anarchy.13492/
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
dante is hot

i would have sex with dante, but not that fugly old dante

this is my input
Everybody had their opinion formed before it came out and it will never change.
When it was first announced, my reaction was "aww, c'mon! What's with the lame Dante?" But I eventually got over this after watching some videos.

Now I wanna play it, but right now I've got so many games I wanna play and not much time. Maybe after Ni No Kuni...
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
The only acceptable response to this is "FUCK YOUUUUUUUUU!"
^ This.

Though, I have to admit, it doesn't seem like anyone PLAYED the game who talked about it... I got it through a trade (Metroid Prime Trilogy was the barter; yes, I know, hate me for it) and actually... thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, yes, there were some stupid parts, and a lot of social commentary where it may not exactly have been needed. Though some of it opened up some REALLY cool things (I'm looking at you, Bob Barbas).

I'd have to agree with the sentiment of the game being too easy, though. I played it on Nephilim for my first playthrough, which is basically the game's Hard difficulty and... it felt easier than even Normal in previous DMCs (sans DMC2, of course; that never gets hard unless it's The Despair Embodied or Secret Rooms 40+). Really the game only got CLOSE to "hard" during the final boss fight. And it was a pretty awesome one.

There were some pretty great glitches in the original game, though, before they patched it for Bloody Palace and the Vergil DLC. The infinite jump is still in there (which uses Fireworks and the Slam ability the gauntlets have), but there USED to be an infinite glide glitch, which you could use to go out-of-bounds and skip all sorts of things. I've been tempted to get my hands on the PC version just so I can do that kind of stuff again, though Steam LOVES to auto-update...
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
You must be better at those kinds of games than me; I tried the demo on the hardest difficulty and got utterly raped.
author=Trihan
You must be better at those kinds of games than me; I tried the demo on the hardest difficulty and got utterly raped.

Well... it's not to say I didn't DIE at all. But I didn't have any moments like DMC1 where I'd be fighting a boss and dying 15 times (and loving it because mah gawd Nelo 3 is a fun fight). I forget though if the demo's hardest difficulty was Son of Sparda 'cause that's "Very Hard" whereas Nephilim is just "Hard" (and Devil Hunter is "Normal" and "Human" is Easy). I still gotta do the actual game on Son of Sparda and even worse is one of the trophies is for getting a SSS on every mission on Nephilim. I definitely didn't do that my first time through.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
My only lasting memories are the juxtaposition of Dante being impaled by a giant sword, and pulling himself off it without a scratch, and then of course the emotional, "WHYCOULDN'TIFILLYOURDARKSOULWITHLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!?!?!?"
Pages: first 12 next last