SKYWARD SWORD OR TWILIGHT PRINCESS, WHICH SHOULD I BUY?

Pages: first 12 next last
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
So after messing around with Zelda Classic and doing research on the mind-boggling timeline of the Legend of Zelda series, I'm willing to give one of the newer console titles a try.

So which would you recommend, Skyward Sword or Twighlight Princess? I've heard mixed reactions on the two games prior to this thread but I'd like to hear this community's opinion.

... Or would you recommend neither? :P
Why isn't this a poll? :o
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
The one that's cheaper.
Ratty524
author=kentona
Why isn't this a poll? :o

I didn't see it, how can I add it in? D:
author=Isrieri
The one that's cheaper.

Twilight Princess? Is it good, though?
Isrieri
Twilight Princess isn't a Zelda game that will blow you away. It's just Ocarina of Time with new faces. However, I liked the dungeons much more than in Skyward Sword. They're some of my favorite dungeons in the series. The story and characters are far far less irritating than in Skyward Sword, and it was just a more enjoyable game for me.

Plus, Midna is awesome.
Ratty524
author=Isrieri
Plus, Midna is awesome.

That was particularly a selling point for me.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
Twilight princess is, by far, the superior game.
Skyward Sword is excellent. It follows the Ocarina of Time structure but has a unique control scheme which makes it a completely different experience from any game you've ever played. The soundtrack is also kickass.

Twilight Princess is still great once you get over the initial hump, although the wolf portions never get good. It has the coolest Ganondorf battle in the series too.

I fully recommend Skyward Sword if you have to choose one.
Having not actually played Skyward Sword but only seen it played, Twilight Princess seems like the better bet - I'm not sure how well it plays on the Wii though, because of the controls (what with being ported to be shoehorned onto the system), but it played very nicely on GameCube.

Of all the Zelda games, my suggestions are Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Link to the Past. They're the best of the games, imo.
Ratty524
Interesting. I always thought the aesthetics of Skyward Sword were gorgeous, and I like it a bit over the edgier appearance to Twilight, but from what people seem to be saying, Twilight is better in gameplay.

Keep talking, though. I'd love to hear more opinions.

EDIT: @Travio- I've played all of those games. I probably like Majora's Mask the least on the account that the three days mechanic got pretty annoying, but on the other two I definitely agree.
I also prefer Twilight, the dungeons, weapons, bosses are excelent with some few excceptions, even the story (which it isn't amazing since.. well it is zelda, it is pretty simple) I also love the dark athmosphere of the game as well for the graphics. And Midna rocks!

I kind of hate Skyward because of the hype, the perfect 10 on ign and a lot of fans that say it is the best game evaaa, but outside it isn't really a bad game, it is enterteining and has a lot of cool features that they learn about twilight mistakes, like the tears vessel as well the pacing is a lot faster, add some other cool features like fighting against the bosses you have already fought. but, This is a different zelda, cause all the dungeons weren't memorable, except for a ship, the same with the bosses, were a huge monster that despite of looking as a creation for monsters inc, it was pretty good and for a gay dude that you fight a lot of times are the only ones I remember. But they focus a lot in the world map, since now all the world map is like a huge dungeon, so this is the interesting part of this game. Also your help is an annoying robotic sword soul, not as navi but still.

Edit: I also have encounter a lot of different opinions where I normally in the side of Twilight Princess but at the end is the player taste.
Edit: Buy both hahaha, Nintendo put a lot of effort in both and you can notice when playing the game.
khazga
Perpetual Nuisance Machine
Tough call. My personal preference is Skyward Sword. It's a gorgeous game (especially to the ears) and it feels more epic in scope than Twilight Princess. I also felt that both the dungeons and story flowed a little better than in TP.

I never could really get into the wolf parts in TP, but some of the items you pick up were definitely my favourite in the series.

All that aside, I agree with MrChearlie: If you do enjoy the Zelda series then you'll find plenty to like in either, so you should definitely try to get your hands on both at some point.
Ratty524
author=khazga
All that aside, I agree with MrChearlie: If you do enjoy the Zelda series then you'll find plenty to like in either, so you should definitely try to get your hands on both at some point.

Lol I'm trying save up a little bit, so while I may consider both in the future, I'm looking at one game for now. In regards to affordability Twilight Princess is certainly winning. xD
Just posting that I edited (again) my post for some mistakes that really changed what I wanted to say.
Oh my god, SUCH a hard decision!!!

Well, lets talk about a controversial topic: the Silent Realms and the wolf parts.

SS: I HATEHATEHATE the Silent Realm!
TP: I LOVELOVELOVE goin' around as a wolf!

Music is awesome in both!!!

I love them both SO much!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't pick!!!!!

I should not have been asked this question...
Ratty524
In the end I got Twilight Princess. :P

I don't really like how the beginning is filled with fetch quests and dumb mini-games, plus that fishing segment was confusing and painful, but I'm at the wolf part where I exit the Twilight Realm and getting that shield for Midna, and I'm starting to enjoy it more.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Skyward Sword is the superior game. Both games have mediocre-to-excellent level design.

A tangent, but the reason Mario, Zelda, etc. are still the cream of the crop (and superior to, say, Call of Duty from a creative standpoint) is because they are constantly evolving. Both games were great steps forward for the franchise, but Skyward Sword was more of a leap. Twilight Princess is more of a fine-tuning of the OoT/MM formula, with generally solid results. TP has its flaws, though.
Isrieri
I'd say Skyward Sword was a leap, followed by a faceplant into the dirt. It may have been a leap forward, but it wasn't a graceful one. Sure they got the motion controls as good as they could be, but I can't help but feel the game needed to be considerably dumbed down in order to accommodate it. The gameplay itself was okay, but the overall content of the game as a whole was inferior.

My big selling point was I liked the characters and world of Twilight Princess more: The progression of events feel more natural and player-driven, wheras in Skyward it's like you're getting strung along the whole time.
author=Ratty524
In the end I got Twilight Princess. :P

I don't really like how the beginning is filled with fetch quests and dumb mini-games, plus that fishing segment was confusing and painful, but I'm at the wolf part where I exit the Twilight Realm and getting that shield for Midna, and I'm starting to enjoy it more.

The beginning is... painful... But after that it's so awesome that I think you'll love it. It's very lovable. Very. VERY LOVABLE!!!

Sorry about that.

Skyward Sword is wonderful too..... I'll admit it can feel like you're just being led around to random areas in search of whatever, but it's very awesome anyway. One thing to know: Fi in SS is annoying in a not-so-good way, while Midna in TP is annoying in a good way.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
They're both two of the worst Zelda titles I've ever played, so I'll second whichever is cheaper.
Pages: first 12 next last