WHY YOUR NAME?

KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Shinan
So yeah Shinan doesn't really mean anything and I don't know how it popped into my head originally during that character creation sitting. I wanted something that could roll off the tongue easily enough while being obviously fantasy-ish I guess. It also was before my "japanese period" so although it sounds like something a japfag would come up with it was before I got to that part of my life.
"Shinan" in Japanese means "to instruct" or "to teach". It can also mean "next to impossible", as in "shinan no waza" which translates to "task that is next to impossible". It's a really philosophically deep word.
Further reading.

Here on RMN and other places like on IRC, I use the name King Arthur (alternatively KingArthur and King_Arthur). The source of the name should be obvious. King Arthur was one of my childhood heroes, having read and seen about him and his Knights of the Round Table, and it was a natural choice when I first started to really lurk the internet and needed a username. Sometimes I add on the numbers "6687" to it, for King Arthur6687, when the name isn't available like on AIM. The number originates from my forum account ID at Gaming World before they changed from IPB to SMF.

Another name I've concurrently used is Dalewyn and Dalewyn Lancaster. The name first came about when I was getting into RO for the first time and needed a name for my character. The phrase "over the dale and through the woods" came to mind, and I combined the "dale" with the Welsh suffix "-wyn" because it sounded cool and very medieval. I later learned "-wyn" meant "white" in Welsh, which meant "Dalewyn" would translate roughly to "white valley", completely unintentional on my part but an interesting result nonetheless. The "Lancaster" part comes from the English Duchy and City of Lancaster because I personally find that name sounds awesome. I've since also used the name for the protagonist of any RM game I will make, none of which have come to fruition or public consumption as of yet.

Usernames seem so simple at first glance, and yet it's clear reading this topic and looking back at my own usernames that they all have an interesting history to them that just needs a storyteller to unravel. This topic's awesome.
O most holy apostle, St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus -- People honor and invoke you universally, as the patron of hopeless cases, of things almost despaired of. Pray for me, for I am so helpless and alone. Please help to bring me visible and speedy assistance. Come to my assistance in this great need that I may receive the consolation and help of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly (state your request) and that I may praise God with you always. I promise, O blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, to always honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to you by publishing this request. Amen.
It is my nickname plus the answer to life, the universe, and everything!
...Well actually I got the number randomly from a certain online virtual pet game several years ago. When I register there, the site generated a random number and add it to my username. Since then the number got stuck with me.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=seiromem
author=Marrend
To make a long story short, I got my pseudonym from a party member that my older brother had in Might and Magic - Secret of the Inner Sanctum. No, this was not the same brother that created Legacy and Summoner.
but the point is to tell the long story! =P

Eh, why not?

It was around 1987 when we got Might and Magic - Secret of the Inner Sanctum for our Commodore64. It was among the first "real" games we played. The three of us made our own party members on the same disk, and because of this, the party roster could only support each of us to have a party size of five, with maybe one or two slots open. I think I even recall somebody, possibly myself, whining about how nobody should have a larger party than anybody else? Anyway, the older of my two brothers named his characters after people we knew. His party leader was named after himself (Obviously!), but, more important, his sorcerer was named after me. At some point, he renamed his characters. Obviously, he renamed his sorcerer "Marrend". But that didn't matter. I still wanted that wizard in my party. I offered to trade my wizard, thinking to myself, "He's never going to accept this trade. His party is so amazingly good, and mine is so amazingly crappy..." Except that the trade went through! I couldn't believe it!

Though, saying that, this is the only place on the internet where I identify myself as "Marrend". Elsewhere, you can find me under another name, but that, as they say, is another story.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I have spent a majority of my life being annoyed at people mispelling and mispronouncing my real name, so I thought Y's would make a difference. It doesn't, because of the unfortunate fact that the brain reads the word as a whole and not letter by letter, so not only will people misspell, they won't realize they've made the mistake.

This may be a mindfuck: it's K-Y-R-S-T-Y ;)

The Sorceress title comes from that memorable playthrough of FF8 where I named Rinoa after myself and, as a result, while she's being taken away the Memorial dudes call her 'Sorceress Kirsti'

and here we are. I've kept the same name across the board since I was about 13, however I currently use puddle or yami no mizutamari (shadow puddle) on Skype.

there's no story behind the puddle. I use Yami no Mizutamari because it sounds badass but means Shadow Puddle. (It's Yugioh's fault)
Mine's kinda ...more on a fun thing for me ;w;)

In my lore, I had a character named Archeia (who went through too many name changes until I settled with that one). There's a big worldwide organization where she works for and it's called the Great Divisions. She's the head of the 7th Division or codename, "Division Heaven"

It's where you can get all kinds of information about the world and stuff like that. I added Nessiah as a pun for Messiah. That and people think Archeia is my self avatar when it isn't, so I figured adding an extra name would make them differentiate it, somehow... <_<;
Where does the name Emirpoen come from some of you may wonder? I've heard many mention emir and poen being arabic words, but they actually have nothing to do with my name.

Some people from waaaay back in the day would know the real meaning, but for those of you that don't; emirpoen is backwards for neoprime or rather NEO Prime, my former username.

There's your story time for the day...
Erelah is a Hebrew name meaning Holy Messenger.
It is a female name.
I am male.

I used to go by the name Riva, the name of a talking alien fish character I developed for a live experimental show during my college radio years.

Having grown a bit, I decided to become BD Design in order to be more professional sounding. I use it for the advertising portion of my primary business.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Nightowl comes from some shitty novel that I once read. Nowadays I use Styroksipaprika (on Steam)
What does Styroksipaprika mean? Well, it's Finnish for polystyrene bell pepper.
I wanted the most generic name possible for this site.

So, this.
In my attempt to make a force similiar to the Onion Knights in Final Fantasy for my own game universe, I came up with "Gourd Knights". Clae is the last name of the greatest Gourd Knight. I happen to know a bit about gourds, so it seemed to be an obvious fruit/veggie army to me. I was shocked to learn very few people know what a gourd is.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
My "actual" username (Ocean's Dream) is a combination username, but to start with I was making games like Island Sky back then (2005 or so) and was very into making tropical inspired games.

I had initially thought to use Shinryu or Ragnarok for my username (big FF fan of course) but I didn't. My 2 projects back then just after Island Sky was Ocean's Rhapsody and Island Dreams. Both are cancelled due to HD dying but the idea stuck around for Island Dreams and became Adalyn instead.

So I just combined the 2 project names and that was my username. tada. I sometimes shorten it to Ocean like I did here but really it's Ocean's Dream. I like it and from all my beach/water inspired stuff I think it fits me well.

That is the story. I can't change my username back to Oceans Dream so it's just Ocean here, everyone shortens it to that anyway so
I went through an 80s hair metal phase in high school and thought the name "White Lion" sounded neat even though they were not one of the better 80s hair bands.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
So "seiromem" is "memories" spelled backwards... I can't believe I didn't catch that.

Anyway... I probably have the dumbest username in the Maker boards,but right now I kind of treat is as my online identity.

I first conceived this username when I played one of my first MMOs, Graal Online, where I named myself "Ratty165" due to my obsession with rodents at the time and the "165" kind of rolled off the tongue. In later years, as I started getting into RPG Maker and joining some of the RMXP boards at the time, I changed it to "Ratty524", with the "524" being the month and the day of my birthday... xD

While I acknowledge that the name isn't really inspired and is stupid, it has kind of grown on me and its a name that no other person seems to take much, so I feel like I have an identity with it. That's it.
Zephyr; A light wind or west wind

My favorite classic element is wind. I like wind overall.
If I remember correctly, the username is the result of checking for cool words associated with wind. It's been with me for about 10 years or so.

It's not very unique however...

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
that is

actually really, really clever. but you do realize i'mma be calling you "cerworn" now right

Gourd_Clae
In my attempt to make a force similiar to the Onion Knights in Final Fantasy for my own game universe, I came up with "Gourd Knights". Clae is the last name of the greatest Gourd Knight. I happen to know a bit about gourds, so it seemed to be an obvious fruit/veggie army to me. I was shocked to learn very few people know what a gourd is.

legit laughing at this. this is beautiful
author=Craze
that is

actually really, really clever. but you do realize i'mma be calling you "cerworn" now right

it's okay, i used to nickname some of my pokemon that too
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Mine's a nonsense word. Completely made up. Back when I was playing Pokémon Silver for the first time, when I'd find one of those worthless stationary items, I'd write 'HALIBABICA!!!' on it, then sell it for sweet, sweet Pokédollars.

As far as I know, it's not a word in any language. I've never run into anyone else using it. If you Google it, you'll find everything I've ever done online. Every shameful thing. ;_;