Pages: first 12 next last
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Since I Started Keeping Track:
34 approvals
98 denials
35% approval rate

(Updated: 4/18/13)

Hey guys. I've just a few things to mention.

Out of the last 25 games I've looked at in submissions, I've approved only four. Some of the denials are over minor things, but I'm hoping we can break this trend.

I am going to start keeping track of game submissions statistics; they'll be general statistics, with no particular games or users being called out.

I'm thinking about overhauling the submissions guide to make it more current.

The bottom line is that an RPG (or any game, really) is a lot of work, and the game page is the front line of that work. Prose glitches in the description are also a reasonably reliable indicator of in-game dialogue issues. If your description is littered with prose errors and bare maps, nobody will want to play the game because they assume it will either be poorly written or made with no attention to detail. Even if you're making a first game, you will want to have an attractive and professional game page to attract players, which, in turn, will lead to more feedback for you.

If you're a non-native writer (believe me, I can pretty much guarantee your English is better than my work in any language), feel free to ask for help around here. We have plenty of people who would love to help you with your work. I'm also willing to correct errors if there are only a handful (and I often do).

If I deny your game based on prose issues, it is in no way an indictment of your gamedev abilities or your command of the language. I am just acting as a front line for what other readers will spot.

Please remember that game pages must have 3 screenshots of in-game content. Title screens and concept art, while great items for screenshots, are not playable and do not count toward the total. The screens have to be varied; I will usually ask for at least one map/level screenshot.

Mapping is easy to grasp (but hard to master). Super detailed maps on the level of Blindmind are certainly not expected in any submission, but we do like to see tight, play spaces. Honestly, there is no black or white standard for maps. Mario game areas will look completely different from RPGs. Action RPGs won't have as many doodads and details as traditional RPGs due to the need for space. It's a case by case basis, and I do my best to be fair. Achieving competency in mapping is not hard, and your maps will be one of the first things prospective players will see.

Most importantly, if you feel I unfairly denied your game, please let me know. I'm human after all. I'm not stubborn, and will gladly reverse a denial if there is legit reason to do so.

Happy gam making.

Edit: I'm following generally accepted English rules when I go through submissions. Sometimes people have personal reasons for not following a specific rule of grammar or whatever, and I do my best to identify those situations, but sometimes I overlook them. Shoot me a PM in that case.
mtarzaim
Criticizing more, making less...
author=Sauce
Only 4/25??

Just wait for the summer holidays... I bet it will be even less.

author=DeckKiller
Please remember that game pages must have 3 screenshots of in-game content.

My first game ( savior - will you save the world? ) was denied several times because of its lack of screenshots. Since it's only a 2 maps game, I could hardly offer more than 2 relevant screenshots. And since it was intentionaly ugly, it didn't help.
But in the end, it was well-received.

Oh the irony. :gloatingsheldon

author=OP
Happy gamE making

Your submission has been denied. :p
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Haha, fair point. Gam mak is not grammatically correct!

But yeah, like you said, there are definitely exceptions to any guidelines. A two-map game would not have varied screenshots.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Unfortunately, I doubt many of the people with the denied games are gonna be looking at the announcements. They're probably all ragequitting and cutting themselves because those elitist jerks at RMN think they're so much better than everyone else and oh god why doesn't my mother love me

I think an 84% denial rate is pretty low, though. I would expect more than that to get denied.
It sucks that you kill off all of the bad games, I need examples of what not to do. Is there a forum around here on what not to do? I just get worried I'm going to spend 5,000 hrs on a game (I'm already at 3 months of labor) and have everyone hate it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The screenshot topic is an excellent source of what not to do! Unlike game profiles, the old versions of the images are usually left up there forever for posterity.

But really, if you get feedback along the way and work on the issues people point out, you won't have that problem at the end.
I really like the fact that you want a specify number of in game screenshots, too many times I saw the games on forums with no screenshots (even for a contest...)

Mmh, I wouldn't blindly say that a 84% denial rate is either too high or too low without knowing the whole bulk of what's getting accepted or denied. But I sure do wonder sometimes how certain games managed to slip trough the cracks. =/

As for needing examples of what no NOT to do. Well, that's what the other rpg maker sites out there are for! ;D ...Wanna learn what to do instead? There are plenty of tutorials, articles, forum topics, let's plays, etc. in here! Gee, this place thrives with so much feedback, I love it.
(Now if only it could cut down a little on the forum games, crappy blogs, status whoring, and general shit-posting, that'd be great.)
It's kinda' funny actually, I'd want to have crappy games on here to play them and give help to the person who made it.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
This is good to read. And there is no need to have bad games to have as examples.
I'd like to point out that gam mak is an RM in-joke among the old crowd. It was spelt as such for parody purposes.

This has been a public service announcement.
I am the cracks that bad games slip through.

Also, for a while there a few months ago we were accepting almost all the games, because they were decent. 84% denial rate is rather higher than the norm. Usually it is a little below 50% that we deny.
LockeZ
If you really want to see examples of bad games, you can go look at the games at RRR.

720 ULTRA SICK BURN TO REVERSE OLLIE HANGGLIDER

(no but really they accept any game, no matter how bad, as long as you write out 20 pages of credits citing every game, website and forum member you ever got a tile or a sound effect or a line of code from)
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=LockeZ
If you really want to see examples of bad games, you can go look at the games at RRR.

720 ULTRA SICK BURN TO REVERSE OLLIE HANGGLIDER

(no but really they accept any game, no matter how bad, as long as you write out 20 pages of credits citing every game, website and forum member you ever got a tile or a sound effect or a line of code from)

That was true two years ago, but since then, their requirements for submission have been raised significantly. It's even stricter than RMN now.
I agree even though I rarely check RRR anymore. I get no feedback for my games there which is becoming a lot like RMN.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
For the record I've been updating this list. I'd say it's about...90 percent accurate.
Does not bother me at all once I figure out a solid story for my game I should be good. The hard thing is making a game with as much content as bg2 that game has one of the largest amount of content I have ever seen. Not saying I will come close but a man can dream.
author=obsorber
I agree even though I rarely check RRR anymore. I get no feedback for my games there which is becoming a lot like RMN.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing that more and more with a lot of sites. The closed-knit communities are a thing of the past, I guess, and the newer ones only allow for XP, VX, Ace, and IGM, making it harder to find a home for the 2K/2K3 and the non-RM crowd.
Well, there's always RMN <3
Really in all my years as a maker I never quite found a community as awesome as RMN.
And also our awesomely unique userbase is quite cool.
(Mr. House's random ranting never ceases to be amusing, for example.)

author=Redd
It's kinda' funny actually, I'd want to have crappy games on here to play them and give help to the person who made it.

I agree with this. I could easily go to some other forum just for the worse games but gack, people there are so obnoxious.
However, accepting lower games would lower the reputation of RMN over the internet and it would be much less of a tool for gamers who actually want exposure, for any reason.
Pages: first 12 next last