KEEPING THE PLOT FOCUSED

Pages: first 12 next last
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There are games where everything you do has to do directly with your main goal.

For example, look at almost any game based on the original Star Wars trilogy. Every enemy you fight is either an Imperial soldier, a bounty hunter working for Imperial soldiers, an attack creature under the command of Imperial soldiers, or a robot or vehicle under the control of the Empire. And every time you fight them, it's because you're breaking into or out of some Imperial facility, or being chased because you just got done with breaking into or out of some Imperial facility, or protecting a Rebel base from Imperials that are trying to storm it. You are fighting the Empire, every single step of the entire game.

That's very common in action games, but extremely rare in RPGs, for some reason I can't quite figure out. It's also very common in movies and certain types of books.

There are many other games - and media of other types - where there are major parts of the story where your current goal only seems tangentially related to the primary goal, but is creating a framework and a buildup. In Chrono Trigger, when you go to 65 million BC the first time and get stranded, it feels like a filler dungeon. Especially since you're in the middle of a story arc involving fighting Magus in 600 AD. But, by spending an hour or two in 65 million BC, instead of just the 10 that you would need to spend if the game let you just grab the Dreamstone and immediately leave, the prehistoric setting is established and feels familiar when it becomes extremely important later (because Lavos falls from the sky).

But... even knowing that, it still feels like filler. Why? Because you're not fighting Magus? No, I don't think so. Taking a break from one major conflict to temporarily turn your attention to another one isn't filler. But what is filler is only addressing that conflict at the beginning and end of the dungeon, and not in what I'm doing in between. For a dungeon called the Reptite Lair, you'd think there would be more reptites in it, and that the five who were there would be doing something other than chilling out in the basement. You'd think Azala would have more than one bodyguard, that there would be reptite troops poised to attack the human village, that the gang of reptite thieves who invaded the village would appear throughout the dungeon or at least be mentioned ever agan. Instead, you're told "They went this way! Follow them!" and you fight your way through an hour of wild beasts (plus one easily avoidable battle against actual reptites) before arriving at the boss.

Combat is important, right? This is a video game: story and gameplay are inseperable, the story is told through the gameplay. Why am I effectively spending an hour doing something unrelated to the goal? And yeah, it's in the way of the goal, technically, so it's not totally unrelated; but it's related in about the same way as the fact that I need to get food every few hours and repair the hole that got torn in my clothes in that last battle. It's not telling any part of the story. It's irrelevant and should be skipped - or replaced with something that the player cares about.

And still other games, the worst type, don't even have nearly as much pretext as Chrono Trigger. Your entire explanation for fighting enemies in a given cave is "this cave is on your way to the next town." And the enemies are just wild animals, unrelated to your goal in any way. Why not just skip this, fade to black and cut ahead to the next scene, like anything else that didn't matter to the game would be skipped? Final Fantasy 6, for example, as much as I love it, has at least five dungeons that fall into this category: Mt. Koltz, Figaro Caves, the second trip through Figaro caves, the Serpent Trench, and Baron Falls. Not a shred of reason why any of them aren't just part of the world map, except to make the game longer. And practically all overworld sections in all RPGs fall into this category - though two non sequitor battles on an overworld is certainly vastly better than an entire dungeon of them.

Of course, there are situations in games where what you're doing just isn't part of the action. It's part of the build-up. That's fine! That's not getting in the way of keeping the gameplay focused on the conflict. What does get in the way, I feel strongly, is when you have action that isn't related to the story. Not all the parts of the story have to be action, but all the action has to be part of the story. And if not all of it, then maybe please at least most of it? Otherwise at some point I start to feel like the Empire isn't really what the game is even about. It's about bats and slimes.

What's your opinion on games that spend most of the game just having the player do whatever's on the way to their goal instead of actually fighting for their goal and taking part in the main conflict? Do you think this is all hogwash and story doesn't matter at all in games, and any excuse for battles is fine no matter how flimsy as long as it puts the player in fights? Do you think there are RPGs that successfully keep the player engaged in the main conflict, or where the issue exists but isn't problematic? I'd love to hear about those, and why you think they work when others don't.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
oh man i never thought i'd be defending ffvi

Figaro Caves: Exists as your first real dungeon, since the Narshe Mines are gimmicky and exist mainly to introduce Terra/Locke. It's bland but pretty short, and gives the player a sense of location when running back through with Locke/Celes.

Mt. Koltz: It's a breather between the large town of Figaro and the next major plot point, the Returner hideout. It lets you enjoy using Antidotes (qq) and allows the game to not force-feed you Sabin, but give him his own moment as his own character -- important since he's the leader for one of the split paths.

Serpent Trench/Baren Falls are just nifty dungeons that are visually distinct. I don't see anything wrong with them, as both are like ten minutes max and you only have to do them one-two times each (depending on how much of a completionist you are).

...yeah. The dungeons are the one thing I like about the design of FFVI, so there you go.

EDIT: Also, play Phantasy Star IV. Its side-dungeons include some nifty character bits. I think that a dungeon is entirely justified if it deals with a character and not the overarching plot.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
What's your opinion on games that spend most of the game just having the player do whatever's on the way to their goal instead of actually fighting for their goal and taking part in the main conflict?
My opinion is that I quickly get bored and stop playing. The conflict of the story is why I'm interested in playing it. Every aspect of the game should be in some way building up to that conflict and its inevitable climax or else I feel like I'm wasting my time, and if a game makes me feel like I'm wasting my time, I don't want to keep playing it.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
I'd have to agree with Craze here; as I said on the other thread, I don't think that unrelated dungeons/areas are specifically a bad thing. Call me weird, but when I go through RPGs I tend to enjoy those wee side areas. I just gives me a breather from the main story: humans do have a limited attention span after all.
A movie can be completely and utterly focussed on one thing, but the movie is only ninety minutes long and doesn't have any side-questing to kill time. You can focus on the story and remain interested throughout.

Play a 40 hour RPG and remain completely interested in the story? Not as easy. In the other thread you said you might as well just go play another game or do something else; but what if the player wants to keep playing that game...they just cbf with the huge story-driving conflict right now, and wanna screw around with their favourite character?

Either way, I think it really comes down to the game in question and its implementation. Some games have a lot of side stuff and it works, while others just feel schizophrenic because of it. Some games remain focussed entirely on their story and remain engaging, while others start to feel repetitive and exhausting. All depends.

Personally and lately, I've been more in the mood for flighty stories. My current project is somewhat RPG based but has gone down the path more of hub bassed missions.
I had the option of just randomly throwing out dungeons and saying "kill that guy" like the games predecessor, but figured it'd be more fun, more engaging to give each mission a small backstory/explanation.
They have no connection to each other and no lingering relevance (albeit I am working up "chain missions"), but (again, personally) that's part of what works for this specific implementation. It just encourages you to just play the game and jump from setting to setting without needing to worry too much about being dragged away from the central conflict; because there basically is none!
It does keep intensifying, and with character related quests I am trying to build up more of a structure for some plot thread to come through, but ultimately that's not the focussing point. Whether or not I did it successfully is another issue, but that's neither here nor there.

Now one thing I don't like is "arrived ten minutes late" syndrome: even if everything is completely relevant and engaging, that whole "ach, just missed him" vibe just winds me up and puts me off the story. I'd much rather be told that he's holed up in his castle and I need to sneak in through Distraction Cave to get him.

But that's just me.
In my game the way towards the goal is pretty much the entire game. There's this villain that lives in his dark castle of evilness, but before the hero can go there, he does other things first. Rather early on in the game, the main characters learn that they aren't powerful enough to beat this evil overlord. Though, there isn't enough of an imminent threat that they can't just go do something else for a while. So, it's basically shoved pretty low on the to-do list for the heroes. Meanwhile they just wander around the world, looking for adventure, going on side-quests, finding stuff, and getting stronger in preparation for the battle with the evil overlord at the end of the game.
Then again, the main thing in my game is about the heroes going on an adventure, and the many random things they encounter. It's not about this one main threat that's about the nuke the whole world into oblivion.

Although in your examples I can see why it can be bothersome to be led off the path. It really depends on the game, though. If the game constantly shoves the main threat into your face, and then sends you onto a random, non-related side path, then yeah, it's annoying.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
author=Milennin
If the game constantly shoves the main threat into your face, and then sends you onto a random, non-related side path, then yeah, it's annoying.

That's a good way to put it. Ultimately, the relevance/focus of the setting in the game isn't as important as how it's presented.
I think they're rare in tradition jrpgs. Games like Lufia, Wild Arms, FF... you're often doing stuff that has nothing to do with the major conflict.

But the early Suikodens did keep you on topic most of the time, I think? You were fighting soldiers most of the time and really only encountered RANDOM monsters in the open world. Everything you're doing works towards the war effort. It's a superior setup imo.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, there are definitely very lengthy TV series that never deviate from their main conflicts, like 24, Lost, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (but not the original FMA, which is full of filler). Not to mention the countless video games that do so such as Starcraft, Goldeneye, Arkham Asylum and Halo, so the "it only works for movies because they're short" doesn't really fly to me.

I can even name a few RPGs that almost do it. Dragon Age and Diablo 3, for example. Disc 2 of Xenogears, maybe? Hahaha please don't hurt me

Etrian Odyssey technically qualifies, but only because the primary conflict is man vs. environment, instead of man vs. man or man vs. government, so wandering around fighting wild animals is directly addressing the primary conflict of the game. However, the end result is almost indistinguishable from "no plot and no conflict" so it feels kinda sketchy.

Sauce: Suikoden games do a better than average job of not being pointless and random in their enemies and dungeons, but make up for it by being some of the only games that do it with their party members.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
Tv shows like 24 and Lost have several plot threads running all at once. In a game you typically have one central plot and not much else other than side quests.

I wouldn't oppose a game that had several coinciding plot threads but you really just don't get many of them at all. It'd pretty much be restricted to games where the main character changes around every so often.

FF6 does have several characters with their own stories, but it's not on the same level as 24's multiple character arcs.
I'll throw in my 2 cents. While staying focused on the story in generally good, keep in mind that the characters are theoretically, living in a world that's larger than the current conflict. If you want to create a sense of a larger world, you do have to include things that's not related to the main plot. Of course you should not have it overtake the plot, but I think you should create a sense that there is more to the world than just the plot.
LockeZ
Uh. What? Why? Obviously there's a larger world because that's pretty much how worlds work. That's not something that needs to be shown.

Some of the DETAILS of the world matter to the story, sure. So explain those, of course. And I appreciate the attempt to explain them via showing instead of telling, and thus making a dungeon instead of a wall of dialogue. But the irrelevant parts don't matter. Since, you know, that's what irrelevant means. So it just seems super obvious to me to try to create situations that are as relevant as possible when showing what you need to show.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
I disagree about the first point. The natural default is to only focus on and think about what you're directly seeing. If you spend 20 hours chasing the Empire and doing nothing else, then your mind will automatically start to just associate that game world with the Empire and never really think about the world beyond it.

If you have other towns that have less to do with the Empire and do some questing that is just a passing-by thing, you'll start to see the world beyond just the Empire.

Another thought, of course (which may have been your point?) is that not all games benefit from giving the player a better sense of the larger world. Certain games have a tight enough storyline that making you think about the outside world would just be piling on pointless content. Other games, like Skyrim, really thrive from having a lot of side stuff that really builds the world in your mind.

Guess it just comes down to the game.
Saying that's how the world is not the same thing as getting the sense that the world is bigger. If everything revolved around the empire, if the empire is all anybody cares about, then regardless of how the world is supposed to be, it's still going to feel like the only thing in the world that matters is the Empire. If you don't want that, well, your going to have to add some other things.
Of course you don't want it distract too much from the main plot. Add a couple of books in a library, maybe an optional side quest or two, minor dialogue from an npc, nothing that forces your attention away from the main plot if you don't want it too, but something that introduces a bit of world building. That's one of the beauties of an RPG, you're not, in general, forced to proceed with the main quest if you don't want too. You can level grind, you can walk around dungeons you don't really need to be in at the time. There's room to add these things. In a book or movie, there isn't. If a book spent or a movie spent time on irrelevant things, it would be tedious because the medium doesn't allow you to experience it on your own pace, so it just gets in the way.
That said, things that are just there for world building should be near the end of the priority list, as they are extra flavor for the game and not a core part of it.
LockeZ
author=Alichains
Saying that's how the world is not the same thing as getting the sense that the world is bigger. If everything revolved around the empire, if the empire is all anybody cares about, then regardless of how the world is supposed to be, it's still going to feel like the only thing in the world that matters is the Empire.
No, it's going to feel like the only thing in the story that matters is the Empire.

Which is, you know. True.

I think I pretty much disagree with every single sentence you said in the strongest terms.
The thing is, RPG's by nature, throw you into a world that requires exploration. If the only thing you see in the world is the story, than for all effects and purposes, the world is the story.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
You really like your game narratives to keep on point, eh? ;)

Well, whatever works for you!
LockeZ
I do. It's right there in the topic title!

The world is there to make the story make sense, to me. It's just a tool, and not a particularly major or important one. Not compared to the characters and events, anyway.

Apparently worldbuilding is a big thing with nerds whose games never get played with certain crowds, so whatever I guess. If you don't care about the story, then I guess feel free to make games for players who don't care about the story. It is a valid answer my original question, I guess.
author=LockeZ
Apparently worldbuilding is a big thing with nerds whose games never get played with certain crowds, so whatever I guess. If you don't care about the story, then I guess feel free to make games for players who don't care about the story.

Funny, I don't recall ever saying that I don't care about the main story. In fact, I recall making it clear that the main story is the most important thing. I'm not sure who your arguing against, but it clearly isn't me.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
goty 2006/goty 2011 would like to have a chat with you

about mudcrabs and worldbuilding

(the world CAN be a tool, or it can be a character. different games do things differently)
LockeZ
Yeah, okay. I get that. Everyone loves the Skyrim. It makes you care about the world it presents. But there are parts of any world I don't care about. Specifically, the parts that the story doesn't make me care about. And that seems more like a basic human condition than a personal preference. We only care about things that we're given a reason to care about. Having not played Skyrim, I assume it makes you care about everything.

I am given a reason to care about the world in Twilight Princess - the reason I care is because I just saved it. I explored the destroyed version of it until I found all the stupid light beads, and then the destruction was reversed. I have a vested interest! Twilight Princess makes you care about the world by saving it at the beginning instead of the end, and it's actually really well done and incredible. In that sense, Twilight Princess is an example of both worldbuilding for its own sake and making sure everywhere the player goes and everything he/she does is deeply connected to the main story, because it makes those two things be the same thing.

But most games don't do that. They are just like, hey, we need some more gameplay somewhere around this part where you sneak into the castle, to pad the amount of time you spend with that party. Let's make the player hunt through the sewers for the key first. And fill the sewers with barbed wire golems, fire elementals, and mummy centaurs, because those are cool.
Pages: first 12 next last