SPRITE BASE, FEEDBACK, ETC.

Pages: first 12 next last
So, spritebase, how's it look, blah, blah, blah? Here's the current one:

I've been doing some other stuff, being too finicky about it and now did this rtpish sprite:

I am not much fan of the faces, the eyes are a little odd, but the bodies are pretty cool, remind me of the complexion of the pink panther hahaha, I would like to see them with clothes, since I think that size and complexion gives you a lot of chances with how you can dress them.
Here's a couple quick test edits I whipped up, do the faces and eyes look a bit less odd?

Oh! Also, I toned done the darkness of the mouths, I think that really helps.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
I think the shape is fine, it fits into a certain cartoony style. My main issue is the palette. It's too grim and desaturated to be as "childish" as the style itself would demand.. though that'd depend entirely on what you were going for, I suppose.

I hope you don't mind, but I switched the palette up a bit and made it significantly brighter.

As you can see, I've made the outlines very dark. In a normal palette, they'd be a little more desaturated in the shadows and become more saturated towards the light. But as I said before this is quite the cartoony style and I think that should make it quite bright overall.

Don't be afraid to use dark colours close to black or light colours close to white - they add a lot of contrast which can make images pop better.

I link everyone to this tutorial, and I'm afraid it's no different here. This is veeeeeery useful, as shapes alone won't carry your sprite as far as you want. Colour is much more important than outline.
Thanks, Caz, that was really helpful. I have trouble with color, I think in large part, because I like a little more subdued, desaturated look, like the colors in your avatar, but then I go a little overboard...y'know...exactly like mentioned in that tutorial, lol.

The tutorial and your example really help give me a solid foundation for some experiments, thanks.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Awesome base sprite, and great colour advice, Caz!

Edit: be sure to keep posting progress here. I'd love to see how your graphics come along.
Here's the results of some experimenting resulting from Caz's advice:

I think I've gone too dark with their outlines now though, lol. Either way, I played around with some expressions you can see here; expressiveness was my main idea behind the face design.

Oh, and thanks for the support Dudesoft.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
Nono that's excellent, you're doing really well! Those much darker outlines really bring out the rest of the colours superbly.

And I love what you've done with the eyes on that last one!

Keep it up! Like Dude, I wanna see you do more. ^^

Sorry for not answering :P, the mouth change was good, but the thing that bothers me of the eyes is that they don't have pupils, maybe you aim for that, if so then I guess it is okay, either way I play a little just to elt you know what you could do, I made it in less than 5 minutes so you could even do better I guess. Same as dudes, keep those sprites coming ;)

Edit: the first one is yours just to avoid confusion :P
Yeah, the pupils are another example of my liking something, subdued pupils, and not really having the experience to pull it off in an elegant way that doesn't just leave them looking flat. You can see in my last example that I've been experimenting with the eyes as well though.
Oh that's truth, I only saw the new colour palette and didn't notice the eyes in the last two, yeah, I like that better :)
author=monkeynohito

Ok, here's what I've come up with now:

If these look ok, I think I'll go ahead and make some finalized sets later. Interesting note, I was going for pale with Mr. Brows on the left and most of that effect was thanks to playing with the contrast between the light and dark.

And, here, it's later now:

Oh Ma Gawds, working on hair is the worst pain ever:

Is the one in the corner your avatar? o.o
author=MrChearlie
Is the one in the corner your avatar? o.o

Lol, yeah, I was working on hair like hers.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
You've certainly got a knack for shape and lighting, I can tell you. Those hair..s? hairs? ... that hair? THAT HAIR is excellent! <3

The green hair down the bottom is fantastic, I've gotta say. The colouring is perfection and fits beautifully with the desaturation of the face. I think you should dull down the colours on the blue-hair person to the left though, and maybe add in a darker outline to the one on the right.

But this is excellent, please keep at it!
I'm honestly not a big fan of the style. Here's an edit:

I think the bright green background ruins the pixel art you have here (your color choices are pretty nice). But the anatomy of the template hits me off. I also tried your hair on it (with small edits).

Thanks for the support and advice. Spriting is so frustrating, it really helps to get feedback. I look at what I'm doing with hair now and think, 'omg it looks horrible, does it look horrible? I can't tell, my brain is mush now...' lol.

Nessiah - The background color is what I use while working, not too eye-burning but won't get mixed with other greens. I'll try to remember to change it to something nicer before uploads though. You're right about how ugly it looks. :D

I wanted to make something that was really lanky and cartoony with the figure and made a decision to make it look a little more 2 dimensional and flat to enhance that look. Is it a little too much though?
author=monkeynohito
I wanted to make something that was really lanky and cartoony with the figure and made a decision to make it look a little more 2 dimensional and flat to enhance that look. Is it a little too much though?

Yeah that was exactly what I disliked about it. The lack of shadows didn't help. Like if you look at Earthbound or the older retro games, they have some form that makes them look solid and more stylistically appealing.
Lol, I whipped this up to show you my understanding of depth and dimension and got a little carried away with making some creepy thing:

Yours is much cuter:

Actually, I don't understand, "Like if you look at Earthbound or the older retro games, they have some form that makes them look solid and more stylistically appealing." Earthbound is the flattest sprites ever: http://starmen.net/mother2/images/game/
Pages: first 12 next last