LOOKING FOR THE BETA TESTERS

Pages: 1
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
While game I'm making is not yet ready for demo, or even project page, I'd like to make closed beta testing. Currently there are four positions open, once they're all filled, I'll reveal link to beta via private messages.

Game will be freeware, as most games here are, but I want to ensure quality of it. I can't do it myself (game is pretty big), that's why I need testers.

Current accepted testers:

When applying please state why I should choose you and what experience with RM do you have.
Could you tell us about the game first? It would be great to know exactly what we'll be playing.
Rave
The game is RPG. It is somewhat serious, but have lot of humor in it. Also, breaking fourth wall.

It has dragons. Really.
I think in general people will want a bit more information than that. :)

Beta testing a game is a lot of work and knowing a little bit about the game before people start helps them determine if they are interested or not. Some screenshots and a more on story/gameplay would be nice!
Rave
As I said, game's not quite ready for profile stuff. Screenshots and describing game more than I already did would compromise it too soon. It is good enough for beta-testing though. Besides, I'm not good at describing games without spoiling them.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Dude, no one gives a shit if you spoil the game. These aren't players, they're testers and developers. Tell everything that matters.
People won't commit to something if they don't know what they're letting themselves in for.

1)Roughly, how long does it take you to complete the demo?
2)What is it made in? Some people don't enjoy certain makers.
Rave
@LockeZ, guess what? RMN is visited by players too. I don't want to spoil game to them before its ready. I am more than happy to discuss it on PM, if you're interested in testing though.

@Little Wing Guy:
1) I don't know, but I think it's 1-2 hours.
2) VX Ace.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
How linear is it?
Describe the coolest thing about your battles.
How much customization does the player have over his party?
What do you think is the most fun aspect of playing the game?
What did you spend the most time on?
What systems did you code yourself, and what major systems did you download/import/copy?
What language is it in? If it's in English, who wrote it? It clearly wasn't you, because you don't actually know English. You're like a walking version of the intro from Zero Wing.
Post a field screenshot, a battle screenshot and a menu screenshot so people can see what the game looks like.

The idea that you would reject anyone who wants to help is hilarious and ludicrous. That's the opposite of how it works. How it really works is that you ask a hundred people for help and eventually one of them says yes. They're the one providing a service, and you're the one who needs that service and is providing nothing in return. If you want help, you'd better try as hard as you possibly can to sell us on the idea of your game. You need to either make us want to play it super bad even though it's buggy and unplayable, or make us think it's such a cool idea that we want to give our free time to become a part of the project and help make the game into a reality.

Edit: It doesn't matter if they're "not a developer". Anyone who's interested in beta testing a game doesn't care about spoilers. But you don't actually need to give spoilers anyway, because your plot is irrelevant to the process of beta testing. You only have to describe enough to draw the reader in and hook them: the same thing that you'd do in the first ten minutes of the game.

Edit edit: So that's an idea actually. Describe the first ten minutes of your game.
Rave
How linear it is?
Partially linear. You are able to make several choices leading to multiple endings, but otherwise I try to follow standard JRPG convention.

How much customization does player have over his party?
In current version? Very little. But goal is to let player choose party members almost at will (similar to how you handled this in Chrono Trigger, except more freely).

What do you think is the most fun aspect of playing the game?
Game has many easter eggs and inside jokes, so I guess it's that. But I also developed engaging story, so you'll want to know what happens next.

What did you spend the most time on?
Mostly, maps. I'm also trying to avoid generic names such as "Guard #1" - (almost - if I forgot to change it somewhere) every person in my world has actual name.

What systems did you code yourself, and what major systems did you download/import/copy?
Yanfly Engine - Victory aftermath and save system. Other are small adjustments such as making scrolling text centered instead of aligned to left and fix to shop system (there was small exploit there related to custom prices). Otherwise I'm trying to stick to events whenever I can.

What language is it in? If it's in English, who wrote it? It clearly wasn't you, because you don't actually know English. You're like a walking version of the intro from Zero Wing.
Please don't insult me, ok? English isn't my native language and I've seen people speaking worse English than me. And they were native speakers (or so they claimed). Also you should watch again Zero Wing intro, because my grammar is far from Engrish.
Now, since we got that from the way... Yes it is English, otherwise I wouldn't put beta test request on ENGLISH forum, would I? And yes, I wrote it.

Post a field screenshot, a battle screenshot and a menu screenshot so people can see what the game looks like.
Again, I don't want to spoil anything for potential players of final version. Be more than happy to send those and discuss game in more detail via PM, though.

How it really works is that you ask a hundred people for help and eventually one of them says yes.

The problem is that I need people who match specific criteria for this phase of testing. I don't know any people who matches those and besides, friend's advice is worst advice. Friend will always say "Um, this is quite cool!" just to not hurt your feelings.
Look, put up a game profile, then ask. Making threads asking for testers just fills up the forum with unneccesary threads. Any blog post you make asking for help will show up in the help forum anyway.

Until it's up there's no need to actually ask for anything. If there's not enough to get a decent profile out of it then there's not enough to ask for Beta Testers.

If you don't want to 'share' the Game Page with the world, set it on private. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Locked and Moved.
Pages: 1