(VX ACE) THIS BANDIT EVENT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

Pages: 1
Well, the title says it all. :(

I'm trying to get this to work. After you talk to this bandit, you'll have a battle with him. That works. After you win the battle, it's set so that the bandit's sprite (graphic, whatever) will change to one of the bandit sprites in 'Damage 3'. However, The sprite changes to the rogue sprite right above the bandit sprite in 'Damage 3'. It's set to not move, so I'm not sure why it does that. This is driving me completely crazy, and any help would be appreciated!

Screenshots of the event (large images):

Oh, forgot an ingame screenshot.

See what I mean?

Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
It's because you have "walking anim" checked in the other pages instead of "direction fix". Switch it back to that and he'll show the correct graphic.
author=Trihan
It's because you have "walking anim" checked in the other pages instead of "direction fix". Switch it back to that and he'll show the correct graphic.

Did you mean setting all the event pages to Walking Animation or set them all to Direction Fix? Because setting all the pages to Walking Animation didn't work and since the Bandit moves to the left then turns toward the player I'd rather not set them all to Direction Fix...

Any advice? Thanks for answering back!
Trihan
It needs to be direction fix at the point where his graphic changes to the downed bandit. The reason it's not working for you right now is that technically that "set" consists of four different characters; one for each direction. Without direction fix, when you interact with the event it's going to "turn" to face downwards, which on that graphic is the guy above the bandit.
It's during a cutscene, so the player can't actually interact with the downed bandit sprite. Literally RIGHT AFTER the battle, the bandit's sprite changes from normal sprite to the downed rogue sprite. Then the party members talk (and bury the body).

Do you know the problem with it? Thanks for helping! I really appreciate it!
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Here is what you should keep in mind: The format for all RMVX character graphics are as follows:

Down direction w/ 3 frames
left direction w/ 3 frames
right direction w/ 3 frames
up direction w/ 3 frames

Looking at "Damage 3", the bandit sprite you are looking for is in the "left direction" on the first frame. What is probably happening is that you didn't change the direction of your sprite when you changed the graphic, so it appears like the green-haired rogue. So, since the graphic you want is the left direction sprite for "Damage 3", change your graphic direction in the set move route event to be to the left.
OMG, YES!!! Thank you Ratty! Never would have thought of that! Hmph, VX Ace is so annoying about some things...

Man, that is so wonderful! Thanks! It's all fixed now!
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Yep, I just noticed myself that VX Ace screwed with the set move route events. In previous makers, you could simply use the "change graphic" command and select an individual tile for your actor, but here it selects the whole sheet, so it's no wonder you got confused.
Trihan
Good point, I never thought of that.
Thanks for your help, you two! I appreciate it! Now I can stop obsessing about this battle/cutscene not being done and continue with mapping! :)
Pages: 1