TACTICS

Pages: 1
At this moment I am trying to make a tactics system for the ace witch is hard so hopefully i don't give up on tactics idea as far as the war system goes. I have a idea how I want it i'm trying to make it like suikoden 2 if any one has ever played it then you know right away what i'm trying to do if not then you have never played it witch is ok. They made to me the best war system and I want to do something similiar once I figure out how to do it I will share it.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
I hope your war battles do not feature the amount of RNG bullshit that Suikoden II's do.
don't worry they wont so far I kinda have implemented where you go to the small units and it gives you a menu and choose move movment but I cant figure out how to make it so the other player is random and I need to fix it where you don keep popping back up at the start but it still a work in progress.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Suikoden 2's war system was like a tactical RPG with all the abilities, equipment, range, customization, clever use of the board, stages, growth, tactics, and RPG removed. I'm not sure what aspect of it is "the best." It's pretty awful, and was only tolerable in Suikoden 2 because there were very few battles and they were far apart in the game (and because Suikoden 2's normal battles are almost as boring).

Suikoden 3's had the potential to be better, in that it took the game's normal combat and superimposed it on top of a grid you could move around and fight, if not exactly tactics-rpg-style. But then they ruined it by just randomizing 100% of the fights instead of letting you control anything. Stupid.

Meanwhile, real tactical RPG battles as a sort of recurring minigame within a traditional RPG would be pretty neat. I'd love to do that someday. There's probably a good engine out there that was designed with tactical RPGs in mind and has features built in for them, but I'm pretty sure that the ability to do both normal and tactical types of battles in a single game is something I'd have to make myself if I ever wanted to. Sigh.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
RGSS3 tactical RPG system is on my to-do list for scripts, but it's taking a backburner right now to my work on Profit Motive, my dynamic bestiary, and the Vagrant Story-style body part targeting system I'm currently working on. If and when I make some progress with it (assuming of course the niche hasn't been filled already) I'll let you know. :)
author=LockeZ
Suikoden 2's war system was like a tactical RPG with all the abilities, equipment, range, customization, clever use of the board, stages, growth, tactics, and RPG removed. I'm not sure what aspect of it is "the best." It's pretty awful, and was only tolerable in Suikoden 2 because there were very few battles and they were far apart in the game (and because Suikoden 2's normal battles are almost as boring).

Suikoden 3's had the potential to be better, in that it took the game's normal combat and superimposed it on top of a grid you could move around and fight, if not exactly tactics-rpg-style. But then they ruined it by just randomizing 100% of the fights instead of letting you control anything. Stupid.

Meanwhile, real tactical RPG battles as a sort of recurring minigame within a traditional RPG would be pretty neat. I'd love to do that someday. There's probably a good engine out there that was designed with tactical RPGs in mind and has features built in for them, but I'm pretty sure that the ability to do both normal and tactical types of battles in a single game is something I'd have to make myself if I ever wanted to. Sigh.

Omg you are a genius I forgot about that you just gave me a idea for events and coding love you well not really but thanks.
author=Trihan
RGSS3 tactical RPG system is on my to-do list for scripts, but it's taking a backburner right now to my work on Profit Motive, my dynamic bestiary, and the Vagrant Story-style body part targeting system I'm currently working on. If and when I make some progress with it (assuming of course the niche hasn't been filled already) I'll let you know. :)

Thank you very much I loved that game wish they had made another like it.
Pages: 1