[RM2K3] BORDERS FOR RANDOMLY-MOVING TOUCH ENCOUNTER MONSTER EVENTS

Pages: 1
I am working on touch events for monster encounters and wasn't sure what the best way would be to create invisible barriers on the map, so for example, the monster could not walk up and down stairs or not end up walking clear to the other side of the map. I figured someone had done this before and didn't want to reinvent the wheel for this. Thanks for any help!

Also, I currently have a parallel process event, separate from the actual monster event, which makes the monster chase you if you get too close.
Easiest way: Make a SameLevel event, and allow a Pass Through move event. You'll be able to walk through it. The enemy will hit a wall. This can be for Follow Hero as well making an enemy basically wait at the stairs.

People keep telling me I use too many parallel processes, but the point is I know when I can get away with it.
author=bulmabriefs144
Easiest way: Make a SameLevel event, and allow a Pass Through move event. You'll be able to walk through it. The enemy will hit a wall. This can be for Follow Hero as well making an enemy basically wait at the stairs.

People keep telling me I use too many parallel processes, but the point is I know when I can get away with it.

Thanks a lot! I will have to try this out as soon as I get the chance. The way I have the monster event set up is that it will only follow you if you get too close, so it won't cheaply wait at the bottoms of the stairs for you, or something like that.

I have one another separate problem though, which involves the monster event's 2nd page movement speed not activating (page 2 is faster than page 1, as it chases you) if I put some kind of move event command right before turning on the switch in the parallel process event that would activate Page 2 of the monster event. I have this extra move command because I want the monster to "react" to the hero coming near by jumping (done via the move event in the parallel process event). This bug makes absolutely no sense and may have to do with a limitation/bug of RM2k3 itself.

In case this explanation doesn't make sense, I will post screens at some point later.
Is it also possible to create an event-only barrier using the "Allow Event Overlap" checkbox?
author=Zachary_Braun
Is it also possible to create an event-only barrier using the "Allow Event Overlap" checkbox?

But wouldn't the monster event be able to move over it as well?
author=bulmabriefs144

-image-

Why all those branches, lol? You can do without all the branches, and just make hero move forward 1 step upon touch.
Even easier, you can make events that are below hero, but when set to prevent event overlap, monsters will not be able to cross them, while the player can without having to add any commands.
author=Shoobinator
author=Zachary_Braun

Rather than "allow event overlap" he probably meant "forbid event overlap", which should prevent monster events from moving over it, and would probably be the simplest solution.
Yes, use blank events with the forbid overlap. Now if you were using a newer maker it would lag to hell and back, but 2k and 2k3 are good when it comes to refresh rates and handling empty events.
author=Milennin
author=bulmabriefs144

-image-

Why all those branches, lol? You can do without all the branches, and just make hero move forward 1 step upon touch.
Even easier, you can make events that are below hero, but when set to prevent event overlap, monsters will not be able to cross them, while the player can without having to add any commands.

Is that what prevent event overlap is for (I thought it had something to do with two events happening at once or something)? Holdon...
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=bulmabriefs144
Is that what prevent event overlap is for (I thought it had something to do with two events happening at once or something)? Holdon...

Haha, yes that's one of its main purposes!
In my main project I use it for alot of different areas where I don't want zombies to follow you!
Some areas I use a below player event that after the player steps over it, it becomes unpassable until the player moves back over it(using another event), but that is more situation oriented.

author=Kazesui
author=Shoobinator
author=Zachary_Braun
Rather than "allow event overlap" he probably meant "forbid event overlap", which should prevent monster events from moving over it, and would probably be the simplest solution.

ooooohhhhh...... I don't know why I didn't think of just checking that box... :/
Pages: 1