ORIGINALITY WITH RTP BATTLE ANIMATIONS BEGINNING TO RUN DRY. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Pages: 1
This is related to the game in my previous post about coming up with a title for it.

I've been doing quite well coming up with animations for my game. Having 6 separate ones for each character's spells. However I'm trying to come up with original ideas for earth, water and non-elemental spells. I've got several for each of them but any new ones will pretty much be copies.

Any suggestions are welcome. If anybody knows some good sites with ones for rmxp, those will also be appreciated.
Try having original effects. With switch spells, you can have stuff do weird things (I have at least one effect that can attack the player represented by a spot in the middle front of the screen, and if the player dies, it's gameover/everyone dies).

If you can't think of an original effect, think of an original name and animation to do a mundane effect. You're basically delivering the means of attack, so be creative.

Also, you should have at least ten elements (blunt, slash, pierce, ranged, fire, water, earth, wind, light, dark) and probably a couple extras (nonelement, anti-dragon, maybe silver, and possibly healing if you want to create zombie enemies) and a few you make up.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
bulmabriefs144
Also, you should have at least ten elements (blunt, slash, pierce, ranged, fire, water, earth, wind, light, dark) and probably a couple extras (nonelement, anti-dragon, maybe silver, and possibly healing if you want to create zombie enemies) and a few you make up.

stop talking
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Anyway, you can use XP/VX/Ace animations in any of those engines. Try Mr. Bubbles!

http://mrbubblewand.wordpress.com/category/animations/
Thanks for the ideas. I didn't know they are all compatible. It's just that, regarding the earth animation in particular. There's only so much you can come up with when you have 6 images to work with.

In my other post (I can't remember if I mentioned this or not) but each of the seven characters are going to have their own branch of magic, so you can switch them around depending on the siuation. For example

Main Hero - Wind
2nd - Fire
3rd - Healing
4th - Lightning
5th - Ice
6th - Water
7th - Earth
8th - Non-Elemental
9th - Status
10th - Mixture or Light/Purity if you perform a side quest.
Thanks for letting me know about the MrBubbleWand website, Craze. I sort of went to town getting anything what I think might be useful in any game.

When I credit him at the end. Should I give his name as MrBubbleWand and then give the website address?
I like it when the cast each has their own element. Not only does it offer them magic based upon their element, but also can provide immunity as well, and changes their roles from offense to supportive depending on the type of dungeon.

Example, if your second character has "Fire" element, you're probably going to want to use him in both Fire and Ice dungeons. In the Fire dungeon, he'll be immune against most fire attacks. However, the enemies will also be immune against most of his attacks as well. So here his focus would switch to supporting and healing the rest of his party. In an Ice dungeon, however, his role would shift to the offense, since his fire skills would be strong against the ice enemies, and the role of support/heal would switch to the 5th character (with the ice element) instead.

Edit: He generally goes by Mr. Bubble, but I don't think it really matters as long as it's clear who is being credited, unless he specifically asks to be credited a certain way.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Incorporate more backflips.
Thanks for the advice about the credits.

I'm not planning on giving them natural immunities as I've downloaded a script which allows more advanced elemental defenses. I'm going to make a Final Fantasy X style customisation system so that there will be the Ward/Proof/Eater type items which can be made. You can buy the ward items early on but I've tried to make them prohibitively expensive.
Pages: 1