[POLL] JUDGING WHETHER TO DOWNLOAD A GAME? WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR?

Poll

What is the major/deciding factor for YOU when choosing whether or not to download a game for the first time? - Results

Description - If there's a summary of the plot that catches your interest
25%
Game Page Presentation - Including CSS, logos and the like
2%
Download Amounts - That is, the number of downloads the game already has.
2%
Graphics and Use of - As presented via Screenshots
33%
Videos of the project - Whether LPs, Game Trailers or other
1%
Creator - Having played their past games or knowing them personally/by reputation
5%
Comments - What others have said in the comment section
5%
Game Score - The rating given, whether good or bad
1%
Reviews - Whether they be LTs or written reviews.
3%
Hype - Whether it be flooding with advertisement on sites or
1%
Features - Gameplay promises and certain scripts
9%
Recommendations - Hearing from others that it's worth playing
6%

Pages: first 12345 next last
After reading a topic by another member on the site I got to wondering what most people use to decide whether they'll download and play a game. It's a relatively simple question, but it can lead to other interesting questions such as :
- is quality or quantity a major factor?
- do people take others' thoughts or recommendations into account?
- do comments change your thoughts on whether to play a game?
- does knowing the person who made it personally or by reputation?
- is game page presentation an important factor?

If you wish to answer those questions, feel free, but the main question is this:

WHAT IS THE DECIDING FACTOR FOR YOU WHEN DECIDING TO DOWNLOAD A GAME?
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
For me, it's two-fold: screenshots (graphics/style) and description. I put priority on the description because based on my past experiences, a competent description means competent writing. And since RPGs are text-driven, competent writing is key. However, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I also want to see diverse screenshots that demonstrate ability.
All of the above, but what really gets my attention will always be graphics. If I see RTP faces, then I am not even going to bother reading the description. Graphics alone can't make a game, true, but if I see super duper nonsense mapping, I really can't feel intrigued to try the game, at all. :P

If I am satisfied with the graphics, then I'll read the description. Those two are the most important factors to attract people. I can't speak for gameplay if I haven't tried, and I won't if the game doesn't interest me enough. :D
I tend to go by screenshots and description, like Deckiller said. I also kinda go by creator, too. For instance, I've heard quite a bit about the Nessiah/Rhyme combo and have played some of their games, and I'm quite impressed! I also go a bit with reviews/ratings.

I do take other people's thoughts and recommendations into account along with their comments. Overall, I don't care too much about game page snazziness as some do. ;)

I've answered your questions. My interrogation is over. Goodbye! :D
I download a whole bunch, starve them for a month, put them in a cage, and let them fight to the death.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
I don't download gams.
Hahaha I don't play games.
Usually recommendations. Then I can grill the recommender about the game to see if it is the kind of game I'd like!

Second would probably be the description. Not for the plot as much as game features and gameplay mechanics. Having a jobs mechanic for example would get you closer to that precious precious download!

author=kentona
Hahaha I don't play games.

This is about downloads not playing
Usually it's the graphical presentation that draws me to a game. Frankly I probably wouldn't even read the description of a bad looking game unless people in the forums were crapping their pants about how good it was.

The number one thing I look for is whether or not it uses a side-view battle or the default vx front-view. It's a little silly but I just cannot enjoy battles in front-view and will almost always ignore games that use it.

After that it's usually the comments section, did people say they enjoyed it or not? That's what interests me.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
This would be better as a vote with multiple answers. Maybe a ranking. I mean, no one cares more about the presentation and visual quality of the page that the game is hosted on than they do about the presentation and visual quality of the game itself. So that's never gonna get any votes, except possibly just to spite me for posting this. But that doesn't mean it's not a major factor on some people's lists.

Also, page presentation, hype, and several others of these things are more subconscious influences than conscious ones. We're told not to judge a book by its cover and not to pay attention to hype, and we claim we don't, and we try not to, but we do it anyway by accident sometimes.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Pretty much just graphics. If a game looks pretty, I'll download it and read the description while it downloads. If the description sounds boring or I find that it uses random encounters, I'll cancel the download.
For me it tends to be the creator. If they're some nobody I've never heard of or seen around, there's an even smaller chance than normal that I'd download it unless it looks like the best thing since swiss cheese.
On the occasions where I am looking at games and judging their merit, I generally gravitate towards the comments section and reviews (and comments on reviews).
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Any of these categories will tempt me to download a game if the game stands out particularly well in one of them.

If I've enjoyed a game by the creator I'm ten times more likely to try a new one. Recommendations and reviews are big as well, even above the user's own description, screenshots and videos - although those can also be selling points, if they showcase something I'm interested in.

I usually ignore the comments because those tend to be whipped off quickly and with less critical analysis than a review. I don't think I've ever looked at download numbers, either. The CSS/style of a page might hook me if it's done really well, but the default never bugs me. Feature lists also never seem to mean much out of context.

---

Weird, for me I guess a reputation/recommendation from other people influences me way more than the dev's feature list/screenshots? IDK if that's good or bad but I suppose it means the dev's attempt to promote doesn't affect me much.
Here's how every aspect roughly weighs in my decision to download and play:

Description - 10% (if the story sounds original)
Game Page Presentation - 0%
Download Amounts - 0%
Graphics and Use of - 5% (if the game looks good visually)
Videos of the project - 20% (if the gameplay looks fun and original)
Creator - 5% (only for calunio (so far))
Comments - 0%
Game Score - 5% (at least 2 reviews and 3 stars or above)
Reviews - 5% (if I like the review(s) and if the game sounds good)
Hype - 0%
Features - 50% (if the described gameplay features sound fun and original)
Recommendations - 0%
I picked graphics, mostly because that determines what games I won't play. but I do make exceptions when the comments and reviews are really positive. I don't have time to play RTP Adventure #14,083
Hesufo
I am pretty interested in hooking up sometime. Screw me.
author=LockeZ
Also, page presentation, hype, and several others of these things are more subconscious influences than conscious ones. We're told not to judge a book by its cover and not to pay attention to hype, and we claim we don't, and we try not to, but we do it anyway by accident sometimes.

I intentionally do the opposite of this. In fact, I love playing and giving feedback on obscure, unknown games from little-known users. Most of them are terrible RTP-ridden messes but most are still enjoyable, and they, on average, will value your feedback and take it to heart more often than the creator of a popular game that already has a big influx of feedback or a fanbase (of course this is NOT always the case). So, at least for me, the more perfectible and little-known a game is, the more likely I am to try it out and criticize it, as a way of encouraging those users to improve their games and keep them motivated.

Maybe it is an actual subconscious choice, though, and an ugly one at that - for example, I admit I envy games that look better than my own project, and I rarely play those unless they are extremely well-received or largely popular. I also have a pet peeve against the general over-use of fogs and screen effects, which often happens on said games, so those will most probably irk me, from a visual standpoint.

In the end, I think, I guess I just don't care about graphical prowess in RPG Maker games, and so I'd rather check out the lesser-known ones, even if they are RTP Adventure #14,084. Plus, I'm more of a gameplay-type of person, so I look forward to trying out that aspect, no matter how generic the game may look at first glance.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I sometimes decide based on:

The engine. if I need to download a different RTP then
I'm not inclined to download.

The file size. I don't like downloading games that start going
into the 100's.

Easy to unzip. I hate games that have .rar files. It means I
need to download a trial of something that can unpack it.

Even then I usually only play the game just to see what it
has to offer, which means I usually dedicate a couple hours
to a game, but not finish it. If I spent too much time
playing the games on here I wouldn't have time to make
my own, which takes the majority of my time.
At the end I chosed Graphics. Because while I consider Writting to be just as important, and Gameplay even more important than those two, Graphics are what I'm more knowledgeable of, and the most accessible feature of a game, after all. =P

Thoughts
Description: Yes. Like Deckiller said, good writting is very important, not just in RPGs but in every genre. Even if a game is not story-heavy, I expect some creativity on item descriptions or any other world-building elements.

Game Page Presentation: Sure. Simply by changing the colors you can convey the themes of a game. A fancy CSS design may even tell you that person is code-savvy so you can probably expect custom game mechanics.

Download Amounts: Eh... Only if its like really big, it may spark my curiosity a little.

Graphics: YES! I could go on and on about this. But I do plenty of that already. ^^;

Videos of the project: Yes. After graphics is the next thing that I tend to look for...

Creator: Not always. Assuming a creator would want to explore different subjects and genres with each game, I'd be more inclined to take those things into account first rather than just the creator's abilities to gam mak.

Comments: Yes. "All feedback is good feedback" Specially if they're well-founded.

Game Score: No, considering they're tied to Reviews here. I'd rather read the reviews than just going by an arbitrary number. If they were separate, they would be an useful bit of information just like downloads, but that's it.

Reviews: Yes. If the review is positive and is well written, it can play a decisive role.

Hype: Haha! No! ...Well, maybe to criticize the game and mess with the fanboys. ;)

Features: Sure. But I tend to take those promises with a grain of salt; Often times they're rather grandiose or vague in nature. That's why I look up for gameplay videos first, to see how those features play out in reality...

Recommendations. Not much. It's like with comments. If a recommendation is well-founded then yes. But in my experience, people are too easy to please, and sometimes can't even explain why they like what they like.
Pages: first 12345 next last