[POLL] JUDGING WHETHER TO DOWNLOAD A GAME? WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR?

Poll

What is the major/deciding factor for YOU when choosing whether or not to download a game for the first time? - Results

Description - If there's a summary of the plot that catches your interest
25%
Game Page Presentation - Including CSS, logos and the like
2%
Download Amounts - That is, the number of downloads the game already has.
2%
Graphics and Use of - As presented via Screenshots
33%
Videos of the project - Whether LPs, Game Trailers or other
1%
Creator - Having played their past games or knowing them personally/by reputation
5%
Comments - What others have said in the comment section
5%
Game Score - The rating given, whether good or bad
1%
Reviews - Whether they be LTs or written reviews.
3%
Hype - Whether it be flooding with advertisement on sites or
1%
Features - Gameplay promises and certain scripts
9%
Recommendations - Hearing from others that it's worth playing
6%

Hype juts out to me because, I'll admit, I DO download games because of hype, and its not solely because a game is more popular, but that I am more likely to know of its presence if it has been hyped.

Once I am actually on a games entry, and can judge what I see, graphics catch my eye, but what hooks me in are a games features, how they are implemented, and if the game embodies a set of features which I feel would make it a fun game, then Ill give it a whirl.

Game scores have a fair influence on my decision, too. A game which has a bad, or some bad ratings doesn't necessarily mean that its going to be an awful game, and the converse is true with good ratings - I usually think that games with good ratings across the board, must be doing something right, however. Scores are iffy in these communities because a game can be scored on technical merit and not actually be a fun game, as is the case with games that have implemented custom systems with relatively complex code. Sure, that's cool, but is the game fun to play?
I picked Creator, that's the honest truth these days. I wish I still had the time to download ones at random and try them out, but the real world demands more attention as I get older. I make sure to play games by people I consider friends, although I can be persuaded to try stuff if those friends recommend it to me.
I went for reviews. If a game has around an dozen four star reviews backing it, then the probability of me actually trying it out increases.

However my preference veers towards games that try something different from the rm norm, so anything presenting an experiential concept in terms of gameplay or narrative would equal a instant download for me.

I have more time to write stuff now, so I figured I'd go into more detail about the different choices like alterego did:

Description: I'll generally only bother to read the description if the game already interested me with the graphics and presentation.

Game Page Presentation: This hardly matters to me. I like a well designed CSS as much as the next guy, but it's just fluff. It has nothing to do with the game, so you'd be better off focusing on having good screenshots.

Download Amounts: This is like "number of subscribers" in terms of importance. It basically means nothing to me. I'm sure I would appreciate a high download count as a developer, but it makes no impact on my decision to be interested in a game.

Graphics: This is the most important part of a game in terms of presentation and marketing, honestly. If the game doesn't look nice then the bottom line is that most people won't want to play it. When I look for a game on this site I look for stuff with interesting menus, maps, characters, art, and so on. I easily pass by stuff that uses Rudras or rips in general (unless they're used VERY well like in Everlasting Journey and Starless Umbra).

Videos of the project: I'm sure that if I was drawn to the project I'd love to see videos of it before downloading. I've never really noticed this around RMN though, most people don't seem to do it.

Creator: This varies, I guess. It really only comes into play when someone reaches amazing levels of fame or becomes well known for their prowess in game design, like kentona, Craze, & dragonheartman. Also it seems that European creators just kick serious ass at everything.

Comments: Honestly I don't really read main game page comments unless I'm the developer. I go over the ones on images because there's usually less of them, and they're more interesting to read.

Game Score: Higher rated games with lots of reviews stand out to me like they would to anyone, yeah. This is a hard thing to get a good feel about on RMN, since only a few games get a fair number of reviews for a truly honest score. Even then I don't often agree with it, like Forever's End being highly rated. My tastes differ from most people's, I guess.

Reviews: I can't say that I read them. Unless I'm the developer, that is. I don't know, I don't really need to hear an essay about how great/shitty something is when I could play it myself.

Hype: I almost never agree with the hype. Case in point, Forever's End.

Features: This can play a big role in it, I suppose. It works like you'd expect it to, I find certain features interesting and it makes me like the game more.

Recommendations: See Hype + Review answers.
Probably the description and graphics usage for me.
I play everything that comes out. So there's no real criteria for me.
I would start off with buzz/popularity to see why a game is generating so much buzz. After that, I would read the comments before finally looking at the game's screenshots and videos. So I guess the deciding factor for me to download a game here would be the comments/recommendations and the screenshots/videos, with hype playing the role as the persuading factor for the comments and the screenshots/videos.

By the way, I don't particularly care about game descriptions because most descriptions only briefly describe the game. What truly will attract me are the gameplay videos and screenshots to a slightly lesser extent. Those will ultimately tell me whether the gameplay/writing/graphics are good or not. I always believe in the saying that "pictures/videos speak louder than words".

In short: Hype/Popularity first, Comments/Recommendations & finally Screenshots/Videos as the ultimate deciding factor.
So many graphics whores. Pretty ironic when over half the games are simple RTP.

I chose features, but I can be swayed by other things.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
I am a graphics whore, but features are a close second. In truth, I don't 'care' as much about the game by itself, but the gameplay features that distinguish it from the rest. I find it very hard to get into an RPG Maker Game storyline.
I'll have to agree that this feels like it should have been a multiple choice, possibly even weighted as well.

Either way, Graphics is basically what I go for, as there is so much which can be inferred by the screenshots of a game. A good set of screenshots will generally give you a good idea of the gameplay, story, setting and other things the creator is particularly proud of.
An important note here is that the images doesn't necessarily need to be "pretty", they just need to be somehow interesting.

If this succeeds, I will typically go on to read the description, then look at other stuff, like reviews and comments before I download the game.
If I'd been able to...
For me, time invested in playing is a bigger issue than money spent... so when I want to play games with great graphics, I go for commercial stuff. Free indie games just can't compete in that department.

Therefore, when I peruse RM games... I don't really care much for graphics. I'm more interested in people's game ideas. Concepts, gameplay features, etc.

I originally would have said 'writing,' but the level of writing on here is laughably bad. The very best of the bunch, as in the handful of projects touted primarily for its writing, is only about as well written as a morning soap opera script or a weekly webcomic... impressive for an amateur... but still not worth my time. A sad revelation for me, since the very first game that I tried here was well written.

So um... I guess description and screens to see what type of game it is, or what sort of setting is being constructed.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I read a description, usually. If the description isn't well presented, engaging or well-written, I won't play. I don't care how good a game looks if the story doesn't interest me; same goes for games I buy while I'm shopping. I'm always interested in the blurb. Which sucks, sometimes, since a lot of games do a terrible job at describing their game accurately.

But story is why I end up playing, and it's probably why I play very little games on this site.
I'm really pulled in by screenshots, and you can keep me if your description is interesting! That said, I usually like to only play games that are completed, and if a really good creator is involved I'll usually be right up in that business.
author=SorceressKyrsty
I read a description, usually. If the description isn't well presented, engaging or well-written, I won't play. I don't care how good a game looks if the story doesn't interest me; same goes for games I buy while I'm shopping. I'm always interested in the blurb. Which sucks, sometimes, since a lot of games do a terrible job at describing their game accurately.

But story is why I end up playing, and it's probably why I play very little games on this site.

You forgot that if there's bishies on the cover or if it's of a certain series... ;P

Well, personally I like a little of each, but it really depends. If it's someone I know personally I'm more likely to give the game a look, though sometimes screenshots on the front page will draw me in.

And I have to admit... I, uh, do sometimes get grabbed by the name of a project. Usually I get disappointed but sometimes it pays off. Well-presented screenshots and descriptions work on me too. I do like me some pretties, though they aren't going to make or break the deal for me.

But a boring description? Yeah, that's a deal-breaker. I play for the stories, homies~
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
For me, a decent game description seems to work, especially if an interesting plot and/or game features are involved. Also, I will download games from certain developers I have enjoyed before. The other big factor not included in the poll is the blogs related to the game that might mention something that piques my interest. Screenshots and videos are definitely the ones I tend to ignore the most for the decision.
I don't care the graphics, I don't care the scores and ratings, I usually put my sight onto screenshots related to promised features.
Well, when the graphics represents the front-end of the game, I'd rather to see what features and systems (or it's called back-end) the game has.

Sometimes, a game doesn't need too much eye candies :p
I can't believe so many people care about the graphics -_- Yes it is a part to a game and it's rather nice when the graphics are good and all, but damn, graphics don't make a game!
Of course they don't but screenshots can show you a lot about a game - the effort a person has put into it, their relative mapping skill, their ability with the program and when dialogue is featured, their writing ability. It can also show off features, battle and menu systems and the like, so... I guess there's a reason for it~
author=Liberty
Of course they don't but screenshots can show you a lot about a game - the effort a person has put into it, their relative mapping skill, their ability with the program and when dialogue is featured, their writing ability. It can also show off features, battle and menu systems and the like, so... I guess there's a reason for it~

Good point, really it is. I took the choice as to mean the graphics of the game period, though the way you put it makes sense.