ACTION GAMES IN RPGMAKER

Pages: first 12 next last
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I think I can only really think of two successful action oriented Rpgmaker games. Those are Pokemon The Evil Inside 2 and The Chimera Report(2001 version). Now the purpose of this topic is to ask.. Is there really a way to make an action oriented game through Rpgmaker now with the enhancements of XP and VX? ???
author=Tau link=topic=1315.msg19980#msg19980 date=1213403838
I think I can only really think of two successful action oriented Rpgmaker games. Those are Pokemon The Evil Inside 2 and The Chimera Report(2001 version). Now the purpose of this topic is to ask.. Is there really a way to make an action oriented game through Rpgmaker now with the enhancements of XP and VX? ???
Yes. But coding an action game is harder than coding an RPG because with RPGs, you can avoid having to code hit detection and physics systems. Even in a fairly simplistic action game, there's going to have to be some sort of calculus going on if you want any sort of believable motion to, for example, projectiles.

Essentially you're going to have to do the same work in XP or VX that you would do in a normal programming language, except that the graphics rendering system would already be in place.

Also, and this is what held me up long enough to lose interest when I was trying it, modern action games can't get away with tile-based obstructions as easily as RPGs. Even platformers often need slopes, and overhead action-y-er games (like Zelda, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, etc.) tend to prefer obstructions based on....well I'm not sure, but I assume they're either vector-based obstructions or use hitboxes that vary per-object....either way this would require a database of obstructions that RPG Maker XP and (from what I've seen) VX don't have--this means either a custom database editor or hard coding it.

I'm not saying all this to discourage people from doing it necessarily, but it's not an easy thing to do and it'd be bad to go into this thinking it is. I haven't gotten to try out VX enough to know its resource-usage, but you'd probably be better off coding your own engine rather than using RMXP, just because chances are if you can handle all this stuff, you can also handle making a more efficient graphics engine. The only real benefit to sticking to RMXP with this sort of thing is the robust map editor--and that's assuming you're using tiles like RMXP's.

Also, there's always Sphere and ika, which might be better suited for this stuff.
Way to totally ignore game maker! It used to be the only thing I ever used. I was always one for making top down shooters
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I'm fairly confident with my skills in Rpgmaker to be able to pull off an Ok action game. Of course I'd have to factor in the terrain elements like say if I wanted.. I don't know bouncing grenades I'd have to use the "terrain value" of certain tiles in the chipset.

You can make a certain tile have a value from 0-9. So create the chipsets in such a manner that the floor in front of a wall has a certain value. Let's say: 5. Variables can be assigned to be a certain objects terrain value, so in your XY monitoring or in the grenade event itself you can add the code to constantly watch the grenade's terrain value as it moves across the screen (putting it in the grenade illuminates lag as it only checks when the grenade is thrown).

As for determining it's angle of change, the grenade event should check it's own location and compare it with the original throwing location. If the grenade is thrown to the left, and the grenades current Y is less then the original Y, that means the grenade has to bounce 90 degrees to it's right. If the current Y is more then the original Y then the grenade has to turn to it's left. And if the current and original Y are the same, then the grenade should do a 180 degree turn and fly back.

Simply count the amount of "steps" the grenade makes to make sure it stops after a certain distance is traveled. Wow Ive gone off topic haha. Myers this was merely a question to see whether or not with the Scripting and what not in XP & VX if an action type game is more possible then through Rm2k3 and such.

Of course Game Maker is the shit for this type of thing from what Ive seen(Ad Nauseum is awesome!) just merely a question is all. ;)
author=myersguy link=topic=1315.msg19990#msg19990 date=1213408061
Way to totally ignore game maker! It used to be the only thing I ever used. I was always one for making top down shooters

Yeah, i've only recently started using game maker and it's perfect to create action type rpg's. I've played quite a few good ones. Anyway, to create action games in 2000 or 2003 you have to use a lot of coding and it's a PAIN!!! to do. Not sure about XP and VX but i agree with shadowtext that using sphere and ika would be much more suited for this stuff.
Well, I actually found Ruby to be easier to work with than Game Maker though. At least, it's easier when it comes to coding complex objects. But RGSS is just GOD DANG SLOW come pare to GML :-\ It's easier than coding purely in Ruby because with RGSS it's like you already have graphic and sound libraries ready for you.

Here's an action RPG game done purely by RGSS in RMXP. ;)
http://www.rpgmaker.net/forums/index.php?topic=836.0

I'm considering working on an action game engine in RMXP soon, I just want to get a little more used to RMXP itself. I made an action game engine for my RM2K3 game and I think it's pretty good for the editor I made it with. (But in the demo I released it sucks)
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
There are better engines to use for action games than the RM series.
Tile-based action systems never work, unless it's tRPG-based, like Treasure Hunter G or Live-a-Live. And even then, those weren't true action battle systems. You always want to have pixel movement for it to work well.

Not to mention the hit detection in the RM* series kinda sucks.
Nobody can name one good action game in RPG Maker.
Maybe Idunn Ymiraldor but that's it.

It just doesnt work. Either use another engine or try in RMXP.
There's really only been one action game on RM that I enjoyed and that was Memories of Mana. It was a Mana series fangame on RMXP. It's in another language though sadly. Funnily enough, I found it to be much better than Square-Enix's latest Mana failures.
Yeah, i've heard of that and it's supposed to be good. It's mainly just the coding and stuff that makes this such a pain to do. :(
Just use gamemaker, much more suited for this :).
What ever tao is on, I want 2!! no 3... no, no 4!!!
I personally love Sphere for action-RPG games. Sphere is more organized than Game Maker for RPGs.
Now that you mentioned it... I want you guys to check this link, considering it's probably a kind of action made in rm2k that you guys should check out... this might deffinitely give you more motivation on the idea of the possibility of making an action game.

it's creator: Sato (spanish developer)

the original thread (in spanish):
http://www.neverafterstudios.com/imaginarium/viewtopic.php?t=1581&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

the latest tech demo download:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=0BWY3YKE

by the way, it's not advertising... I merely posted this in order to give a better idea on this whole thread.
I dont know. Personally I seen good action games but not from english makers. If you go on youtube (Im a major youtuber so...) and look at some of these action games, they are mostly spanish oriented games. And some are for the 2k3. So they are out there its just I guess not for those who only speak english. lol.
they exist, but they're clunky and difficult to manage because of their tile-based restrictions. take it from me, it's better to see them made in a different engine.

I don't know, these two ABS' are the best I've seen in RM2k3, I know it functions a whole lot better in XP and Gamemaker though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msUqw3Scluw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SotgdE824&feature=related
author=Ashramaru link=topic=1315.msg26819#msg26819 date=1218216318
I don't know, these two ABS' are the best I've seen in RM2k3, I know it functions a whole lot better in XP and Gamemaker though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msUqw3Scluw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SotgdE824&feature=related
Haha, do you see those comments in the second video? Hilarious.

But yeah, the second video had a great battle system. It's a shame that it could only do 20 x 15 maps, or else the system wouldn't work. It was very good, though.
Pages: first 12 next last