ONE PIECE ROLE-PLAY

Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=LockeZ
- Pudgy balding man who crossdresses as a mermaid, and considers himself a mermaid at heart who was stuck in the wrong body, like the pirate version of a furry/otherkin
- 10 year old girl, ran away from home into a life of piracy, overcompensates for her age and gender by acting like an extremely ruthless killer
- Bronzepunk enthusiast, creates machinery with bronze age sensibilities and designs but contemporary (for the pirate era) functionality, speaks with an affected and historically incorrect bronze age method of speech, basically the 1700s equivalent of steampunk

I love all of these. I think the Bronzepunk guy is my favourite because there's a main cast member in the manga/anime called Franky. He's a self-made cyborg shipwright who is always building weapons and saying "Super!"

Mawk nailed it by saying One Piece is broad. The reason that it's so appealing and printed around the world is that it isn't JUST another Shounen series. It's this perfect blend of comedy, super powers, pirate era, drama, and action that never leaves you bored. It builds you up with extreme emotion and then hits you with extreme action scenes.
Why I'd want to RP this, personally, is because A) I love powers (duh), and B) the ability to mix comedy with serious story telling would be fun! (Not to mention I don't have to mod or anything, so it's work free!)

Back to your characters---
The little girl has growth potential, as she'll grow physically and get stronger through the process of training all that time.
The fat weirdo would be funny for a while, but only as a temporary character who maybe turned out bad. Something Oda(the creator of OP) does well is making really weird and stupid characters and turn them into compelling loathsome and/or badass enemies.
Being a 'normal' guy in this world would be boring for everyone.
Yeah, One Piece isn't really serious. There is clowns, fat ladies at the size of a building, transvestites, mermaids, giant octopuses, robots and all other stuff of things. The only thing you should worry about is technologies. It's more like some sort of steampunk... Prety close anyways. So not everything is approved. :)
I'm interested.

I watched One Piece for a while in the past. I think I got through the first hundred or two hundred episodes before I moved on at the time (I realize there are A LOT more). Though, admittedly, that was a while ago.

What I don't have experience is would be RPs. Its something thats peeked my interest before, but I've never done it. What would it require of me to do besides making a character and joining the forum? I assume nothing too excessive?
Dudesoft
Creating a character is easy if you avoid Devil Fruit and seastone weapons, because then it gets complicated.

As for Role-Play; warning! You will be writing a lot. This is a very word heavy forum, I'm finding. Just go to the site and search the ocean subforums for any RP thread. You'll see what I mean. Give it a read through and then decide if this is for you.
I was hoping for a Devil Fruit power, lol. What I had in mind was increasing the body's electricity and using it to create a magnetic field around the character that he could manipulate. That character then could proceed to use that magnetic field for a variety of techniques. Specifically, I was thinking the ability to fight with wield a number of swords beyond without even needing to use his hands (I like swords...)

The lengths don't really bother me. I guess the next question would be how often is that length expected? If its not absolutely mind boggling amount, I think it'd be worth a try, at the very least. Looking at how often new posts come in each thread, I'm doubting it'd be near the point of being way too daunting. After my exams finish up this week, I'll have plenty of free time for the summer anyways.

I never did RPs before as well, who cares. :)
Dudesoft
author=LX_Theo
I was hoping for a Devil Fruit power, lol. What I had in mind was increasing the body's electricity and using it to create a magnetic field around the character that he could manipulate. That character then could proceed to use that magnetic field for a variety of techniques. Specifically, I was thinking the ability to fight with wield a number of swords beyond without even needing to use his hands (I like swords...)

The lengths don't really bother me. I guess the next question would be how often is that length expected? If its not absolutely mind boggling amount, I think it'd be worth a try, at the very least. Looking at how often new posts come in each thread, I'm doubting it'd be near the point of being way too daunting. After my exams finish up this week, I'll have plenty of free time for the summer anyways.

That's what I mean by headache... There's already a canon DF user with that ability. You'd have to review all the fruits to make sure you're not copying. Even something similar would be denied by a mod.
author=Dudesoft
author=LX_Theo

That's what I mean by headache... There's already a canon DF user with that ability. You'd have to review all the fruits to make sure you're not copying. Even something similar would be denied by a mod.

Hmm... You don't say? Without that I'm much less motivated to try it. Eh, good luck to you all. I think I'll try RPing on a day when I can more do it to my own desires.
One thing to keep in mind about the One Piece world is that the technology is pretty restricted. Only certain islands and groups have higher technology - the marines, government and some futuristic islands. The rest of the world is stuck with flint-lock pistols, steam engines and ships.

There's no automatic weapons, no airplanes, no internet. Phones are small snails that emit frequencies (Den-Den Mushis <3 ) which also serve as recording instruments.

Higher technology, if it does exist, usually comes from futuristic islands (where the civilisation advanced a lot faster than others), experimentation on those with powers, long-lost ancient civilisations (like the tone dials in Skypeia - an island in the sky. Dials have different functions like tone dials which record and replicate sound, impact dials that store any impact (punch, hit, hammer blow) then blows it back out when activated or smell dials that store certain smells) or powers gotten from fruits.

The government controls most of the first, do the second, try to find all the third and either eliminate, detain or capture the last. In some cases they ignore, but usually Fruit users have power and will join either the Marines, Government, Revolutionaries or Pirates.

The general populace doesn't have access to most of the better technologies unless they live on a futuristic isle or have been ignored by the Marines/Governement. There's flint-lock pistols available for most, den-den mushis are used often (though certain ones are kept aside for military/government use, such as the black ones that allow you to tap 'phone' lines) and there's at least one sea train that runs between certain islands.

Now, while the above is true, there are some technologies that slip through the cracks, including the Dials and other ancient technologies that the government missed.

The One Piece world is... a full-on experience when you think about it. There's just so much there that it can get overwhelming when really trying to put it into words - but the way the actual manga/anime plays out allows you to retain the information without being overloaded - which is great, because it's a fully-fleshed world with a lot of mysteries, histories and adventure.

If fact One Piece's world is too much for a just one person working on it. Sometimes it feels like it's creator is exhausted, especially when looking at design of some characters. Like "Sweet mother of God, this is 538583 character I'm making, I don't know how should he looks! Let it be a... shark with a lightsabers riding on a... I don't know... chocolate pie with 8 legs... Yeah... I think I yet not did such a character.".
Well, considering he's said in interviews that he only usually gets 4 hours of sleep a night, tops... Yeah, that sounds about right.

And yet he keeps churning out the awesome. If he can do it, there's no excuse for Lazy Tite. :/

One thing I do love about Oda (besides his work) is just how humble he is. He's a really nice fellow and his interviews read as him being really embarrassed or giving credit to those who inspired him and such.
author=Liberty
Technology talk.

So yeah, I'm going to need some help figuring out where my character might be from then, since I'm making a mech pilot.

And I've been making some sketches and it's starting to look really cool. So far it's looking like a sort of goofy hybrid between the Egg Walker and the Lagann, with a bit of Sword Strike Gundam thrown in when it comes to the hands.
Dudesoft
So, here's some threads to note:
DF Request Thread
I'm game drawing your DF fruit. But I think the rest of you aren't going that way. Lol
also;
Chapter One: Cash Out Raid
The story here is the start of the RMN Crew. Because you guys are still working on your characters, it may not be interesting. However, if you care to read along, that's up to you!

CyberDagger, what have you got? Want to show us your ideas/sketch?
Your character could be the son of a scientist who worked for the government and stole the blueprints to a new war machine that later got scrapped due to the introduction of the Pacifistas*. Or found an ancient relic from the Void Century* and is looking for a way to fix it completely (say it starts off damaged, but with enough ability left to have 2-3 'moves'. As you progress through the Grand Line, you could learn more about it via stealing blueprints, finding texts, experimentation and talking to mechanics. This way it and you can get stronger the longer you have it and you'll be able to be a more balanced character.)

Want to learn more? I got a little carried away... >.<;

Pacifistas are cyborgs that the World Government* created. They're very strong and can shoot lasers (thanks to stealing/experimenting with Kizaru's* powers) and use the body of a very powerful ex-Pirate and Shichibukai*, Bartholemew Kuma.

Void Century was a 100 year period that the World Government has declared taboo to research. During this era there were created the Ponyglyphs* and the Ancient Weapons*. The Government is so paranoid about the era that they even went and annihilated an island, Ohara*, using the dreaded Buster Call*, to the last citizen. In fact, Ohara itself and talk of the place is now considered taboo and the island has been all but forgotten by the world, bar a few people and Nico Robin*.

The World Government is the ruling power of One Piece and consists of an alliance of many, many different islands and powers in the world. It is ruled by the Celestial Dragons* and the Gorosei Five*. They are shown to be full of corrupt people so far, who turn a blind eye to slavery and other horrible acts when it comes to those in power.

Kizaru is one of the three Marine Admirals* and very, very strong. He ate the pika-pika no mi (light-light devil fruit) which gives him the ability to travel at the speed of light and use lasers. He's also seen wielding a sword of light and is one of the strongest characters in the One Piece world.

Shichibukai, also known as the Seven Warlords of the Sea, are seven strong/infamous pirates who work for the Government to aid them in policing the seas. They are the answer to the Yonkou. Over the course of the manga/anime there have been changes to the line-up. The original members consisted of Sir Crocodile, Boa Hancock, Dracule Mihawk, Bartholomew Kuma, Gekko Moria and Donquixote Doflamingo.
Sir Crocodile was eventually replaced by Marshall D. Teach, Gekko Moria went missing after the War of the Best, Bartholomew Kuma was turned into a Pacifista (possibly still counts as a Shichibukai, though), Buggy the Clown took over Marshall D. Teach's position when he quit and Donquixote Doflamingo quit.

Ponyglyphs are indestructible tablets that contain information about the Ancient Weapons and the Void Century. The World Government has tried to destroy or move them, but failed. They are written in a text that has been lost to time and only the scholars of Ohara ever managed to translate it. Spread through-out the world, there is only one person left capable of reading the text and it is her dream to read each one and learn about the Void Century.

The Ancient Weapons are three incredibly powerful weapons that were created during the Void Century and hidden. Their names are known - Poseidon, Pluton and Uranus - and two of the three have been shown in the anime/manga already. Pluton is a machine of some kind. The blueprints for it have been destroyed after being protected and handed down from shipwright master to pupil since the Void Century. Poseidon is an actual person who has the ability to call apon the power of Sea Kings and control them as they will.

Ohara was an island of scholars who investigated any and all interesting things. This includes the Void Century. The island was destroyed by the World Government when it was discovered they were researching the Void Century. Only one person survived the destruction - a young Nico Robin.

Buster Call is the name given to an armada attack by the Marines to destroy an island completely, including all who live on the island. Only the Admirals are supposed to be allowed to call for a Buster Call. Two have been seen in the series so far - the first on Ohara in a flashback, the second on Enies Lobby - the island of justice where pirates are judged before being executed or sent to Impel Down.

Nico Robin in the sole survivor of the Ohara Buster Call and considered one of the most dangerous people to the World Government due to her ability to understand the Ponyglyphs and determination to uncover the Void Century. She has since joined the Mugiwara pirate Crew and has been in contact with the Revolutionary Army. A main character of the series.

Celestial Dragons are a group of people who are thought to be the descendants of those who created the World Government. As such, they are considered Holy and Untouchable - by either the law or others. They tend to be complete asshats and are shown breaking laws, going so far as to buy slaves and kill people in public, take what they want and being spoilt. If any goes against them the Marines send an Admiral to deal with them.
Indeed, their first appearance in the series shows one of them killing a slave that can no longer work, steal a woman with the intent to marry her despite her clearly being shown not wanting this and shooting said woman's fiancé.
They are also clearly inbred-looking. And require a tissue.

Gorosei Five are five elderly men who are the ruling Elders of the World Government. They are the true power of the world. Not much is known about them besides their name and faces.

The Marine Admirals are three of the strongest Marines. They're the second-highest command rank in the Marines, topped only by Fleet Admiral, and are given many powers over the civilians and other Marines alike. They are given codenames that combine a colour and animal. There have been five Admirals shown in the present of the series thus far.
Aokiji - the Blue Pheasant, also known as Kuzan - who has eaten the ice-ice fruit. As a Logia-type his is very strong, being shown freezing a tidal wave and using an ice-sword. He was a contender for Fleet Admiral, but lost the battle that he and fellow Admiral, Akainu, were involved in. He has since left the Marines.
Kizaru - the Yellow Monkey, also known as Borsalino - who uses the pika-pika no mi and still retains his post as an Admiral.
Akainu - the Red Dog, also known as Sakazuki - who used the magma-magma Logia-fruit and has since been upgraded to Fleet Admiral. He has been shown to be very strong, does not use a sword and is very hard-line when it comes to justice. He is also hated by many of the One Piece fan base due to his actions in the War of the Best.
Fujitora - the Pink/Purple Tiger, also known as Issho - who uses a gravity-type fruit. Not much is known about him except that he is blind and seems to want to protect the civilians from the dangers of battles that the marines may cause.
Unknown - there's one more unknown Admiral.

Yonkou are four 'Kings' of the New World. They are the strongest four pirates in the world and considered to be extremely strong with many allies and other crews beneath them. They 'own' various areas of the New World and rule them.
They consist of Kaido, 'Red Haired' Shanks, Big Mam and Whitebeard. After the War of the Best, Whitebeard's allies had to pull out, hence his spot was taken by Blackbeard.

War of the Best was a war to save the life of a captured pirate, one of Whitebeard's sons. Many pirates took part in the effort, as the pirate was well-known and well-loved. Many still, lost their lives and eventually they had to pull out after Red-Hair Shanks arrived on the scene to put an end to the fighting. Betrayal, death, family and the definition of justice were the themes of the arc. Widely considered one of the better arcs (which isn't saying much since imo all the arcs - bar fucking Davy Back - are all decent.)

Sea Kings are giant beasts which look like serpent-animal hybrids most of the time. They roam all areas of the oceans - the Blues, Grand Line and New World. The Calm Belt, which buffers both sides of the Grand Line, is a breeding ground for the beasts and considered the most dangerous area in the world.

Impel Down is the under-sea prison where pirates who have been caught are kept. There are several different 'levels' in the prison, with the bottom most floor reserved for the most dangerous criminals. There have only been two break-outs in the history of the prison - one being a character from the Strong World movie, Shiki. The second was set during the series and involved a break-in of one and break-out of many.

Mugiwara; Strawhat in English; is the moniker given to Monkey D. Luffy, the main character of the series. His crew is called the Mugiwara crew, which consists of - currently - nine characters.

Revolutionary Army is a group of people under the banner of Dragon, the most Wanted person in the world, who work against the World Government and Marines to free countries from tyrannical rule and save slaves. They haven't been talked about much, but it is known that Bartholomew Kuma was, at one point, a Revolutionary.

Fleet Admiral is the highest rank of the Marines. There have been three shown thus far in the series - the ex-Fleet Admiral, Kong; Sengoku the Buddha and Sakazuki.

Devil Fruit is the name given to certain fruits that, when eaten, give powers to the eater. The eater will then be unable to swim or move in water (though their powers will still be active as long as they are already an auto-power) and have a weakness to the mineral, keirosake/Sea Stone. There are three types of Devil Fruit - Logia, Paramecia and Zoan.
Logia allows the user to become an element and control their body as such. They are considered the strongest of the Fruit powers and there seems to be different levels of the same element, or near to. For example, the fire-fire fruit is weaker than the magma-magma fruit despite both dealing with fire-based powers.
Zoan allows the user to become an animal depending on what model fruit they ate. They usually have three modes - fully human, hybrid and fully animal. Some have animal additions such as smell and hearing added to their human form. There are also rarer versions of this category - mystical, ancient and awakened. Mystical/mythical zoans deal with mythical creatures such as phoenixes. Ancient deals with creatures like dinosaurs. Awakened is a very special kind of zoan who has uncovered a hidden power within themselves and can reach a higher form.
Paramecia allows the user to use 'superhuman' powers. This includes control over a certain thing (like wax), changes to the body (rubber or mineral, for example) or special abilities. It's the most common type of fruit and is considered the weakest, despite the fact that all Devil Fruit powers depend on the users' intelligence and ingenuity in use to factor strength.

New World is the latter part of the Grand Line and considered the most dangerous and unknown ocean in the world. It is also considered the area where One Piece is hidden and ruled by the four Yonkou.

One Piece is the McGuffin of the series - a treasure that was hidden by the Pirate King (the first person to sail all the way through the Grand Line from start to end.) and thought to consist of an enormous treasure unlike any other. It was confirmed to exist by Whitebeard during the War of the Best and started the Era of Pirates.

Haki is a power that uses the will of the user to allow certain skills. Broadly, there are two types of Haki common to everyone, given the proper training; however, there is a third type that only a certain group of "chosen ones" are said to possess. In simple terms, Haki is an ability to sense spiritual energy and overpower enemies. See more here: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Haki

author=Liberty
Your character could be the son of a scientist who worked for the government and stole the blueprints to a new war machine that later got scrapped due to the introduction of the Pacifistas*.

I think I might go with something like that. Maybe after reconsidering, dad decides he doesn't want to work for the government anymore, but since he's a genius and useful scientist, the people in charge capture him and ship him off somewhere where he's force to keep working. The kid gets his father's robot mansuit and goes on a quest to find out his whereabouts and break him out. Sounds good?

And by the way, I enjoyed your wall of text. I am a bit familiar woth One Piece, but my knowledge of the universe is a bit lacking, so that was actually pretty interesting.

author=Dudesoft
CyberDagger, what have you got? Want to show us your ideas/sketch?

Yes, I want to show you that. Can't scan rright now, but expect it later.
Dudesoft
Libby your DF is getting the shaft
Dudesoft
Looks like Libby is out. Didn't realise the mods there are asses.
If anyone else is quitting, let me know. Without Libby, the whole RP appeal loses its luster.
Wut, why? Is something wrong with her character? :\
Dudesoft
The mods were hassling her over petty details to a fruit power that was in no way overpowered.
She had that cool scan ability. Not just for her character, but as a power it's cool. Meanwhile I requested Gorilla power, which is pretty damn OP! And had no probs. kinda retarded~

So... Question is: who is still interested, now that we don't have a doctor?
I don't know, I thought it's gonna be a big party. If there will be 4 or maybe at least 3 men - I'm in, otherwise I will pass.