REVIEW EXCHANGE!

edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
author=Archeia_Nessiah
I'd like to exchange with someone~ If anyone could review Homework Salesman, that'll be fantastic :3

Nessy, I just finished playing it a couple of days ago and will gladly review it for you guys on the project as part of 4M. I'll just ask you to be a bit patient, since I expect it to be the longest and most thorough one I will have written so far. :)

In exchange, I propose you review J-L's game above. As you might know already, I'm not a game developer, so I can't offer one of my own. However, I have just been recruited into helping for Natura 2, so having a review of the prequel ought to be useful for me as well (NOTE: puzzle games are not my faves!). Please let know me know if you we have a deal ...

EDIT: BTW, I'm surprised nobody has reviewed it yet. Even after being featured on RMN's front page. I guess people are scared of writing reviews.
J-L
"I cannot complain when your icon of choice is a penguin"
That's most nice of you edchuy! We would certainly appreciate and I will look into reviewing Homework Salesman as soon as I have some more time.

EDIT: Our actual name is J&L, but this website wouldn't allow us to type the ampersand in the username field.
I wanna play a fun game. Something with CTB, or a good story, or that's really funny and cool. Basically, I'm bored, and wanna play something different. Surreal horror comedy or something.

I finished up to Game Plus on my game, so I know it works all the way up to the end. Just a warning, my game is loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. Some of it is grind, but there's a fair amount of dialogue and story too. And bounty hunting. And lots of books/graves/random stuff to look at. And one really pointless sidequest.

Gimme a fun game! Gimme.
While I don't have a problem Reviewing Natura, my main issue is that it's made...in RMXP ;_; I'll see what I can do though!
Okay, I guess I'll add Vagabond to this topic. I know it looks like it has a lot of reviews already, but three of them were for the vastly outdated demo version.

Really, though, I just need an excuse to work on a review for May Media Madness Month! :o

I'm not too picky, but I don't really care for SMBX games. As for RPG Maker, I can probably work with anything(I'm pretty sure I have almost all of the RTP's installed.) Soooo yeah.
edchuy
author=Archeia_Nessiah
While I don't have a problem Reviewing Natura, my main issue is that it's made...in RMXP ;_; I'll see what I can do though!

Sorry for asking, but what kind of a problem might you have with RMXP? BTW, I'm still haven't quite finished writing the review. Too much stuff to consider ...
XP sux. That terrible frontal battle view (also, there appears to be no unarmed animation and such attacks always fail). The only decent games are those that somehow change this mechanic.

Actually, nah, I like a few of XP games (Vacant Sky esp). But my first computer is making noises like it's gonna give out, and my second is a netbook with like no real gfx card. If the game has a ton of high grade visual effects (like cherry blossoms), the computer starts to lag while walking around.

I found VX Ace a bit smoother.

(And nobody so far wants to review my game, huh? I guess having a DQ7 length is sorta a turn-off. I'll add the stipulation that if I'm making you play a super-long game, I might as well play one too)
edchuy
I agree there aren't that many memorable XP games (Vacant Sky, Master of the Wind, Quintessence, The Reconstruction come to mind). The biggest issue I have with it is that for RPGs, it has very few stats compared to all other RMs.

Regarding your game, I played a demo of it probably a couple of years ago. How long would you say it would take to play? Hopefully, you'll get some taker ...
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=edchuy
I agree there aren't that many memorable XP games (Vacant Sky, Master of the Wind, Quintessence, The Reconstruction come to mind). The biggest issue I have with it is that for RPGs, it has very few stats compared to all other RMs.

That's mostly a problem with developers using the base stats and equations the engine provides for you, and people who do that are developers you typically want to avoid anyways.
author=edchuy
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Sorry for asking, but what kind of a problem might you have with RMXP? BTW, I'm still haven't quite finished writing the review. Too much stuff to consider ...

I just hate RMXP's sloggy feeling because of the 40 fps and other things :(
edchuy
author=Archeia_Nessiah

I found this which supposedly sets the framerate to 60 fps if that helps:

Making RPG Maker XP run @ 60 FPS
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Hey edchuy, would you be interested in reviewing this game?

http://rpgmaker.net/games/5066/
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Zeuzio
Okay, I guess I'll add Vagabond to this topic. I know it looks like it has a lot of reviews already, but three of them were for the vastly outdated demo version.

Really, though, I just need an excuse to work on a review for May Media Madness Month! :o

I'm not too picky, but I don't really care for SMBX games. As for RPG Maker, I can probably work with anything(I'm pretty sure I have almost all of the RTP's installed.) Soooo yeah.

I'll be willing to give it a shot. I remember playing it a while back and I was particularly impressed with the gameplay mechanics, even though it got a little bit hard at some parts.

In exhange... Eh, I don't have much to offer.

You could review The Secret of Ludia even though it's cancelled and even I don't think highly of it. Or you can take a look at Tina of the Stars even though it has quite a lot of reviews already. Up to you.
Sure thing, Ratty! I'll surprise you with which game I review! XD
author=edchuy
author=Archeia_Nessiah
I found this which supposedly sets the framerate to 60 fps if that helps:

Making RPG Maker XP run @ 60 FPS

I don't really recommend this since I tried it myself before with Advent Cirno. The sprites zoom like crazy and the menu animations are off, etc. It'd just throw the entire thing off balance haha
Is RMXP really sloggy? I've played a number of RMXP games (Vacant Sky, Exit Fate, Last Scenario, Quintessence, even a Japanese RPG called Nocturne Rebirth) and none of them seem sloggy to me on my Windows 7 laptop. They all feel smooth, if anything. Maybe it's your computer?
author=eplipswich
Is RMXP really sloggy? I've played a number of RMXP games (Vacant Sky, Exit Fate, Last Scenario, Quintessence, even a Japanese RPG called Nocturne Rebirth) and none of them seem sloggy to me on my Windows 7 laptop. They all feel smooth, if anything. Maybe it's your computer?

My computer is an i7 <:3c
If by anything it's my artist eye haha. I can see the frames and how terrible they animated. And I'm pretty sure that Nocturne: Rebirth is actually well animated than the xp rtp itself. Because I was translating that game ;-;
edchuy
author=Archeia_Nessiah
If by anything it's my artist eye haha.

And what a fine eye it is! Hopefully, it won't be too much of a pain for you when dealing with Natura ... It's only 3-5 hrs. of, you'll tell me, OK?

Nevermind, until I get that damn Runtime Error hashed out. Maybe the next update.

To answer your question, I'm not really sure (I can't play it in one sitting, which if I'm trying to playtest usually involves playing it and playing it for a few hours until I either think something should be added or I find something that I think is buggy). I'm pretty sure well more than 10 hours, and probably closer to 40+. There are a few sidequests so maybe more than that.
Bleh, bugfix from hell.

I had to check the RTP, the computer, the maps, and the database.

Anyway, it should be testable now.