RHYTHOS RPG BUILDER - A FREE AND OPEN SOURCE DEV TOOL

author=bulmabriefs144
Maybe something like an option, at battle start, called Change Battle Type (if you don't set, it defaults to the last one used) with a few menu options (ATB, CTB, Turn, and some others) and some sort of customization to variables and switches. And common event support for alot of battle stuff.

Demo video looks good so far.

Thanks, glad you like the demo video! I can definitely make it so that you can switch battle systems mid game (could be cool to change things up every now and then) - you may need multiple database entries for the same enemy appearing in different battle systems (as some will need different enemy parameters), but that is certainly doable! Of course, customization and scripting in battles will also be doable, depending on the battle plugin (I plan to make the battle systems I add highly customizable).
author=bulmabriefs144
Maybe something like an option, at battle start, called Change Battle Type (if you don't set, it defaults to the last one used) with a few menu options (ATB, CTB, Turn, and some others)

I hope you come to realize how horrible this idea is.
I like this. Definitely going to donate as soon as I get paid :)
You have raised $666 so far for your kickstarter :I
author=thatbennyguy
You have raised $666 so far for your kickstarter :I

better then nothing!
author=CyberDagger
author=bulmabriefs144
Maybe something like an option, at battle start, called Change Battle Type (if you don't set, it defaults to the last one used) with a few menu options (ATB, CTB, Turn, and some others)
I hope you come to realize how horrible this idea is.

Never. At age 80, I will still maintain that it is an awesome idea. Go to afterlife, and be judged guilty because of it, while telling Reapers "noooo, it's awesome."

Also, I meant outside the game, not inside. Giving the player this option is a bit suspect. Having a special boss with its own system can be interesting, tho.
Haha yeah, unless the systems are very similar and compatible, allowing the player to change battle systems is just asking for trouble!

On another note, here's a quick test of using the map editor with 16x16 tiles (using the tiles from Orange Engine):

I'll want to zoom in the tileset selector (and walkability arrows need work), but for the most part it works great!
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
How many layers can you have on a map in this editor?
author=Trihan
How many layers can you have on a map in this editor?

Up to 20, so you should never run out of layers (I could add more if needed).

You can place events on any layer (and even move events between layers via scripts) to place certain tiles above or below the player and other events. That's what allowed me in the kickstarter video to walk under the bridge, up the ladder (and up a layer) and then over the same bridge. It should be pretty flexible for most needs.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Yeah, I can't see anyone ever needing more than 20 layers. That's pretty rad, I hope you get funded! There are a load of Kickstarters I really want to help out, but right now I've got 91p in my bank account, no job, and a phone bill due. :(
I live with my parents. Although currently I have 100% disposable income, I'm saving much of it for a rainy day. That and I've had ISSUES with stuff like Paypal.

20 layers is about twice what most people would need. I had an enormous mountain town and only came out to 7 vertical layers.
Yeah, that's why I chose 20 layers - I couldn't imagine people needing more than that (and maps automatically adjust to save space and rendering time if you don't use all the layers).

As for not having money, I totally understand (my bank account has also been draining quickly since my last work project ended). But, even if you can't back the project yourself, spreading the word and telling your friends will help get it funded!
Can you show us what the coding interface looks like? You said it was kind of like rm2k3's event/command coding, but could be edited raw if needed and I'm curious how that translates/looks like. Could is also mean that by imitating the code of Rm2k3 games, that you could recreate the same game as a sort of port?
The coding interface is still under development, so I don't have much in terms of screenshots to show, but the plan is to have a block based system similar to rm2k3 where you can double click a command to edit it with a UI, and add commands all in a nice user interface.

When you click a command (for example, message), it will create a line of code: showMessage("The message"); double clicking this line of code will allow you to edit it in the UI, but if you switch to text editing mode, it will allow you to edit the text directly (with syntax highlighting and code completion). Switching back to the block editing mode will allow you to edit those blocks you typed manually (it has a parser, so it will recognize commands even if they are not written in the same style or are written over multiple lines). Commands written that are not one of the UI blocks will edit in the block mode as a "custom code block".

And yes, it would be possible to recreate an Rm2k3 game if I add all of the features and their battle system (which would all be possible via plugin). It would even be possible to write an importer which imported rm2k3 projects and then allowed you to edit them and port them to other platforms!
A Quick Update

Customizing tilesize in the project settings is now possible - it works for any tilesize and is debugged and working. It wont let you change the tilesize unless you delete all tilesets and maps (as they don't make sense when the tilesize changes), and you can't copy tilesets and maps between projects that have different tilesizes, but the UI problems I was talking about before are all fixed.

Now I'm working on getting basic eventing/scripting in - that'll be a big step and allow me to get rid of all the ugly hacks in the client code that handled the events before. Even if the kickstarter fails, I will still continue working on this (it will take longer, and I may try another kickstarter campaign in the future, but I definitely want to see this made).

I also recently set up a poll in the Rhythos forums asking what feature (not included in the core) people want to see most, so feel free to vote or suggest another feature there (I may even include popular features in the core or as a stretch goal): http://rhythos.com/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=feature-requests%2Fwhat-feature-would-you.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
I am so happy it is supportive of Haxe, I have heard of it before, and it sounded pretty awesome and convenient. Totally can't wait for this!
I have quite a few questions for you. Haha.
First of, what is the minimum screen resolution required. I bought some RPG maker software but cannot use it due to the fact that my screen is too small to support it.
Secondly, are you able, or will you be able, to use your own character sprites in the game?
And thirdly, is there a way to disable the battle system for those of us who like to create puzzle rpgs instead of using battles. Or would you just not use it?
thanks so much!
How small are we talking? The games exported by the editor can be as small as 320x240 (customizable), but the editor itself will require a larger resolution. I've worked in the editor at 800x600 before and it's pretty usable at that resolution. It starts to get cramped at 640x480 and while it'd probably run at a slightly lower resolution without cutting off anything important, that's about as low as I'd go for usability.

Yes, you'll be able to import your own sprites (and modify the LPC sprites as long as you license them under the CC/GPL). The editor now supports any tile size, and should be very flexible, allowing you to specify frames, equipment layers, etc. The LPC equipment and weapon graphics wont fit custom sprites unless you design the custom sprites to work with them, but you could add your own equipment sprites or just have the characters have a constant appearance.

The battle system (and all battle systems) work as plugins that add new battle commands - so you could add the Rhythos battle engine, a turn based battle system (if I or someone else creates it), multiple battle systems (to switch between for different fights), or no battle systems. And of course, even if you add a battle system (or leave the default Rhythos battle system enabled), you can just not use it.
The maximum resolution for my screen is 1024x600 I believe. So it should work pretty well I hope.
I just wanted to make sure. I'm so excited for the release of this. I've wanted game maker software for such a long time now.
:) This is a great project you've got going.
Awesome, I'm glad you're interested! I've also been posting development updates here, so you can keep track of the project: http://rhythos.com/forum/index.php?page=forumview&id=development-updates