RMN V4.5 (AND BEYOND) FEATURE IDEA LIST

It's about that time when Kenton and I might ramp up work on development of RMN.

What does the community want to see in the next updates to RMN?

(FYI, not interested in any in-fighting about how other user's ideas are stupid.)

EDIT: The big long list of features

RMN 4.5 Feature Ideas (Updated 7/16/2013)

• Indexed Images - the ability to tag and group images
  • Kenton's ideas
  • Upgrade the site to Python 3.x and Django 1.5.x
  • Post History option to only show topics you've participated in
  • More detailed stats for game profiles (downloads per day, views per day, etc)
  • A way to specify which version of a game a review was for
  • The ability to follow other RMN members (subscribe to members?)
  • RMN Game Score/Playerscore (API for in-game achievements and such)
  • Custom tagging for games/images/media
  • Forum/Comment Searching
  • Rate a game without writing a review/some sort of Like/Recommendation system
  • Multiple color themes
  • Adding a spoiler tag option for game images
  • Mark images as private while uploading them to the locker instead of after or fix whatever is wrong with the current system (I don't see anything wrong, works fine for me)
  • Uploading GIF files to game pages (done)
  • Last updated timestamp for images
  • Hide ignored users from Post History and Notices
  • Ability to see where a game page was shared to (Would have to look into how AddThis works, I'm not sure if this is possible)
  • Ability to have both Reviews and Media submitted for an event (possibly other combinations as well)
  • Make it so that when I delete a subscription or locker item it doesn't take me back to page one
  • The ability to pass the position of Lead Developer to someone else
  • Give users more control over posts in their own Gamepages (hiding posts)
  • Sort your game page list by A-Z, Z-A, Rating, subscriptions, etc
  • Progress bar for uploads
  • Send automated messages to users who have not updated their games in a while suggesting that they visit RMN and update their game
  • An option to download games right from the games list
  • Add the formatting widget to the event page description box in event admin
  • Favorite topics (you can subscribe to topics now, maybe just a favorites list so you don't get the notices?)
  • Custom shortcut links bar in the user header
  • Options for customizing game pages without knowing CSS
  • "Games like this" panel on a game's page, showing a list of other games with similar tags
  • show how a game is tagged on the game page (right now only genre is there)
  • allow users (players) to tag games
  • easier searching of tags
  • 'X people found this useful' system for scripts, resources, articles/tutorials, and reviews?
  • Post comments on download pages
  • Allow developers of commercial games to have a "buy now" button on their page
  • make it easier to view notices without actually going to the notice page (right from the user header)
  • Work on improving the current site code to make it run better
  • buzzing concept applied to forum topics
  • It would be nice if in the game list summaries, the main developer(s) are shown for each game listed
  • More control over the latest post section (block ignored users, etc.)
  • An "Action RPG" tag in the Filter Options of the Games page
  • Game makers should be able to hide or delete posts on their page
  • Polls in blogs and other areas besides the forums
Indexed Images. It'd be nice to consolidate concept art on one row, map shots on another, battles on another, etc.
Toggle showing Gameprofile summary elements - that is, choose which items (latest blog, media, review, images, etc...) are shown or not on the summary page of gameprofiles

A details page for RMN Store items

Tweak the frontpage a bit

Make the Development Portal prettier

Allow for the upload of a file for Tutorials/Scripts (for demos, for example, or a zip of all scripts as part of a package)

Ability to link separate gameprofiles that are part of a series

Look at enhancing reviews a little (was this review helpful?)

A public "Favorites" list for users, which can be shown on gameprofiles, (and eventually used to make some sort of automatic "Users who liked this also liked..." functionality)

"Liking" of posts, or whatever, to somehow show value for helping out in the Help forum, for example. (needs more thought on my part, but it is on my radar)

Expand the RMN search bar to include more items

Ability to subscribe to an Engine.

Build in functionality to assign someone as an Engine Manager so that they can update Engine pages and post bulletins for that engine.
Is there any chance of upgrading this site to django 1.5 and Python 3.X ? Also, would doing so improve site performance or efficiency any?
author=Emirpoen
Is there any chance of upgrading this site to django 1.5 and Python 3.X ? Also, would doing so improve site performance or efficiency any?

Python 3? No. Django 1.5, I'd like to get there...the site has been running on 1.2 for 3 years, but my last attempt to go to 1.4 did not go so well. I actually just made a copy of the dev environment to do some testing work on getting it up to 1.3 (and from there hopefully 1.4 and then 1.5).

What would improve the site performance would be rewriting the code. A lot of it is inefficient, especially since neither kentona or I were django developers when we started.
some kind of option for Post History that culls things to only show topics I've participated in before would be nice. I keep almost losing track of places I've posted and want to check up on again.

I dunno if it could be done or if it has already been done, but some kind of stat system to be able to keep track of interesting details, like number of downloads in a day, number of game profile views etc... It's these things people like to look back on in the long term.
Also, reviews split into for when a game was a demo and for when it is a full game. Some games have been reviewed, but the rating is based off of its demo past self, not the present quality (namely, mine).
oh yeah, analytics in game profiles would be very nice. it came up recently when someone embedded his page with an app that tracked which countries viewers were coming from. having the ability to check things like that baked into the whole submission management thing could be very cool, but I understand if it's not a priority. "making things work" always comes before "making things cool".
author=mawk
oh yeah, analytics in game profiles would be very nice. it came up recently when someone embedded his page with an app that tracked which countries viewers were coming from. having the ability to check things like that baked into the whole submission management thing could be very cool, but I understand if it's not a priority. "making things work" always comes before "making things cool".

Making things cool is much more fun to work on!
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
The ability to stalk follow other RMN members by getting "Notices".
The ability to stalk follow other RMN members by getting "Notices".

I second this.
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
That thread a while back about "rmn-game-score" was interesting. Would still be cool to see that~
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
Tagging would be nice. I know that game profiles have genre/flavours but custom tags that you type in for yourself would be cool too, like: #horror #anime #dark #non-rtp #shockers, etc.

You'd tag your game (and maybe images/media?) with as many tags you can think of that would be appropriate for it, then people can see what you've tagged it with so they can look for similar games that have the same tag.. a little bit like DeviantArt and other similar sites, I guess. So for example if I saw a really cool anime RPG but didn't know what to search for to get games of a similar flavour, I could look at the tags on this game I'd already found and see #jrpg or something which would take me to other similarly tagged gams.

Or you could put in a search function where you type in the tags you want to see in a game, like if I wanted to look for a game like Hero's Realm I'd try searching for: #oldschool #rtp #retro or something.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I just want forum searching. And maybe text searching for posts in non-forum places.

I'd also like it if hide tags and code tags worked together, since code is often huge and worth hiding.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Being able to give a star rating to a game without
writing a review.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
author=kory_toombs
writing a review.

Oh, no! Sounds like what they do @ rpgrev ...
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=kory_toombs
writing a review.

Please not this.
Maybe adding a spoiler tag to game images if they spoil a part of the game or story. Images that are spoilers would be darkened and would require a click to view.

Also adding the ability to make images private before you upload them to your locker. For some reason once I have uploaded them, I cannot make my files private.

Also the ability to submit GIF images to games. I've noticed that a lot of what I would like to show off about my game would be enhanced if it was in motion rather than a static image.

Here is an example of what I mean.

Static image.

Animated version.