Being able to give a star rating to a game without
writing a review.
Please not this.

I second the "not this".
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
- A "last updated" timestamp for images
- Hide ignored users from Post History and notices
- Ability to see where a gamepage was shared to, if possible (Does AddThis share that kind of data?)
- Forum search
author=TDS
Also adding the ability to make images private before you upload them to your locker. For some reason once I have uploaded them, I cannot make my files private.

There may be a misconception about how private locker files work. I see that all but 2 of your locker files are private. This prevents someone from visiting your locker page and seeing the files (which as far as I can tell is working as expected). Are you seeing or expecting different behavior?

Also, uploading GIFs to game pages should not be a problem. In fact, I just added that and will probably push it to the site in the next few days.
author=ankylo
author=TDS
Also adding the ability to make images private before you upload them to your locker. For some reason once I have uploaded them, I cannot make my files private.
There may be a misconception about how private locker files work. I see that all but 2 of your locker files are private. This prevents someone from visiting your locker page and seeing the files (which as far as I can tell is working as expected). Are you seeing or expecting different behavior?

Also, uploading GIFs to game pages should not be a problem. In fact, I just added that and will probably push it to the site in the next few days.

I know how it works, but no matter how many times I press the "Public" button to make it private or the update button it stays public. I've deleted all my other public files because I have not been able to turn them private. I was thinking that an option to just tag the image as private before it's uploaded would remedy this problem.

And thank you for adding GIF's.
author=Dyhalto
author=Sailerius
author=kory_toombs
writing a review.
Please not this.
I second the "not this".
I third the notion of saying No.

I keep wondering, what if videos are a part of the "Images" Tab since sites like gamejolt also encourages it. It would be great to separate it from media and stuff since users can contribute to it as well. Just a thought I had.

Another one would be to allow medias and reviews enabled for an event. MMM proved that it'd be great to have that ;-;

Subscriptions and locker not going back to page 1 when I delete stuff.

The ability to pass the position of Lead Developer to someone else.

Giving us the option to hide posts in our own gamepages just in case people spoiled stuff and a moderator isn't around. Just hide. Nothing else <_<;

Sort out our Games-developer/tester/other profile to like, A-Z, Z-A, Rating, Subscribers, etc. Something like that.

Progress bar for locker uploading would be awesome. I mean I can see the percentage in chrome by looking at the lower left corner, but sometimes I accidentally close the tab thinking it was a spare page.

Another one I was thinking, is it possible for RMN to have an automated message that reminds certain people that they haven't updated their pages for a year or something. I was looking over for in-development games but it's hard to know which one is still in development and which ones aren't. I mean they could be juts not updating their RMN page but somewhere else instead for example so a reminder would be...nice. It's just something and probably not gonna help much but yeah.

- A simple download symbol in the games list would be nice.
- Format shortcut bar on the event creation pages.
- Progress bar for uploads - locker and game
- The ability to pick favourite topics (no matter how old) so they can be easily found.

The Custom Shortcut Links idea. Basically under the RMN link in the top black bar, have a small drop down of about 5 links. Initially they'd be to the different portals, but you could edit them under your account settings so that you have shortcuts to various parts of the site that you visit the most.
So someone might have changed them so that they link to the Creative forums, a certain game page, the Script area, POTM area and a certain topic, allowing them to jump around the site from link to link.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
author=Dyhalto
author=Sailerius
author=kory_toombs
writing a review.
Please not this.
I second the "not this".
I third the notion of saying No.

I don't understand the reluctance for this. Why not? Currently the bar is a tad too high to rate games, and I think we could really benefit from games being rated more often. At the very least, the ratings would be more accurate. ...I don't think this will affect reviews in any way if that's what you fear. People who like to write reviews will keep writing reviews. People will still want them. And besides making games they're like the best way to get makerscore anyway. They're not going anywhere even if rating becomes a thing.

Just think about it. Not only is a bit unfair that ratings are tied to reviews alone, but that also creates problems of its own. What if some old review is forever attached to a .5 rating even when the game has improved? What if not enough reviews are written to even things out? Reviews are very valuable, yes, but they're still pretty scarce. A game is lucky if it even gets one...

And if you think this is exactly the reason to keep ratings tied to reviews -to encourage more reviews- I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Simply because not everyone is into reviews, just like not everyone is into Let's Plays or Fan Art, etc. Those are hobbies on their own - skills that need to be spent time on and honed in order not to 'suck'. You can't just twist people's arms into it.

Over the past couple years there have been a number of suggestions to make this a possible while preventing abuses, like limiting the ability to rate games to people with a certain number of makerscore, or media submissions, or to playstesters, or through achievements - I don't know, but I'm sure there's a reasonable alternative out there. Don't shut yourselves to it so quickly.
I don't like the general idea of rating games without reviews, but allowing testers to rate a game without reviewing would be nice. It might feel awkward and biased to review something you technically helped create. It could have its own little rating:
"Testers thought this game was... a ?/?" put it in little grey words under the official rating or something.

I've been thinking for a while that new members should probably be immediately directed to the "New to RMN?" article if they're not already, right when they sign up.

It might be nice to be able to make the way your files are sorted in your locker to be the same for the chest icon so that its a little more convenient.

I'm forgetting something...
I'm against giving 5 start rating to people who just look at the game page and decide a game looks cool without trying it, BUT some sort of alternate rating could be added.

Maybe we could have a way to check if a person downloaded a game to completion and then open up a rating ability, separate from the review count?* Or added with the reviews, but the reviews count more than the non-review counts.

*We already do this for Misao voting, right?
I don't consider a rating valid unless there's some insight into the reasoning behind it, and this is very much the sort of community where people will appeal to their fans to flood a game with upvotes if it's just a matter of a few clicks. I think it's fine as-is.

e: I should clarify that I'm saying this because it literally has happened in the past I'm not just grumping
Yeah, that kinda already happens with Misaos, doesn't it?. I'm not saying this is true in all cases, but I'm under the impression that some of the past winners managed to win not necessarily because their games were good-good, but because they were popular enough outside of rmn and that may have brought in some votes... But nobody seems to mind that!

Of course I don't want n00bs bringing in their friends to rate their games "5 STARS YEAH!" either, but let's keep in mind that every system has potential for abuse, even the current one. (Final Tear 3 anyone?) But if it's not being abused often is because most of us know better, and because we do our best to police it. That's why I prefer to think than most of use would be honest when rating a game no matter the system, but it would be preferable if said system were a more inclusive one as well.

Like I said: Playtesters, Let's players, people leaving critique on game pages... If the capacity to rate games were to be extended to these people, not only there would be something to back up that rating, but it could draw a wide range of people into giving feedback (specially if it came with a tasty makerscore reward closer to reviews) which is what matters.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The OP did specifically say that this thread wasn't the place to argue about whether other people's ideas suck, just to brainstorm.

However, just for the sake of pointing out the difference between something we already have and something we don't already have, I do feel like a Let's Try is effectively a video review and therefore could certainly be submitted as a review instead of as media if the LTer felt like giving a star rating. A Let's Play, maybe not so much, since LPs rarely talk much about a game's merits and faults... but if your LP did talk about those things, I think the staff would probably accept a review that just said "This game has mediocre plot, excellent gameplay, and terrible graphics, so I give it 3 stars. For more details, watch my Let's Play video series." So this capability already exists for video submitters, people just possibly aren't using it.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

How about for every game you review you are allowed to give
up to 3 other games a score without writing a review.
This way, if you want to score a game your going to have
to eventually write a review for another game.

This will likely prevent abuse.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
Maybe if anyone could post a mini review like "good graphics, storyline was a letdown, music was painful to endure, 2/5" and the scores all averaged into one, but if someone writes a full review then it contributes to the average more?

I dunno how easy that would be to abuse though, especially if an otherwise 5-star game's rating tanks because someone decided to be horrible and give it an undeserved 0.5 in a full review.. or the other way around.
I honestly prefer it if star ratings came from detailed feedback than micro feedback. RMN's not really a player site and more of a developer site isn't it? So not getting any feedback is already annoying and you can totally game the system with just a few couple of friends.
Not to sound old fashioned but i quite like the current home page! I wouldn't want it to change too much!
I was always under the impression that RMN was the player site, whereas RMW was the developer site.
author=LockeZ
The OP did specifically say that this thread wasn't the place to argue about whether other people's ideas suck, just to brainstorm.

Discussion is fine. I was more looking to avoid the one line posts or outright trolling.

I don't see anything wrong with have a "like" system e.g. people being able to "like" a game that they have played, but not rate it with any type of star rating. I think ratings should be tied to reviews (and extended to Let's Plays and other video reviews).

I think we need to be both a developer site AND a player site. Need people to play the games to get feedback to the developers!
author=ankylo
I think we need to be both a developer site AND a player site. Need people to play the games to get feedback to the developers!

We try ;-;
(MMM)

But my only worries about the Like System are the trolls in youtube just disliking a video WITHOUT saying why. Maybe you can like/dislike a game but you have to write a comment to do so. With a word count minimum.

But the potential problem with this is discouraging writing full-fledged reviews.
author=ankylo

Which reminds me, there was that Playerscore discussion a few weeks ago. Giving players the ability to accumulate pointless medals/icons and a score will probably give game-playing a big boost around here.