RMN V4.5 (AND BEYOND) FEATURE IDEA LIST

Not all games have writing, graphics, audio or gameplay (like, not really like Visual Novels).

A questionnaire isn't the way to go.

Favorites, tagging, "Like"-ing, or rated comments for games are worth exploring over a questionnaire, if we are looking for more ratings for more games.
If a game completely lacks something then it'd just get a "N/A" on that department. This way, a game that excels in gameplay, graphics and audio but that lack a story would still be rated 5 Stars (5+5+5/3), just as the game that excels on all those areas (5+5+5+5/4). But even games without a story tend to have some writing on them - some narrative elements (Tutorials, Item descriptions, etc.) therein lies the importance of breaking down every game aspect down a little. It's just a matter of finding a balance that best fit all games.

Not to shoot down any of the other ideas (some of which I support too) but like I said before: The more info available the better. =P
meisam
meisam your not using semicolon properly, and that's a laughing matter.
Simply this idea either cover a lot of things (witch is still not a complete list) or cover nothing, Judging a game based on 4 or 5 factor is wrong, if you make a big list, no one will participate.
Am I the only one who thinks things are fine the way they are?
author=Dyhalto
Am I the only one who thinks things are fine the way they are?

Nope. I don't see what's wrong with numbers attached to reviews. If a game isn't interesting enough to generate positive reviews to outweigh negative ones then I don't see why administration should take on the burden of making it "fair".
meisam
there is not a big problem with this system, it works fine.
but consider 5 reviews of scores 5, 5, 5, 5, 0.5 = 4 or 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 5 result is 1.4
1 review should not be able to upgrade or downgrade a game rating by 1 point.
but most games does not receive more than 3 reviews, 4, 4, 1 = 2.2 one review downgraded a 4 score game to a 2 score game. anyone want to destroy a game score can write a review. simple and effective.
now if there was a system that let the people vote on a review and most people agree with 4 scores and disagree with 0.5 score 4*2, 4*2, 1*0.5= 3.6.

edit: there is problem with this system, it encourage bot users, though I don't know how to prevent that.
If they felt the need to destroy the game with a review, the game probably deserved it. Also, I agree. It works fine.
Funny how everything is supposed to be alright and then a simple thought exercise can reveal some flaws with the current system. Things that me and several other people have been pointing out for ages. Certainly the site is not falling apart, and I'm not saying my ideas are perfect, but at least I'm trying to give all points of view a proper consideration. If even in a thread like this, ideas to help things run more smoothly are not welcome, then where? ...This community never ceases to amaze me.

Also the idea of reviews or ratings to be used to "destroy" games is a dire one, even if that's just a bad choice of words. No game "deserves" that. And the idea that we shouldn't strive towards a fairer system is also weird to me; what is this the law of the jungle? ...I want for ratings to thrive because I sincerely think it will benefit us. I'd like for reviews to thrive too but that is a more ambitious goal. Let's face it, we can't even get rid of one-line blogs, how can we hope for more and better reviews?

author=meisam
Simply this idea either cover a lot of things (witch is still not a complete list) or cover nothing, Judging a game based on 4 or 5 factor is wrong, if you make a big list, no one will participate.

Not "a lot" of things. "Important" things. I don't expect for the questionnaire to have more than 25 items, maybe? some of which may not be applicable depending on the game. That's not much, is it? ...If people still don't rate games this way, that would prove they don't care enough about it. At that point we may as well get rid of them or dumb them down to 'thumbs ups' or 'likes'. xP

author=meisam
now if there was a system that let the people vote on a review and most people agree with 4 scores and disagree with 0.5 score 4*2, 4*2, 1*0.5= 3.6.

Rating reviews is something that has been suggested in the past too. I guess it could work. Notice that in this way you're also giving the general user-base the power of affecting game scores without writing a review. That's good, but you still depend on several people reviewing a game first. And getting rid of the middle man creates a "context" problem... Is there no middle ground?
meisam
the current score system is not under crisis, but its not perfect either. As I said before the current star system is more suited for a very big community, where no one can destroy the "score" of a game intentionally. I saw indication of this behavior for some games. As the community grows, this behavior will increase in number and intensity, at one point it become a score war, after the community get even bigger (if community get bigger after this stage) the two side will become minority and have lesser effect.
but currently this problem is almost non existent. anyway giving too much power to any individual, is dangerous and should be balanced or removed.
Okay when I do this...

I only get this, when pressing the locker. But usually, for the locker, I'm wanting to show one of my programs, not a picture. So, I have to open a new tab or window, go into locker, click on link, go back to the original page and paste it over.

It'd be nice if there was a second page with stuff other than pictures.
This may already have been suggested, but the ability to subscribe to people? That is to say whenever a certain developer releases something younget notified aout it!
An "Action RPG" tag in the Filter Options of the Games page.
Voting polls in blogs!
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Voting polls in blogs!

I worked on this a bit but couldn't get it to work right so I scrapped it. I'll come back to it though. I want you to be able to attach a poll to just about anything.
We'll be cheering for you Ankylo ;v;
Didn't read this whole topic...

Did anyone mention something like... tagging outdated reviews as outdated? Not remove them, but just mark which version they apply to?

I'm for the 'Like' thing, too. Only for games with downloads. Shouldn't be able to 'Like' vaporware and therefore be different from subscribing. Also, maybe some people won't have a reason subscribe to completed games, but they can give a quick thumbs up without having to write a review or generate a controversial star rating.

I also like subscribe to dev as a new feature - for whenever dev submits game/review/article, etc.
Havent read everyones ideas, so if these have been mentioned ignore them but

Add friends list. See whos online and allow you to click their name to send messages to multiple friends.
Allow people to set and change quotes under their image.
Game makers should be able to hide or delete posts on their page.
Allow people to set and change quotes under their image.

You just have to donate to unlock this feature.
...Or bribe Kentona with something. ^^
Greetings from deployment. The Middle East is really hot, guys.

Anyway, have any of you considered making the game rating system reminiscient of how magazines and other journalistic places do it?