RMN V4.5 (AND BEYOND) FEATURE IDEA LIST

author=Link_2112
You're getting double notices for RPG 20XX because you are subscribed to it and also listed as a tester.
Is that a bug or is that the way it will be?

This is the way it's always been, from what I understand.
Hm... could we get another tag for games? Classic. Ideally it'd block a game from misao participation (since old games that were made aeons ago really shouldn't be allowed to re-participate unless some work has gone into them). Just so people can easily find the classic games.

(I figure the null participation flag would discourage people from trying to make out that their game is a classic. ;p
Or make it so only mods can flag it as such?)

^.^; I know, I ask a lot. I'm sorry. orz
author=Liberty
Hm... could we get another tag for games? Classic. Ideally it'd block a game from misao participation (since old games that were made aeons ago really shouldn't be allowed to re-participate unless some work has gone into them). Just so people can easily find the classic games.

(I figure the null participation flag would discourage people from trying to make out that their game is a classic. ;p
Or make it so only mods can flag it as such?)

^.^; I know, I ask a lot. I'm sorry. orz

I was working on a "vault" section that would allow users to upload classic games without needing to create game pages. I kinda stopped working on it. Perhaps I'll finish it up here soon.
I think the Almighty Lord Aremen has got that already covered... he's already started the upload of classics. ^.^

Although if it could have game page compatibility that would be pretty awesome. :D
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
RMN Game Score/Playerscore (API for in-game achievements and such)

For this I think you'll need to also develop RGSS (for all RGSS versions) scripts and DynRPG plugin for 2k3 if you expect people to actually use it in their games.
author=Rave
For this I think you'll need to also develop RGSS (for all RGSS versions) scripts and DynRPG plugin for 2k3 if you expect people to actually use it in their games.

Damn, I was hoping the RGSS gnomes were going to do that for me...
author=ankylo
author=Rave
Damn, I was hoping the RGSS gnomes were going to do that for me...

If there was an API to work with, I'm sure we could whip something up for RGSSX. I don't know enough about DynRPG to work it with 2k3, but not every game needs to have achievements. Then again, there'd also have to be some sort of process for determining whether or not games meet requirements for achievements so you don't just have someone front loading easy achievements into their games to booster player score.

Hmm... now I'm interested in it.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=Travio
so you don't just have someone front loading easy achievements into their games to booster player score.

I'd imagine author of game wouldn't be able to get achievements/boost player score from his/her own games.
author=Rave
author=Travio
so you don't just have someone front loading easy achievements into their games to booster player score.
I'd imagine author of game wouldn't be able to get achievements/boost player score from his/her own games.

Make a second account, upload games with it, play on your main account. It's why I say any achievement method would have to be controlled as much as games being put up in the first place, if not more.
Yeah, but then they either don't get credit for the achievements or games on the other account. If they do, they'd be banned anyway for making a fake account.
You might want to drop a line to Fomar and/or Indra about that if you're serious about in-game, online achievements. They've already got that happening in their games already, though it's not by RMN, it is on their own site... It works well, too, from what I've seen, with almost instantaneous updating both in and out of games.
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
It would be nice to be able to check a box to apply/remove daylight savings time to our localtime instead of having to manually raise and lower the offset from GMT to account for it. E.G. my EST offset is -5 from GMT, while my EDT offset is -4. Essentially, checking the DST box would allow the original offset value to be retained, but either have the computer treat it as if it were one step "closer" or force it to be displayed as such. For example, 2:45 PM would display as 3:45 PM.
What is DST? (As long as your admin lives in Saskatchewan, DST functionality is likely never changing on RMN)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Down with Kentona! Overthrow the saskatchewan regime! DST will reign again!
I would like to suggest another add-on in Utility/Scripts submissions. Sometimes there are programs that will work on both RMXP, RMVX and sometimes even VXAce too. Is there a chance to add a tag that will say it's for Multiple Engines?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
After reading over old threads concerning the quality of the site and the nature of the Featured Game front page doodad, I'd like to recommend some of these changes.

1. Raise the standards of games that will be granted game pages in the future and perhaps deny games that already have pages that show promise that the user might still be willing to improve their game and resubmit it. There would be an exception for games created/updated a certain number of years ago that don't necessarily meet the new standard and games that the developer is known to now be deceased (such as Final Fantasy Dreams and Legend of Vanadia).
• In terms of screenshots (being the only thing that can be judged of a game's quality from a distance), this applies more strongly to games that make use of RTP/Mac&Blu/rips as fellow community members will likely have a good idea of how these graphics are meant to be used. The use of custom graphics should be encouraged and granted leniency in this regard.
2. Create a sub-forum focused on beginners who want to see what they can do to make a game worthy of being granted a game page. In this forum, make a stickied thread that shows off quickly made example maps by some of the more talented individuals of the community to serve as a sort of standard for quality that will be sought in the screenshots of any future game page.
• Posting of veteran members in this sub-forum should be encouraged only to those who are willing to give solid and constructive critique with the intended purpose of promoting development and growth.
3. In this sub-forum, allow people to post threads about their games such as was the tradition of GamingW (limit to one thread per user). Of course, the intended title of the threads would be like "Off Any Beaten Path -RMXP/Demo-".
^Disagree on most of those.

That said, could we pretty, pretty please have something - anything! - done to link text to make it stand out a little more? A bold or underline or different (lighter) colour? Because as it stands, the navy blends in with the black so much, it's hard to tell a link is there unless you hover over the text.
I'd be interested to hear more about this "rmblr" initiative personally.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Motion to create a tag for RTP-inclusive and RTP-exclusive downloads.
Posts in user statuses are currently exempt from "receive notifications for threads I have posted in" - Sometimes genuinely interesting discussions pop up in statuses and considering they are just disembodied threads anyway - I think they should be included in that functionality.