Yes
18%
No
10%
If I ever made a commercial game, I would
51%
I will never make a commercial game
11%
I'd sell other things (musicpacks, tilesets, etc..)
3%
I like turtles (I will post a comment below)
4%

Pages: first 1234 next last
If RMN were to incorporate a third-party e-commerce shop to sell RPG games (made in RPG Maker or other legally obtainable engines) (or other kinds of games made by members of our community, but primarily RPGs), would you sell your commercial game on it?

Like I mentioned before, RMN would never directly host an e-commerce system - I don't have the lawyers, support staff, merchant services or any of the other half-dozen things to run a successful e-commerce site. But I could incorporate a third-party store to do that.

To my (limited) knowledge, there aren't that many places willing to sell RPG Maker games (Amaranth games maybe? But they are more about their own games than general RM games).

Anywho, this is all hypothetical right now. I just want some feedback on this idea.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Sure, I'd be down for that. I'd probably use Unity, but totally.
I would. Totally :D
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
If I had a game to sell, I wouldn't mind it.
EDIT: Totally.
If I made a commercial RPG I would sell it on RMN, though I'd almost certainly sell it on other sites as well. My strategy would probably be to do something similar to Cave Story or La Mulana and simply release a freeware RPG and if it proves popular or at least well-received I would focus on a commercial re-release with a few tweaks, some aesthetic improvements (ex: paying an artist and/or musician for custom graphics/music) and probably a bit of bonus content.

I tend to like this model a lot since it means the original game is still out there for people to pick up for free and play and fans have the option of showing support by paying for an overhauled commercial version. Also, it's great from a development perspective since it means you have the chance to gauge reactions and take criticism into account before asking people to pay for something and you're putting money into a product which people already have expressed approval of via the original version so there's less risk of putting hundreds/thousands of dollars into a complete flop.

Realistically though, I'd be very surprised at myself if I ever made a product which I considered commercial-quality, though I certainly want to.
I would sell it in a box

I would sell it to a fox

I would sell it in a chair

I would sell it anywhere

e: just don't limit it to degica-owned engines a la rmw, that'd be lame
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Absolutely. How would you see this working out? Would it be set up like the store is now?
author=Sailerius
Absolutely. How would you see this working out? Would it be set up like the store is now?
No, it would actually be good. And I haven't really worked out any details. This is all just hypothetical at the moment.
I guess we all love RMN and would use it for anything we'd want to sell/advertise if given the choice.
I think the poll will show a majority of "If I ever" and it would help if we knew how likely we all are to ever make commercial games.
In my case, not very much.
Eh, I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd still prefer if whoever we partnered up with upheld some semblance of quality for their games. Aren't most games at Amaranth just "My RTP adventure 1, 2, and 3"? Part of the benefit of allowing commercial games on rmn was that we could hold them to a better standard than free games. So we could comment, review, etc. Without that... I don't know. I guess whatever money comes our way is good enough incentive. xP
Only one person likes turtles? For shame, for shame.
author=alterego
Eh, I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd still prefer if whoever we partnered up with upheld some semblance of quality for their games. Aren't most games at Amaranth just "My RTP adventure 1, 2, and 3"? Part of the benefit of allowing commercial games on rmn was that we could hold them to a better standard than free games. So we could comment, review, etc. Without that... I don't know. I guess whatever money comes our way is good enough incentive. xP

a marketplace isn't a publishing partnership. Amaranth publishes games, which includes advertising and so on (as well as a significant cut of the profits for Ms. Fitch and co.) -- this would just be a place to handle the actual transaction if I'm reading this right.

which means that having terrible games in with your game wouldn't really bring yours down by association. so don't worry about it. there are bad games and good games hosted on the site right now and people seem to be getting by fine without any kind of draconian culling policy

(besides, rm kids have crazy ideas on what "quality" means and I'd rather not throw myself on the mercy of that particular fractalfuck)
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
If i was good enough I would.
I would, but it would probably have to work like the green light system steam uses to dissuade the flood of people trying to sell crappy games. Otherwise it wouldn't really matter if you could sell your game when people see a sea of crap surrounding it.

And I'm a turtle fan.

greenlight's system doesn't work, is the only problem. we don't need to make things a popularity contest, because all that'll accomplish is determining that only the shitty games with insane fanbases make it through.

screening isn't important. it's a shop, not a publishing company. if you attempt to screen things in some awkward manner you'll have:

1. a lot of pointless arguments brought on by trying to apply a subjective thing in an objective way

2. almost nothing to sell

compare it to the system the site uses for game pages. arbitrary standards of quality are not enforced -- but we do enforce much more easily-recognized and easily-explained standards of clarity and presentation. this works fine, imo. think of our page system as a test run.

honestly, I think a good way to execute this would be to integrate it with the project page system as closely as possible. keep a separate store page for resources and things like that.
what's the difference between answering 'yes' and 'if i ever make commercial, yes'

i will guess why, but i just want to hear your original thought kenton.

if you already made a game that uses resources that allow you to charge money, how is that different from making a commercial game? that's my guess: a game you already made vs. a game you will make in the future. in which case, i don't see a need for 2 yes's :P

i answered yes, cause hellz yeah i would. i was thinking about selling my newest game. i am drawing everything from scratch and it's a game about music so i'm recording sounds on my bass and guitar and will record some (amateur) drumming. anything i need from someone else will be royalty-free(or paid for) and credited. my motivation for free game making has dwindled to critical levels. if i knew i was going to make money from it...
I'm not the most likely to make a commercial game, but if I did I would definitely sell it on RMN.
Pages: first 1234 next last