[DYNRPG PLUG-IN] PROVOKE SKILL

Pages: 1
Provoke Skill

I noticed this was requested here and couldn't help myself, as I needed the practice with battler-related commands.

This plugin adds the ability for a "Provoke" skill. What it does is tracks the hero who cast it, and tells the enemy target to attack that hero as long as the "Provoke" condition on them lasts. It also supports multiple hero/monster scenarios, so potentially, all of your party members can Provoke different enemies, and the monsters will stick to their corresponding attackers. Additionally, if 2 different heros Provoke the same monster, the monster will attack the last hero to Provoke them.

Download!
(source included)

Installation

To install the plugin, make sure that you have patched your project with cherry's DynRPG patch which can be found here: http://cherrytree.at/dynrpg

1. Copy the "battle_skill_provoke.dll"into the DynPlugins folder of your own project.

2. Add the following (between the asterisks) to your DynRPG.ini:

[battle_skill_provoke]
SkillId=10
ConditionId=10
StartingVar=401

3. This plugin uses a maximum of 8 variables, depending on how many enemies you use in your battles.
This sequence of vars starts on the "StartingVar" Id. (Example: 401-408)

4. Change the SkillID to your Provoke Skill (100% success is recommended, but do as you wish)

5. Change the Condition ID to your Provoke Condition

Instructions

This plugin is pretty much plug and play, so just load your game, then open the menu! Voila!
Question then: If you have more than one character use the Provoke skill, will it target the last one to use it, or just those characters?

I do appreciate this plugin though! This will make things so much funner to do for characters! I might give this as a normal skill for a couple characters, or as a secondary command for them (will it work if it's a secondary command at all? Like, does it HAVE to be an actual Skill from the Skill database, or can it work via Battle Commands?). And since you managed to do this, is it possible for a Cover system at all? I'm assuming that's a lot harder than this but...

Not sure if there's any bugs with this or not yet, as I haven't tested it, but will give it a try later! As well as your Game Clock thingie~ ^^
author=Xenomic
Question then: If you have more than one character use the Provoke skill, will it target the last one to use it, or just those characters?

Try it. :)

That was my number 1 concern aside from getting it to work. It's definitely been taken into account. The issue is, the plugin needs to store the provoker's identifier in a variable, so it can reference back to it, so you'll need 8 variables total. See number 3 under installation.
One question I had was, are people still submitting their DynRPG plugins to the site (so that threads like these don't get buried and lost)?
This sounds cool and I would love to try it in my game!
wow this is p neat. i have tried making provoke skills in the past, but it's always been a huge headache working with 2k3. can't thank you enough for this :)

2013... the rm2k3 revolution begins now! \o/
author=kentona
One question I had was, are people still submitting their DynRPG plugins to the site (so that threads like these don't get buried and lost)?

Whoops. Forgot about that. Doing so now!
Do so retroactively, including all the stuff you've done recently. (Playtime Clock, Save Detector, and what were some of the others?)

And yea, I do that too.

I couldn't tell if it was working. Could you make a demo?
Ok, so I just tried this and...well...it doesn't work or something. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's something I did in the DynRPG.ini file?

SkillId=2640
ConditionId=428
StartingVar=4990

That's what I put in...does the ConditionID need to be "0428" instead"? Because I had my monster using Attack and Flare, and when it used Flare as its first action (I already had a character use Provoke), it didn't hit that character. The skill is set to "Self" and inflicts the "Provoke" condition so...unless I'm doing something wrong...unless this is meant more for a battle command or something? I don't know. @_@;
author=Xenomic
Ok, so I just tried this and...well...it doesn't work or something. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's something I did in the DynRPG.ini file?

SkillId=2640
ConditionId=428
StartingVar=4990

That's what I put in...does the ConditionID need to be "0428" instead"? Because I had my monster using Attack and Flare, and when it used Flare as its first action (I already had a character use Provoke), it didn't hit that character. The skill is set to "Self" and inflicts the "Provoke" condition so...unless I'm doing something wrong...unless this is meant more for a battle command or something? I don't know. @_@;

The skill needs to be set to Single Target. Gotta target the monster you wanna Provoke, not Provoke yourself to have people target you.
Oh, so I see. For some reason I was thinking it had to be set to yourself...silly me! @_@;
Xenomic you have 420+ conditions? (Wouldn't put it past you give the feature creep of your game).

Does this wear off when the character dies?

Also when you say eight variables total, I have 401-408 open, but do I have to make extra stuff on the plugin database (i.e. SecondVar = 402, ThirdVar = 403), or is it just the starting variable, and it does the rest?
bulma: Just the starting variable needs to be defined. the Plugin takes care of the rest.

trance2: yeah, the skill has to target an enemy, andinflict the condition so that you see clearly in battle which enemy is provoked.
Was just helping Xenomic, but thank you for clarifying it as well. ^^
Yeah, the skill will target the person who used it if they're killed and revived before the condition wears off. It does work though as it says on the tin!
Whoops, meant to say Xenomic. I logged in this morning to like 9 notices, and was replying to 2 different threads at once. :)
Very crucial, fill in the DynRPG (sometimes not filling it in will just make the plugin skip the process). This is what caused my runtime error.
Yeah you always want to make sure to edit the DynRPG.ini if it's in the readme.
Bah, nvm. Delete this post. I now have four posts in a row.

This cannot be.
Pages: 1