FOG + OVERLAY PROBLEM

Pages: 1
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn

I am trying out parallax mapping for the first time, and everything has been going smoothly so far, but when I went to add a fog using Victor's Fog Overlay script for Ace, I came across a problem that is illustrated in the screenshot above. You can see that the fog doesn't cover the overlay(in this case, the trees), and it is bothering me; I am not sure if having the fog only rise halfway up the tree is a good decision.

The script has two possible settings that I believe could fix my problem, but through various settings, my problem isn't solved.

the "id" setting reminds me of the picture number, so I played around with that thinking that setting it to lower numbers would change it's priority over the overlay.

the "depth" setting i supposed to manage the image's z axis (which i don't understand why there is one, considering the engine is in two dimensions), but playing with negative numbers and lower or higher settings still doesn't solve the problem.

Any help with the script, alternative solutions, or common sense would be greatly appreciated.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
The reason images have a Z axis is because even though the engine is 2D things are still shown above/below each other based on their Z coordinate.

I haven't used Victor's fog script myself but I'll take a look later if I have time and see if I can help.
Adon237
author=Trihan
The reason images have a Z axis is because even though the engine is 2D things are still shown above/below each other based on their Z coordinate.

I haven't used Victor's fog script myself but I'll take a look later if I have time and see if I can help.

Thanks for that information. So the picture id functions like the Z axis, except on a smaller scale?
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
I believe so; Sprite_Picture's update_position method sets the sprite's Z coordinate to its picture number, so the higher the number the higher the picture will appear on the screen.
By the way, that's an interesting effect. Low fog won't reach the tops of trees.
Adon237
author=Zachary_Braun
By the way, that's an interesting effect. Low fog won't reach the tops of trees.

Yes, actually, I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't such an awkward transition from fog to no fog. :(
Pages: 1