PEPSIOTAKU'S DYNRPG PLUGIN EMPORIUM!

author=PepsiOtaku
What did you do?

I used Lunar IPS to patch it to a file with DynRPG. And...

So, yea. (It told me something about how RTP recovered from an error)
Aha! I've built a super solid turn-based system with that Advanced Faster ATB2 plugin and some switches + variables. I've been testing it in a 2vs4 and 3vs4 setting, and haven't run into problems after finetuning it. It has no problem dealing with immobilised or dead party members, it handles regen/degen statuses perfectly and I haven't run into any skill interrupting after my final fixes.

edit of the edit of the edit: Finally found a way to fix skill interrupts.

I'll do some more testing with it, using different monster and hero party sizes, and some more skill variety. But so far it's been working perfectly where other systems have failed before.

If anyone's interested I can explain the details of my system using the plugin in a PM (to avoid de-railing this thread).
It's a DynRPG Emporium, it's about the plugins. That's kinda the point of the thread.

Since there is no Millenin's thread of plugins. Also, seriously, how'd you manage to get 666 m? That's like, evil. Submit something!

Try using 0 instead of negative values. In all likelihood, it's hardcoded to reject such things. Just hold the other at zero, until conditions change and it's at the other turn.

Remember, you wanna do it like this.

• You somehow prevent party members from taking their turn while monsters are fighting.
  • Sorta a seesaw effect, using the two values.
  • Make sure this works with status like poison, only doing drains when monsters are actively doing stuff. Sounds like it does so far.
  • Maybe some customization using switches.
  • Without crashing everything.

We might as well see this.
author=Milennin
Aha! I've built a super solid turn-based system with that Advanced Faster ATB2 plugin and some switches + variables. I've been testing it in a 2vs4 and 3vs4 setting, and haven't run into problems after finetuning it. It has no problem dealing with immobilised or dead party members, it handles regen/degen statuses perfectly and I haven't run into any skill interrupting after my final fixes.

edit of the edit of the edit: Finally found a way to fix skill interrupts.

I'll do some more testing with it, using different monster and hero party sizes, and some more skill variety. But so far it's been working perfectly where other systems have failed before.

If anyone's interested I can explain the details of my system using the plugin in a PM (to avoid de-railing this thread).

You should make a template and submit it as a tutorial or utility! Easy makerscore!

I'm actually really curious about how you fixed skill interrupts though...
Or both.

If you actually managed this, maybe you could also fix how Do Nothing works (I can't use this particular one because of heavy customization).

Edging closer to Skie's perfect turn system...
@Milennin: "Skill interrupts" - what do you mean?
author=PepsiOtaku
You should make a template and submit it as a tutorial or utility! Easy makerscore!

I'll do that. Should have it up later today or tomorrow then.

author=Cherry
@Milennin: "Skill interrupts" - what do you mean?

When a player casts a skill, but a monster is able to move at the same time, it cancels the player's skill while wasting the turn.
I don't know if this is the fault of 2k3 (I'm thinking it is) or not, but there are times where whenever I use an action with characters, they will not take their action until ALL party members have inputted an action (this includes all monsters), and then after the last party member puts in their action, everything fires off at once. I've had this happen with my Bardsong command a few times, and I'm not sure if there's anything to do about that. It doesn't really waste any turns (like say a player just chooses an action with a character, that character dies before using their action, then reviving them and there's a possibility that their ATB bar will not move at all until some random time later). Any ideas?
update: I've been testing different things with the system all day now, but there's some issues (which might be able to get fixed).
-Skill interrupt still often seems to happen on the player's first turn. It almost always happens if both Heroes cast a spell on themselves (the 2nd Hero's skill gets cancelled). It'll even pause the game to wait for the monster action bars to fill if they weren't full yet to cancel the last hero's skill. I doubt this would be fixable if the plugin gets upgraded to allow for individual action bar speeds; seems to be more a problem with RM2K3 itself?
Video of skill interrupt:

-An immobilised hero recovering on the turn of the last hero's move allows the recovered hero to move during enemy turn, messing up the whole system (this should be able to get fixed if the plugin gets upgraded to allow for individual action bar speeds).

Not so much an issue, but more of a limitation:
-You can't immobilise a hero if it's the only character in the party or able to fight (if rest of party is dead or immobilised). Means that AoE immobilising skills should not be used anywhere. I doubt that there'd be a way around this even if the plugin gets upgraded to allow for individual action bar speeds (but maybe...)

But yeah, I think I'd need the upgrade of the plugin to finalise the system to deal with recovering from immobilising conditions.

On a positive note, I haven't had a single issue with regen/degen statuses using this system, dead/dying party members don't seem to be a problem in my current system, and there are no annoying flashing enemies either.
I finally managed to build the turn-based system that I attempted a few days ago. I've put to it all the tests that previous versions have failed on, and I'll admit it's still not 100% perfect (it never will be anyway), but it's close enough. The only times I've seen it mess up is if you have enemies spamming a ton of immobilises on your characters, but it does fine if you keep it to a reasonable level. It will give you a Game Over if you have immobilise on all of your character. I tried to build a way around it, but only semi-succeeded at it, mostly because there is just no way of running an event check right after an enemy made its move, and before the start of the next turn.
Anyway, the best way around it is just to not have a whole bunch of stun-spamming monsters in your battles, and you should be fine.

I've yet to see it fail in the other scenarios, I can safely say this thing is finally ready for a release. I've submitted the file under Utility / Plugin (yes, also crediting PepsiOtaku for creating the plugin).
Here's a video of 2 short battles using the system in my test game (1st battle is simple attack spam, 2nd battle is using a variety of different skills):

Next I'll have to copy the whole thing over to my real game project, which is going to be a pain...
Immobilize on all gives game over anyway. Don't sweat it.

So long as it doesn't freeze or crash, well, lemme look at the video.

3 monsters attack, 4 party members attack, then they switch.

I'm not seeing the problem. It's way better than most of my C++ coding.

I didn't look carefully, but the poison seemed to work normally too.

The only things would be testing with something like sleep (i.e. something that stopped the party but recovered after a few turns, making it skip to the next party member that could act), and making a customizer variable (if zero, normal turn shift, if 1 heroes' turn, if 2 monster turns) so you could make stuff like CTB. But the process looks great.
Yeah, in the utility I submitted I included all my test battles:
vs. enemies using normal attacks only
vs. enemies using poison attacks only
vs. enemies using regen health skills only
vs. enemies using stun attacks only
vs. enemies using a combination of all those skills

I made a video that shows a battle vs. the group of enemies spamming stun attacks.
In the system I have a common event that plays every turn, and randomly sets a variable value which has a chance to cure a condition on a character. If the character recovers on the moment the last hero that turn makes his move, the system will recognise that and give the recovered hero a chance to attack before moving over to the enemy turn. If no hero recovered when the last hero moved, it'll place a stun (I call it GameStun in my version, it's a visible condition in my test game and this video to show how it's working, but normally you wouldn't have it show up) on all immobilised heroes, and remove that at the beginning of the next player turn to prevent a recovered hero from moving during the enemy turn.
Immobilised enemies only get a chance to recover from an immobilise at the end of the player turn. Just set the chances to whatever you want to give to the monsters. Also, I've tried to make a way for monsters to detect when there's only 1 active hero left, and then make them use a version of the skill that doesn't inflict a stun condition (enable stun and disable stun skills in my test game, but it doesn't show in this video), but it doesn't really work, because there is no way for the monsters to change their skills in the middle of their turn. Their skill change can only activate on the Player turn, rendering it somewhat (but not completely) useless.

One thing I want to fine-tune a little more is the hero action bar recovery rate, in the video it shows up recovering a little too early at some times. I'll get that fixed in an updated version.

The system takes quite a lot of work to set up, though, and I'd strongly advice on creating template battles in your game for every possible size of monster group.
edit: The version I submitted is a bit messy, with some unnecessary double checks on certain events and dead switches and variables from previous failed tests. I'll re-upload the game file with a more efficient and cleaned up version when it gets accepted; it'll also include much better hero action bar recovery speeds that completely prevents turn overlapping.

Oh, by the way. I remember in your system you had to manually input how many monsters there were at the begin of a battle. I found a way to make the game find it out for you. When a battle starts, it runs a check through every battle event page. So, if you add a +1 variable to a monster count on every (Monster #, Turn 1x) page, and then disable the variable counting at the beginning of the first real turn, you'll have your monster group number without having to set it manually.=P
Wait, what? Show, don't tell (PM me a screen shot with code), I'm a visual person. I solve problems by mapping them out either on paper or in my head, so hearing about code secondhand sometimes gives me a headache.

I still don't understand the code you talked about in my review that apparently disables my menu cancel glitch. I vaguely understand this one, but without the ability to see it, my brain sort of cramps up trying to visualize the code.

Wait, you mean, making a page for each monster, adding a variable, and blocking it off with a switch? Because yes, that would work, but two things.

I don't have a Monster #, Turn 1x page. Just a Turn 1x page that uses the monster # as a variable. Also, if you're saying what I think you are, it requires a page for each monster, a variable that counts upward, and 8 switches I didn't actually need simply by inputting manually. Nah, not unless you mean something different from what I'm visualizing. There's also the fact I have blank/dummy monsters, or monsters that could potentially take two turns. Since figuring it out manually takes only one variable, and one line of code, it's the quickest and best option.

I am interested in knowing though how to solve the menu cancel glitch, drop me a PM, since I really didn't understand that one.
New post, mainly because I've a new comment.

I wanna have battle effects show that an element is ineffective due to having 0% element (that is, it either always switches to Miss or says "Immune"), versus the enemy having higher defense than your stats (reduced to 0). These especially would help vs things like ghosts, where dark damage (along with physical damage, but well that's physical) is ineffective. You wouldn't have people assuming they're underlevel, but would be like "Oh. I need to use different magic."

Is there a way to tweak the battle mp popup mechanism to account for something like this? You'd probably want a new plugin rather than battle mp, though.
I don't think that's possible yet because you can't check for specific attributes.
hi guys whazzup.

i came up with another idea for a possible BS related plugin (if anyone is intresrted) and that's a plugin who changes Status priority attribution. Like you probably know, when afflicted by multiple statuses the one with higher priority overrides those with lower priority. my idea is a plugin who makes it so that you can have one status for each priority number, that would allow us to group statuses in "families" (for example i may want to put together status that go on the battler's dexterity - haste duble dexterity and of course slow half dexterity - so you can only have one of them, but you can still have another status that targets your hp (poison or regene, for istance). of course you can normally do that by giving each status the same priority but in that case you may end up having both haste and slow at the same time *lol*

is something like that possible?
author=PepsiOtaku
I don't think that's possible yet because you can't check for specific attributes.

What I did instead was basically hard code a bunch of lines of code for monster attacks.

Could someone make a simulated attack plugin? Sort of, attack is @comment Accuracy, min damage, max damage, status avoid. Where basically, if you have the following status, say 28 (shield), the attack says some custom line and you take no damage.
bulma: I am not going to make any more of your plugin requests. If you have enough knowledge to recompile source code, why aren't you taking the time to learn c++ and making plugins?
It has something to do with C++ working properly on paper, and even compiling, and utterly failing at the process asked to do for no reason I can perceive.

Line of Sight (range code I made, it either accepts nothing, or everything).

Battle Item ID
(It was supposed to work on skills too. It was programmed to work on skills too. It had absolutely no effect on skills, just on items. So I took out the skills code and made it items only)

(There's a third one, but I can't remember what)

Lately, I've gotten enough skill to get C++ code to compile. But the code itself doesn't work and I can't understand why. So, sure, I can do source code. It also takes thousands of lines what a well-coded C++ thing can probably spit out with one or two lines of rpgmaker code.

So yea, I will continue making such requests. I haven't the sense of logic enough to know what is wrong with the code (partly because rpgmaker has better internal logic coding), and it makes me angry and frustrated. Unless it works as intended, I generally don't like coding C++. I'm not even a computer science major, I took one class 15 years ago, and have only basic level proficiency. Most of the other C++ coders are, so why are they always "too busy"?

On that note, did you ever figure out what was wrong with that skill ID code?
If you have general requests, put them in the regular DynRPG thread then, because I'm tired of your posts cluttering up this one. The only way you will learn C++ is by continuously coding and experimenting.

What skill ID code are you referring to? I have a hard time keeping track of your posts.