VX ACE - MAKING FOLLOWERS "THROUGH" OR FIXING ENEMY SIGHT SCRIPT

Pages: 1
Ok, I've run into a problem with my VX ace game (basically an update to my Contest entry to make it better).

I've got patrolling enemies that engage you in battle if they bump into you.

This works fine for most of my dungeons.

However, I have one where the enemies have a line of sight script ( this one) and are supposed to chase and fight you if you are seen.

The problem is that if you have Followers on (which I do, and I want to keep them on), you can REALLY easily block them and avoid the combat entirely since they can't touch the main character. And it looks silly that the enemy can't attack you and is running around looking silly.

I've tried making the enemy "through", but then the "event touch" trigger doesn't ever go off.

So I have 3 possible solutions that might work, and I don't know how to do them.
idea 1) make my followers be "through" for map events so that the enemies will run THROUGH them and still attack the player. I've looked at the script section for followers and it seems that they're already set to "through", and yet other events can't go through them...
Idea 2) find a way to alter the script so that it can flip a switch if the player is seen, so that instead of chasing the player, it instead immediately triggers the battle with no chasing involved.
idea 3) make it so that an enemy touching the followers also triggers the event touch trigger.

Anyone have any ideas? I've looked at the scripts and have a rough idea of what sections I might need to work on, but I have no idea what to actually do...
I ended up finding out how to remove collision from the followers by going into

"Game objects > Followers" and then commenting out line 110. It's...kinda inelegant, but I'll deal with that unless anyone presents a more elegant solution.

Issue more or less resolved, leaving this up in case anyone else has the same question at some point.
I have a solution for you...

It's a simple, yet elegant, little snippet that makes it so that followers are also eligible for collision with "Event Touch" trigger based events.

#==============================================================================
# ■ Follower Touch [VXA]
# Author: Mesiah A.K.A. MakoInfused
# Version: N/A
# Contact: www.cetrastudios.com/
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ■ Short Description
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Makes it so that touch encounter based events will trigger when they
# collide with players or followers.
#===============================================================================

# ** Game_Event

class Game_Event < Game_Character

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # overwrite method: check_event_trigger_touch
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def check_event_trigger_touch(x, y)
    return if $game_map.interpreter.running?
    if @trigger == 2 && collide_with_player_characters?(x, y)
      start if !jumping? && normal_priority?
    end
  end

end
thanks. I'll see about implementing this tommorrow as soon as I get home. :)
Thanks for the code, Makoinfused.

After some experimenting, I think I'll use the non-solid followers this game. My maps (and thus my enemy patrol routes) are kinda small and wind around a lot and use a lot of tight corners. This makes it nearly impossible to avoid enemies if the enemies collide with the followers...

So I'll skip it for now, but in my next game I'll definitely use this code. Thanks for that. :)
Yep, no problem-- it wasn't a big deal to script it. Hopefully it will find it's use!

I trust that in your game the enemy can still "see" the followers, right? Otherwise, it will be really strange when an enemy ignores followers, but chases you lol.

Good luck with your game/s!
author=MakoInfused
Yep, no problem-- it wasn't a big deal to script it. Hopefully it will find it's use!

I trust that in your game the enemy can still "see" the followers, right? Otherwise, it will be really strange when an enemy ignores followers, but chases you lol.

Good luck with your game/s!

Eh, they can't see the followers, sadly. It's kinda funny to see a patrolling guard walk right THROUGH one of your party members...but eh, I'll allow it this time, just because I don't want to have to remake my final dungeon.

Basically, the game is already done and uploaded (has been for about 3-4 months now), but now that the contest I made it for is over and I now have the full version of VX ace, I'm going back over it and improving the living !@#$ out of it. I'm a lot happier now that I've gotten rid of all the random encounters. ^_^

So yeah, given that the game is already made and done, I don't want to re-map the final dungeon (where I use the line of sight script). I've got enough to fix/upgrade as it is. x_x Been spending my 2-3 hours of free time I have each weekday (for the past 3-4 weeks) working on it already. Finally, the end is in sight, though.

Am definitely gonna use your script in my next game though. And I'll be able to design my dungeons accordingly from the get-go.
LOL, yeah-- you can just blame it on the stupidity of the guards.

Random encounters are "boo" if left "unconditional" as they are by default. I know what you mean, I spend nearly all of my free time using RM.

Yeah redoing the whole thing might be a pain depending on the dungeon.

Great to hear(read) that the little scriptlet will find a home!
Pages: 1