[POLL] HOW MUCH “PLANNING” OR “PREPPING” DO YOU DO BEFORE STARTING YOUR GAME(S)?

Poll

Be Honest! God Is Watching! - Results

I plan the WHOLE thing (graphics, sprites, tilesets, etc.) before even touching anything.
12%
I plan enough to know what I’m doing before starting.
48%
I just prep a few things for about a day or two and get right to work!
13%
I just do things as I roll along and worry about all that other stuff later.
17%
Planning???
7%

Pages: first 12345 next last
So…I haven’t made a “real topic” about general game design – or anything – for a loonnnnngggg time! So – why not make one now? And here’s a good one:

“Planning” and “Prepping”. For some of us, we like to make sure we’re fully prepared before going down for the long haul. And for others, some people just like going with the flow and worry about all that other stuff later. Whatever’s your style, let it be known here!

I usually like planning a game for about a month or two before even starting to touch the editor. I always make sure I finish the title page, gather whatever music I need, write down most of the story / dialogue the characters will say to each other and decide what gameplay traits the game will have before DOING anything. Sure, at times, I wish I could just start the bloody thing. But then I always find myself back-tracking during the game’s development and spend an extra week or two fixing something that could have been avoided if I just planned everything through.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I think I'm somewhere in between the first and second choice. I prepare the stuff I care the most about in great detail, but leave the stuff that I don't give a crap about for the spur of the moment, which includes 100% of graphics and music except for a general plan of "this should be a 2D overhead game" and "I think rock music might fit this game well".

However, a second extended planning session once I've spent a few months on development and got a playable product is inevitable. This session tends to work out a lot of the details about things I didn't bother with in the initial planing. But it also has a tendency to change major aspects of the game based on my feelings of what is working so far and what isn't.

And then, that thing about changing things that I feel don't work? Sometimes relatively major things like how armor works, or whether a certain character uses MP, or what a minor party member's entire personality is? Those changes keep happening, up to and beyond the completed game's release. I am a bad man.
meisam
meisam your not using semicolon properly, and that's a laughing matter.
This is my first project, and I really didn't had a plan, I just follow the tutorials and suddenly I decided to make a real game. lets see what will happen in the end :P
When I plan, I like to know where I'm going. I spend a good amount of time working out stuff like plot, characters and gameplay... Graphics, music and other stuff like that can be done as I go.

Having said that, I still haven't made a game yet, though I have started on one. I'll probably end up winging half of it, as is my wont.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
After 12 years of development my game pretty much still consists of nothing but planning. I think I do too much planning and not enough gam mak.
I don't plan ever, EXCEPT for the story. I go with what I think works best for what I have in mind for the story (dialogue included). Bosses and story remain the same...enemies, items, dialogue, gimmicks, etc. are never planned in advance. However, the way I handle my planning for dialogues and scenarios is to run a movie reel through my head. Best way to catch emotions and whatnot methinks~

Very VERY few things were planned, and those that were set in stone changed over time so only time will tell where my game will go from here as opposed to 5 years ago when it was a piece of crap lol.
I do a fair amount of planning. I want to have the basic outlines down for the main story, and details about some main events. I want to have an idea of the world it's going to take place in. I want some ideas for the main characters before I start.
But I always leave enough room for ideas that I come up with on the spot, when I'm making the game. If I already have planned everything I want to do, I get bored making it.
good planning goes a long way, and if done correctly will end up saving you a lot of time during the development process

having said that, i also think it's important to place your ideas down eventually and test them to see if they actually work. too much theory and not enough application will get you nowhere fast
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I tend to have a lot of game ideas (especially when working on other projects), so I usually write them all down somewhere so I have a jumping off point for new projects. I try to plan out the basics of gameplay and mood before I start making anything concrete, that way, I'm a bit more organized, I have a checklist, and I know what I'm aiming for - organization helps me stay productive.

However, I never have a solid, 100% complete plan for a game beforehand. For one, I always have great ideas and adjustments midway through and sometimes they're worth adding - working alone or in small teams, you have a lot more malleability with your ideas. Plus, coming up with ideas and just rolling with them is half the fun of game development! If the game was already 100% designed and just needed to be coded/arted, the whole process would be less interesting.
I get some basic planning done before i start, such as the skeleton of the story, characters and how I want resources to work. I do however need to start soon because I have found out that I quickly lose interest unless I actually get anywhere. Also, when I get working I always find problems I didn't predict, so too much planning can end up wasted if it turns out it cannot be put into practice.
After making a few long stories these past six years, I learned the value of planning in regards to storytelling. Good planning always allowed me to make a story that had more technical storytelling. Game making is turning out to be the same way.

Role-playing games, quintessentially story-based, benefit from this style of planning. The biggest benefit is to be able to change something for the better before underlying mechanisms become too complicated or delicate to touch. It isn't like a novel, where passages can be re-written simply by using strokes on a keyboard; Role-playing game making involves harmony between the story, graphics, music, sound, and maybe even the gameplay. A human brain isn't well-equipped to juggle all of those things on the fly.
I have been planning for 5 years and still counting so can't answer that answer yet.
Not enough planning makes messy and inconsistent games.
Too much planning prevents you from finishing and releasing games.

Good planning isn't necessarily long planning. It's more about how confident you are in your design ideas and how much of every aspect and feature you covered. There are some projects I wrote down under 2 hours and believe are excellent, others I've been working on for years, changing and tweaking stuff here and there, and there are projects I abandoned but browse through from time to time to pickup ideas that would fit well in a newer project.

Planning is the perfect time to give your ideas a second thought and make sure everything is as good as it can be, because when you begin to work on a game too soon there's a chance you might end up changing major things and having wasted your time.

That being said, good planning also takes place during the production phase. It is highly likely you will have to make adjustments, compromises and change stuff during production, so write down the necessary changes and make sure they fit well with the rest.
The way you worded the poll options make it so that there is only one viable answer.

...as evidenced by the early poll results.
haha Yeah, it seems like it's doesn't put a relative value on the amount of work one does. If someone planned the whole thing, that could be considered "enough to know what I'm doing". Since it's not likely that one can plan for the unexpected. Sometimes just thinking of the name of a game can be enough to know what you're doing.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Link_2112
Sometimes just thinking of the name of a game can be enough to know what you're doing.

When I decided to make Chancellor Yakra: Ace Attorney, that was literally all I had when I started coding. It was completely enough, too.

(unfortunately I got sick of hunting down and editing graphics quickly and abandoned the project)
Far too much, and that seems to be my downfall. Make sure too not spend too much time over-thinking the game; I've spent 2 months thinking about my story, and yet I only have the premise and basic events down for now. Depends on what kind of person you are in the end, but I've found that you can discover lots about your game by actually making it.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

On the game I'm making now I started by getting some scripts,
icons, and working on the database. But that was just some initial
things I needed to do so that the game would be easier to develop
later. I had a basis for the story and what might happen. But
as I have found programming the game I come up with ideas for the future
of the story as I play.
I guess I'm the second vote for Plan The Whole Thing.
Started with the storyline. Defined how gameplay would work. Filled out the databases. Moved into custom graphics. Assembled the music collection. Didn't start making anything playable until damn near everything else was done.
Even now I plan the next stage using MS Paint before I open map editor and start dropping tiles.
I wish I could do the top choice. But, alas, I am too impatient... I do, sometimes, try to plan it out some first.
Pages: first 12345 next last