[VX ACE] SHOW A PICTURE WHEN A SKILL IS USED?

Pages: 1
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
Any idea on how to do it? I'm trying to get something like this come in from the right of the screen, hover in the middle for a bit, and fly out to the left.

It's not needed ASAP, but I'd like to have this solved (or at least have me going in the right direction) before I get to the point where I really need it :F
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Yeah, I know how to do that.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
During a battle?

Where do I begin to accomplish such a thing?
Trihan
First I owe you an apology; I was being a wiseass when I didn't initially explain it in my first reply because you asked if anyone knew how it could be done but didn't ask anyone to tell you the method. :P

One way is to have the skill call a common event that shows the picture, but that won't show it until after the skill has been used. It sounds like you want a picture to show before the actual execution, so you'd pretty much have to hard-code it by adding an if statement in the use_item method of Scene_Battle before it calls show_animation that checks whether item is a skill, then whether its ID matches that of the one you want the picture for, and if so shows the picture on the screen (you can see how to do this by looking at the code for the Show Picture command in Game_Interpreter if you're stuck).
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
Alrighty then, thanks for the info :p

Time to roll up my sleeves and dig into some code :D

I was being a wiseass when I didn't initially explain it in my first reply because you asked if anyone knew how it could be done but didn't ask anyone to tell you the method.

Nah man, it's my fault for not being as direct as I thought I was :p
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
I've managed to get the image stuff to work (thanks to Trihan up there), but I've got one last question and I'd rather not have multiple threads under my name :p

I'm trying to set up a conditional branch here, and was wondering what the bit of code was that checks whether or not a certain skill was used... Anyone mind telling me that nifty bit of code?
Trihan
You could have the skill call a common event that turns on a switch and then set the conditional branch's criteria to that switch being on, process the code for whatever you want to happen when the skill is used, and then turn the switch back off.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Trihan
You could have the skill call a common event that turns on a switch and then set the conditional branch's criteria to that switch being on, process the code for whatever you want to happen when the skill is used, and then turn the switch back off.

Oh... I did forget about that kind of ability under the 'effects' window :p

Thanks for solvin' all my problems today c:
Trihan
Any time. If you want to avoid making multiple topics, just post any issues you have in my "Make me a script!" topic. It's for helping with stuff like this as much as it is whoring myself out for scripting requests.
Pages: 1