[POLL] DO YOU THINK RM2K/3 WILL EVER DIE OFF COMPLETELY?

Poll

Do you think RM2K/3 will ever die off completely? - Results

No!!!!!! long live the king.
22%
Probably not, there is always someone who will want it.
50%
After another maker comes out, most likly.
11%
Um, I thought it was already dead.
15%

We all know and love RM2K/3 (well, most of us.) Though, with all the new and more powerful makers coming out, when will it end. Sure it's like comparing ps2 to ps3, but lets be honest, simplicity isn't a bad thing. It may not be able to do many of the wonderful things newer makers can, but for a 10 year old program, its fascinating really. So basically, do you think RM2K/3 will ever be non-existent?
Eventually it'll end. Everything ends at one point or another...it just depends on how long everyone decides to use it is all.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
As long as somebody is using them, it'll still be alive. Plus all those games that have been made with them will continue to still be around.

EDIT: Finally a good poll! :D Plus, XP and VX are probably going to disappear first.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
I'm gonna say no for the same reason people will still play Doom/Doom 2 and all that

Either that or it'll disappear for a bit and then pop right up out of nowhere
People still program games for the Commodore 64. The internet will never let anything die ever again.
I have noticed a considerable drop of games with RM2K/3 over the last year or two. Which is to be expected, but I didn't think it would drop as much as it did. Some of my favorite games have been with RM2K/3. Heroes Realm for example (would LOVE!!!!! to see a sequel.) I've always made my games on the older makers, though EVENTUALLY I'll need to move up.
So, uh, I've another five once-a-year games to make in it. I guess that's a no for at least another five years. I mean, sure, it might eventually fall off the map if EB! actually takes the best from it and adds it to the next RPG Maker. That being the mapping system (single layer selection plzkthnx) and some of the commands they forgot to add in to Ace.

Frankly, it's a fun program to use so I don't think it will go out for quite a few more years yet, but everything is lost to time eventually - think of the great tales that we will never read that were lost to history. How many more sagas like Beowulf or the Illiad? Everything disappears eventually.

So yes, eventually.
Things die off because they become obsolete or unusable.

If Windows 9 or whatever makes it totally incompatible, then yes. But in terms of obsolescence, Cherry just made it possible to quickpatch, and many many plugins have been added to breathe new life in. It'd be shame to find some newest incarnation of Windows BS phase out the tech that allows you to run exe files. But if that happens, you might as well try to screw over MS, since none of their "Apps" (from a dumb idea proposed by the Mac tech) are likely to remain free.

If Rhythos is free, does all the things 2k3 can do (including sidescroll battles, and mp3/avi support), and can support DynRPG, then maybe. Otherwise, you have to work with Ruby code, which sucks because I don't understand it.
If they ever make something that could actually replace RM2K3 completely, then yes. But seeing the way modern RPG Makers are going that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Rm2K/3 will die eventually. But the RM2K/3 games will live forever :)
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
As far as I know, German and some other foreign RPG Maker communities have been sticking to RM2K/3, and most people on Charas.net prefer RM2K/3 too.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Considering that 2k/3 games scarcely run on Windows 8, it's only a matter of time.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Who the fuck even uses that piece of shit Windows 8
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
author=Sailerius
Considering that 2k/3 games scarcely run on Windows 8, it's only a matter of time.

author=Nightowl

Windows 8 just overtook Vista for market share. Most people are still using 7 and XP. If anything, they'll get 8+ only if they get a new PC, not by upgrading.
author=Sailerius

Then I just found another reason to not ever use Windows 8. Not that I needed more reasons, but just saiyan'.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Nightowl

2013 and 14 are the years that XP will finally start to die out. All those people are going to be getting new computers. Know what comes on those new computers? Windows 8.
XP won't stop running (thank ye gods, because the laptop that I have at home that is running it is still a solid laptop that can run browsers and older games just fine.)
Even if OS incompatibility overtakes it, there'll be some DOSBOX program to let us run those old 2k3 games. It'll definitely discourage future development though.