[POLL] DO YOU THINK RM2K/3 WILL EVER DIE OFF COMPLETELY?

Poll

Do you think RM2K/3 will ever die off completely? - Results

No!!!!!! long live the king.
22%
Probably not, there is always someone who will want it.
50%
After another maker comes out, most likly.
11%
Um, I thought it was already dead.
15%

But we want our games to run forever >:(
Ironically RM95 was released in 1997 :p but still, I would not expect games to suddenly be unplayable because the OS updated. Silly Microsoft.
Saw this on a microsoft KB discussion:

It is possible to accelerate and also fix fullscreen DirectDraw applications in Windows 8. However you will not get the speed you were used to like in Windows 7 or before.

Save this as a *.reg file and modify the path to your game executable:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\YourGame\\GameExecutable.exe"="$ DWM8And16BitMitigation Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation"

Then run the registry script.

I don't have windows 8 so I can't tell you if this works or not...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Amy
Ironically RM95 was released in 1997 :p but still, I would not expect games to suddenly be unplayable because the OS updated. Silly Microsoft.

This is like the definition of the OS updating! People always want backwards compatibility, but it's admittedly a ridiculous amount of work, and Microsoft hates it for security and simplicity reasons. It is unsecure, and "90% of people will only use MS Office and Internet Explorer anyway."

You can always use the systems that the game was originally designed to run on. You need a PS2 to play PS2 games, so it makes sense to Microsoft (but no one else) for you to need a Windows XP machine to play Windows XP games. Or to have to struggle to get an emulator working, at least.

Though for what it's worth, RM95 games run fine on my Surface Pro. I just have to press escape to exit fullscreen mode, since there's no picture in fullscreen mode. But in windowed mode they work fine. It's a video card thing more than an operating system thing, I suspect.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It works with some games, yes.

Just like Windows 8 works perfectly fine with some Windows XP applications without making you do crazy shit. Most of them, in fact. Just not, uh, RPG Maker XP. Or Super Mario Bros. X. Or GraphicsGale. Or Photoshop. Or 7-Zip.

(You can make all of those work with some voodoo though, except for 7-Zip. The context menu it adds when you right-click on files in My Computer will just straight up not work.)
author=LockeZ
author=Amy
This is like the definition of the OS updating! People always want backwards compatibility, but it's admittedly a ridiculous amount of work, and Microsoft hates it for security and simplicity reasons. It is unsecure, and "90% of people will only use MS Office and Internet Explorer anyway."

You can always use the systems that the game was originally designed to run on. You need a PS2 to play PS2 games, so it makes sense to Microsoft (but no one else) for you to need a Windows XP machine to play Windows XP games. Or to have to struggle to get an emulator working, at least.

Though for what it's worth, RM95 games run fine on my Surface Pro. I just have to press escape to exit fullscreen mode, since there's no picture in fullscreen mode. But in windowed mode they work fine. It's a video card thing more than an operating system thing, I suspect.

Most of the incompatibility issues have nothing to do with difficulty, its more of a fiscal decision, the reason older games do not work on windows 8 because they are trying to push developers to the newer versions of DX seeing anything prior to 8 or 9 these days is considered legacy . They did they same thing with windows vista and 7 when they dropped support for visual basic 6 to get people to convert to the .net platform(basically breaking a majority of programs written in the language ). only when people bitched enough did they do anything (very little) about it.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
To answer the original question of the topic/poll:

RM2K is still alive and kicking as RM2K VALUE!, still being sold and actively supported and updated by Enterbrain. The boxed copy of RM2K that I got while I was in Japan about 1 year ago even has a sticker on it stating compatibility with Windows 8; it was proudly sitting on store shelves together with RMXP, VX, and VX(A).

RM2K3 on the other hand is "officially" dead, it has been pulled from store shelves long ago and you likely won't find any copies for sale besides used/second-hand copies.
I've got Windows 8 and can run this stuff just fine. And I'm still planning on making something eventually.
You see, as much as I like the newer makers and their advanced features, there's still a lot missing from some of these old ones. Sure, a lot can be replicated with scripts, if such scripts exist, but others do not.

RM2K and 2K3 include patches that modify the program in ways that even scripts cannot less they be called out for breaking the source code. True, if RM2K/3 were ever released commercially to us, a lot of those patches would then become illegal, but most people use these programs for hobby means and have no intention of going commercial, so in the end it doesn't matter.

It'd be kind of nice if people built patches that alter the source code for say, VX Ace, at least for those people who aren't making a commercial game.

I've seen some great games come out of these older programs that master the editor in ways that many games in the newer editors (with all their fancy scripts) do not. Most of these were built by the developer through their own programming and eventing knowledge.

That's not to say RM2K/3 is as popular as it was before Ace came along, but it still seems far from dead.

Now, that may not be the case with the next maker. Because of the squabble of resolution (and not being able to provide fixes to improve the resolution in currect programs), the issues with exporting, people wanting a more flexible database with more things by default, chances are the next maker will have to be built from scratch from the ground up rather than just another upgrade.

If more of the features that were present by default in 2K/3 are added to the new maker, without any features being removed, chances are that it will finally surpass these older programs in ways never before seen.

Even then, I'm sure there will be a comfortable niche for the old 2K and 3 programs, considering that because the only way to get it is through piracy, and there doesn't appear to be any effort to combat that or stop it, there will be some people who will grab those programs instead of paying for a new one.

And let's not forget, even if people abandoned making RM2K and RM2K3 games, there's still all the old games to contend with. Are we willing to let games like Blackmoon Prophecy, A Blurred Line, Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis, Hero's Realm, Generica, and Dragon Fantasy go extinct because it's on an old game maker?
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=bulmabriefs144
If Rhythos is free, does all the things 2k3 can do (including sidescroll battles, and mp3/avi support), and can support DynRPG, then maybe. Otherwise, you have to work with Ruby code, which sucks because I don't understand it.

Wouldn't count for Rhythos at this point - IMO best bet is Open RPG Maker now (on which forums I am your friendly moderator).
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=LockeZ
Autotiles are way more versatile than single tiles, I don't see how it's even possible to be upset about them. That's like being upset that there's more than one layer.

Actually I think issue is more of freaky autotile format (how the hell am I supposed to learn which part of autotile does what? And no, that "anatomy of autotile" article doesn't help, only make things more confusing). XP's and 2k3's autotile format was saner and easier to make tiles for than this abomination. This is about only thing that I don't like about Ace. IMO Ace and "regular" VX got best RTP I've seen. I have yet to be tired by it, where I got tired of RTP of earlier makers just after playing few games made using RTP. Maybe it's that "painty" style, like graphics were painted, I dunno.
RM2k3 does not have official support (RM2k has support yet). This is an official death. However, games made with it can be supported by they authors, but not the interpreter (RPG_RT.exe).

My thoughts about the tech part and why we should not use third party patches (DynRPG and such) and develop an open and compatible RPG Maker (already being made):

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/14876/
The interpreter is long obsolete and doesn't work very well on newer versions of Windows, so it's no surprise it's been falling in popularity. Add to that the new app-paradigm that has risen to prominence with the proliferation of smartphones and tablets and I think we'll start seeing a shift to HTML5 driven games as has more-or-less already happened with every other genre; the creation kits have gotten much better over the last couple of years and once someone gets around to making an RPG-specific plugin for something like Construct I can't really see RM2K/2K3 being competitive in any meaningful way.
author=x_rast_x
I can't really see RM2K/2K3 being competitive in any meaningful way.

Hey, it’s all about the games, my friend. As long as there continues to be some more awesome games released for rm2k3 in the future, it won’t matter to me if it’s old or not.

Of course, finding a way to run these S.O.B’s on later operating systems / hardware might be a problem, but I’m pretty sure there will be a way to do so.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=amerk
Even then, I'm sure there will be a comfortable niche for the old 2K and 3 programs, considering that because the only way to get it is through piracy, and there doesn't appear to be any effort to combat that or stop it, there will be some people who will grab those programs instead of paying for a new one.
RM2K can be legally obtained, I can even upload a photo of the boxed Japanese copy of RM2K Value if anyone wants to see it.

RM2K3 on the other hand, that can only be obtained via pirating (short of obtaining second-hand copies) because it was pulled from store shelves long ago.

author=nin8halos
I've got Windows 8 and can run this stuff just fine. And I'm still planning on making something eventually.
Can confirm that RPG_RT and the editors are working flawlessly in Windows 7 and in Windows 8 Release Preview (I refuse to purchase a retail copy of Windows 8/8.1).
It works on my windows 8 machine too, however the older tools (RPG Maker 2000 and 2003) require compatility mode to install but other than that I only sometimes had issues with the fonts not installing but it only happend once
Short answer: No, EasyRPG will make RM2k/3 games working on the future and in multiple platforms (already even on Android).