COMPANIES GET A BAD RAP CUZ OF BAD PEOPLE

Pages: first 12 next last
I work for Directv, which is a cable provider in the US. I was reading online about how all these people say "Directv sucks... they have crap service." So I looked online for other companies and low and behold they had the same type of replies. Most people that had a good experiance wont go out of their way to blog on line about how awsome it was. Yet, when its a bad experiance they dont hesitate to go trash the company. I saw a specific comment that said "Directv is evil... they are the devil." Directv wouldnt have been around 15 plus years if they were devils. I can say from personal experiance that MOST of the time people have problems its cuz they didnt read their damn bill or contract and ALWAYS blame it on us.
So because somebody has a bad experience and blogs about it, they're considered bad people because it makes the company look bad?

Surely it's not the company's poor Customer Service, lack of a friendly environment, confusing contracts, and nickel-n-diming practices.
author=amerk
So because somebody has a bad experience and blogs about it, they're considered bad people because it makes the company look bad?

Surely it's not the company's poor Customer Service, lack of a friendly environment, confusing contracts, and nickel-n-diming practices.

Im telling you from personal experiance... I have been a rep for them for over a year now. Most of time, not all the time. It's the customers fault. Sure companies mess up, but based of your comment you clearly didnt read my post correctly.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Frankly, companies should go out of their way to make it simple for those who are just layman Americans to understand what they're getting into immediately. If they constantly advertise $15/month for the first year with a two year contract, and then in fine print say "after that, we're overcharging however much we want" without properly stating so in their advertisements, of course people are going to go "wait, why am I being charged $45/month now?!" Use BIG LETTERS and SMALL WORDS, that's how you'll get the point across to everyone and eliminate the likelihood that your company might come across as shifty or "the devil".

At the end of the day, it's not your fault, Jparker, and you shouldn't have to stand on a soapbox to defend your employer. Companies are made for one thing and one thing only: to make money. It's not their job to give you a job or throw money at your feet, and they'd gladly sit idle while you work yourself to death if it means a profit.

Leave work at work.
for example. I had a customer one time tell me her husband died and she couldnt pay now cuz of the funeral... but yet she called in last mnth saying her sister died.. and last year her uncle died. I get that alot, it makes me sick. And people complain about prices, but they never look at thier contract. A lady yelled an cussed at me telling me that it our jobs to read them THEIR contracts.
author=Corfaisus
Frankly, companies should go out of their way to make it simple for those who are just layman Americans to understand what they're getting into immediately. If they constantly advertise $15/month for the first year with a two year contract, and then in fine print say "after that, we're overcharging however much we want" without properly stating so in their advertisements, of course people are going to go "wait, why am I being charged $45/month now?!" Use BIG LETTERS and SMALL WORDS, that's how you'll get the point across to everyone and eliminate the likelihood that your company might come across as shifty or "the devil".

At the end of the day, it's not your fault, Jparker, and you shouldn't have to stand on a soapbox to defend your employer. Companies are made for one thing and one thing only: to make money. It's not their job to give you a job or throw money at your feet, and they'd gladly sit idle while you work yourself to death if it means a profit.

Leave work at work.

Im not really defending my job, I'm speaking out against the people who mess up and make horrible lies and dumb excuses. like in my last post. Now like i said, I know the company isnt perfect, but neither is the customer.
People are like this so much that it's sickening.

They use something for like 15 minutes then they deem it as "terrible" because it doesn't work quite right or what have you. That's part of why society sucks today; they're extremely simple-minded on things. If you buy something, ANYTHING, like a game/TV service (like this topic mentions)/management plan and whatnot, you have to make a commitment for a little while before going off your rocker on it.

My family has a huge tendency to do this with just about everything, and it's really, really annoying. Apparently, nowadays there's no such thing as simply giving things a chance and everyone bases the quality of products solely off first glance.
author=zacheatscrackers
People are like this so much that it's sickening.

They use something for like 15 minutes then they deem it as "terrible" because it doesn't work quite right or what have you. That's part of why society sucks today; they're extremely simple-minded on things. If you buy something, ANYTHING, like a game/TV service (like this topic mentions)/management plan and whatnot, you have to make a commitment for a little while before going off your rocker on it.

My family has a huge tendency to do this with just about everything, and it's really, really annoying. Apparently, nowadays there's no such thing as simply giving things a chance and everyone bases the quality of products solely off first glance.

very insightful and i agree with you.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
I was able to convince my brother to switch from cable TV to satellite TV, based on my good personal experience, and he has never looked back.

Yes, unfortunately you have to deal with dumb, lazy and/or lying customers. And sadly, people tend to focus more on the negative than on the positive. Customer satisfaction, sadly, is less based on doing this the right way than doing things customer X wants. Company sometimes have to make sacrifices to keep their customers.

One thing that's bad about companies, though, is that their contracts are written by lawyers so that even if you are willing to take the time to pour over them, many times you can't be sure what you agreed to. Most people just take the easy way out and sign without reading, which is probably the biggest cause of problems regarding complaints.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Jparker1984
for example. I had a customer one time tell me her husband died and she couldnt pay now cuz of the funeral... but yet she called in last mnth saying her sister died.. and last year her uncle died. I get that alot, it makes me sick. And people complain about prices, but they never look at thier contract. A lady yelled an cussed at me telling me that it our jobs to read them THEIR contracts.
If they don't pay for their service, cut them off. It's that simple. It's not as if you work for an airline where bending over backwards for a paying customer to get them on a flight is the right thing to do, so you don't have to take others like this onto your shoulders.
author=zacheatscrackers
Apparently, nowadays there's no such thing as simply giving things a chance and everyone bases the quality of products solely off first glance.
Sure a product may not be as bad as it originally seems, but we're talking about a contract where there is no way to get out of them if what "originally seems" turns out to just be horrible. If you buy a faulty product, you can either get a refund or take the hit; subjecting yourself to a less-than-satisfactory contract, you can only take the hit and keep taking it until your contract expires.

If people were smart, they'd think twice before making such a leap. If they aren't, it's their problem. What a smart company would do is to make things as transparent as possible so that such a leap isn't as blind. Or better yet, scratch all that, do away with contracts as the only reason for them is to screw over the customer. Instead of making sure the customer is satisfied with the level of service they receive, they lock them in so that the customer doesn't even matter, ensuring for a guaranteed profit.

Frankly, it wouldn't matter if the customer is right or wrong if the company can only be right, therefore the problem is inherently on the company's end.
author=edchuy
I was able to convince my brother to switch from cable TV to satellite TV, based on my good personal experience, and he has never looked back.

Yes, unfortunately you have to deal with dumb, lazy and/or lying customers. And sadly, people tend to focus more on the negative than on the positive. Customer satisfaction, sadly, is less based on doing this the right way than doing things customer X wants. Company sometimes have to make sacrifices to keep their customers.

One thing that's bad about companies, though, is that their contracts are written by lawyers so that even if you are willing to take the time to pour over them, many times you can't be sure what you agreed to. Most people just take the easy way out and sign without reading, which is probably the biggest cause of problems regarding complaints.

Ive read our contracts and yes they are somewhat big, but its is very readable print. regardless of how the contract is if the customer dont read it, still their fault. We do try to help people that actually need it.

EDIT: However, you do make a good point. And yes, thats the biggest source of complaints for us.
edchuy
Yes, contracts should be written in plain English so you don't have to go to Law school to understand them. Plus sometimes the font used is terribly small. If you at least try to read them, you can always ask questions about what you're agreeing to.
author=Corfaisus
Sure a product may not be as bad as it originally seems, but we're talking about a contract where there is no way to get out of them if what "originally seems" turns out to just be horrible. If you buy a faulty product, you can either get a refund or take the hit; subjecting yourself to a less-than-satisfactory contract, you can only take the hit and keep taking it until your contract expires.
Oh, I definitely know contracts are a different matter. Don't get me wrong.

And sadly, I wish some people were smart enough to really look at a contract before going with it, but let's face it; little chance of that happening for that specific percentage of individuals.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
People complain about things that cause them problems personally. Kind of like you are complaining about customers, because they caused you problems personally.

Customers get a bad rap because of bad people
I work for a hospital and lemme tell you dead people have got Opinions about how we do things
edchuy
author=mawk
I work for a hospital and lemme tell you dead people have got Opinions about how we do things

I see dead people ...
Any job where you have to deal with customers, you're going to get a shitload of complaints coming your way. Deal with it. People are incredibly focused on the bad, and some people get satisfaction from complaining.
That's not to say a lot of companies ARE shit, because they are.
The average customer can take care of themselves. So unfortunately all of your time will be spent dealing with the 'below average' customers.
Corfaisus
"Customer support, how can I help you?"

"Why won't my clock show the right time?"

*click*
Pages: first 12 next last