VIDYA GAMES YOU’RE THE MOST “COMPETITIVE” AT

Pages: first 12 next last

"Low Level With No Items?" B**ch, please! Ain't nobody impressed by that MINOR spectacle!

So, a lot here mostly play games for fun. Others, like more of a challenge to go along with their six inch steaks. And there are just some people who are too dang good for their own know-how that SERIOUSLY need to get outside! (or at least try out another bloody game)

"Competitive Gaming".

I'm pretty sure there are at least a few games that most of us would find that we're "exceptionally" good at and could probably beat most people without even dropping an eyelash shadow. So I want to know what type of games you're mostly good at, and which ones you just excel the most at. (and they can be RPG's, too)

For me, the only three games I seem to be even remotely competitive in is "Panel De Pon," "Mario Kart," and, of course, "Super Smash Bros." I wouldn't say that I've the "best" -- but I'm better than the average joe.

Okay, your turn.
Panel de Pon? Ahh, that's nostalgic... I'm not any good at it myself, sadly.

I'm not really "exceptionally" good at any games, nor am I competitive by nature, but sometimes I come across games in Japanese with reviews along the lines of 'There needs to be an English translation of this!' and I smile a little inside because I have a dictionary and a little bit of fluency.

Heh heh heh.
I don't play a lot of competitive games because in general I prefer co-op, but I guess Super Smash Bros. Melee would be the exception for me. I've never played in a tournament or whatever, but none of my friends or people at parties stood a chance against me (includes people who owned the game themselves lol), and I didn't even have to go serious on them to beat them. It's been quite some years since I last played it... I probably suck at it now.
I guess Final Fantasy Tactics. Ninjas at Chapter 1, before you reach the swamps and all.
I tend to stay away from multiplayer games a lot because I'm not very competitive. When I do play multiplayer games it's often shooters and public servers where my contribution isn't essential and I can just have a bit of fun and die ten times more than I kill.

But there is one exception and it's a really a board game.

I've played over 1000 games of Blood Bowl on FUMBBL and while I'm not in the top-tier of players it's a game I really enjoy playing competitively. I mean I have a losing record on FUMBBL but I just shrug that off as me playing with teams that aren't the best (and playing with thematic tactics for fun and profit. You can be thematic AND competitive. That is trying to win even if you don't have the "perfect build")
Street Fighter, and fighting games in general. I'm a competitive person in certain things in general but fighting games get my blood going. I will Hadoken your face.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
author=Feldschlacht IV
Street Fighter, and fighting games in general. I'm a competitive person in certain things in general but fighting games get my blood going. I will Hadoken your face.

Unless you're up against me in which case you die long death.
BRO I'VE GOTTEN SO GOOD MAN.

It's rough being on deployment where you obviously can't play online but there's a few other people in my division and some of the squadrons that play SF and I routinely show their prostates my boot.

I'll be looking for you when my deployment is finished up, bro.

Yeah, I love fighting games. Been playing them since I was little.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
I'm not much a player who plays against other players. That said, I do recall being competitive playing an NBA basketball game (it hard a weird bug which caused the game to speed up all of the sudden) and my personal favorite, Tetris, using my freshman roommate's IBM PS/2. The next year, I played Tecmobowl using a neighbor's NES. More recently, I have played Wii Sports, especially Table Tennis, against my nephew, which is no fun, since he's a sore loser!
The closest I have is a route and strats for speedrunning Rockman no Constancy. I was inspired to try after AGDQ2012 but I never really tried to get splits for it. I played it almost entirely on the DS via NES emulator which makes it a bit tougher to do splits and I made extensive use of the rewind feature on it to try different strats and clean up my own horrible mistakes. I need to improve my execution and play on pc because I do want to see the final real time of my route and it'll be easier to find places to improve with a run where I don't abuse rewind.
I would smash you in the original Smash Bros (for the N64, jus' sayin').

I also got pretty damn good at Command & Conquer 95. That game is completely free to play now - we should organize an RMN tournament! "kentona vs the world". (I would win)
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
author=Feldschlacht IV
BRO I'VE GOTTEN SO GOOD MAN.

It's rough being on deployment where you obviously can't play online but there's a few other people in my division and some of the squadrons that play SF and I routinely show their prostates my boot.

I'll be looking for you when my deployment is finished up, bro.

Yeah, I love fighting games. Been playing them since I was little.

I actually havn't been playing at all since those days, but since SF4 ultra is coming out soon... Maybe it's time to get my Juri up to speed.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
author=kentona

I've been smashing with the best of them since before you were born
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I would say League of Legends and maybe Smash Bros. are the only games were I get competitive. I would also say Monopoly but that's not a true "video" game.

I play games to have fun. I'll sulk about losing for about 10 minutes and then I'll get over it. :P
author=mawk
yoshi's cookie

I WOULD DESTORY YOU, MAWK!!!

author=arcan
author=kentona
I've been smashing with the best of them since before you were born

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! :D

(Actually, can I "join" in too? I need to practice a little for the next upcoming Smash.)
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
if I remember right I peaked at like 16th best dissidia player in the world at some point

I didn't have the money to attend enough tournaments to climb higher. So sad.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Guitar Hero
Party games like those in Wii Sports, but we really just fake being competitive for laughs. "Watch and learn, suckas!", etc.

I was more competitive in my early teenage years when I started playing online games. I ranked third for a while at Street Fighter Online when it was still pretty new and Ryu was the only available character: I had over 100 wins and only 5-6 losses.
I also built a Runescape character to roughly Lv50 in every F2P skills and had most of the Runic equipment (what a waste of time that was, in retrospect).

But I always did tire fast of playing competitively when I reached a certain point.
Nowadays I prefer to play in a relaxed mood and to set my own goals in a nice solo RPG.
Sonic Adventure is one of the only games I'm confident that I'm extremely good at. Final Fantasy Tactics is up there, though not to the extent Nessy is.
Pages: first 12 next last