SOPA BILL PASSES! (…WELL, FOR “RUSSIA,” THAT IS)

Pages: 1

Russia’s ‘SOPA’ Passed By Lawmakers
Aggressive new anti-piracy legislation that allows for sites to be rapidly blocked by ISPs upon allegations of copyright infringement passed through its final two readings in Russia’s State Duma today. Lawmakers fast-tracked the controversial legislation despite intense opposition from Google and Yandex, Russia’s biggest search engine. Following upper house and presidential approval, the law is expected to come into effect on August 1.

After many years of doing almost nothing to stop the spread of unauthorized materials online, the Russian Government recently introduced a draft bill proposing one of the toughest online copyright regimes to be found anywhere in the world.

The proposals would see copyright holders filing lawsuits against sites carrying infringing content. Site owners would then be required to remove unauthorized content or links to the same within 72 hours. Failure to do so would result in their entire site being blocked by Internet service providers pending the outcome of a court hearing.

Last Friday, 257 lawmakers in Russia’s State Duma voted in favor of the bill during its first hearing, despite outcry from Internet giants such as Google, and Yandex, the country’s largest search engine.

It was hoped that amendments proposed by the tech giants aimed at making the legislation less punishing on innovation could be introduced before the bill’s second and third readings. Today those hopes were dashed when lawmakers fast-tracked the bill and had both readings in one day.

The result is a law that allows copyright holders to complain directly to the courts if infringing material is found, even without first contacting the website in question. If the rightsholder wins his case and the content remains, the site’s IP address will be blacklisted by Russian ISPs.

The blocking of IP addresses, which can be shared by many sites, is terrifying web companies.

“This approach is technically illiterate and endangers the very existence of search engines, and any other Internet resources. This version of the bill is directed against the logic of the functioning of the Internet and will hit everyone – not just internet users and website owners, but also the rightsholders,” a spokesman for Yandex said in a statement.

“It’s like forever closing the highway, on which there was only one accident.”

Controversially, the original version of the draft bill proposed that all copyrighted content would be covered, but due to last minute negotiations only movies and TV shows will be included for protection. However, further negotiations are expected in the summer to expand the law’s reach to a wider range of content.

The law is expected to come into effect August 1, following upper house and presidential approval.

- www.torrentfreak.com

-- It's baaaaaccccckkkkkkkkk!!!

Just when you thought that the Russian Government couldn't get ANY worse than it already has been now, especially with the whole "Edward Snowden" thing, "Anti-Gay rights bashing" -- and now this! Like the gentle evening breeze that quietly blows through the night, SOPA once again rears its ugly head as President Poo-TANG and his glorious regime unleashes it all for his wonderus people to see.

*sigh*

...What the hell happened to you, Russia? You used to be cool.

So, "Why should any of you care about this?" Because. Now that the SOPA bill has re-emerged and passed in the good ol' land of the former Soviets, what's to stop the U.S. government from bringing and slightly tweaking that same bill to make it pop up again for the rest of us? Perhaps they'll see the "shining" example set by the Russians and try and stuff it down our throats once again.

Also, I'm deeply concerned and saddened for the entire Russian population. With their country already going through a ton of unnecessary garbage at the moment -- "this" then manages to happen to them! In a matter of mere seconds, many lives who depended on the Internet for all their daily means of life are now suddenly forced to take a back seat.

This also REALLY effected me substantially as one of my main music sites where I collect most of my incredibly bad-ass tunes for most of my games are now all but gone now (thanks god I already have a custom musician and most of my songs were bought already or I'd be SCREWED)!!! I've used that wonderful music site of theirs for 5 years now. And I don't think I'll ever find a better place for such inspiration and the wonderful music that comes from within it.

Also, what about the fate of the original forefather of the original RPG Makers, "Don Miguel?" I'm sure he's dead now (or in jail) :(

You guys can also officially "forget" about all those Russian translations for your games, now. Which means, no more "Hero's Realm: Kremlin Addition;" "You Are NOT The Hero: Featuring Maria Sharapova;" and "Monopolo: THE RED, BLUE AND PUTIN ADDITION FEARURING THE AMAZING VOICEOVER OF ALEXANDER OVECHKIN!!!" :(

~ Tis a sad day for all us, comrades.
Oh god, it passed? I really feel sorry for them... :(
Knowing our commitment to freedom (sarcasm), I'm surprised we haven't secretly declared it legal without the public knowing about it.

A heard on the news about some tax that nobody wanted and rejected 6 times. Instead of simply saying "is this really worth it?" they decided to add more incentives. Just give it a rest!
If what I hear about the language of the bill is true, Russia's computer and internet technology has now entered permanent stagnation and will remain in the 20th century while the rest of the world moves on.
Not surprising for a country that went full blown Oligarchy after the soviet union's fall.

author=Addit
Perhaps they'll see the "shining" example set by the Russians and try and stuff it down our throats once again.

If anything, it's a good thing for us. Russia and the West are at odds over a lot of things. If internet censorship is "something Russia would do", it gives us more another argument against.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
proxy
sed nuff
I actually had the same thought as Dyhalto. I feel sorry for you poor Russians!
Here's hoping it turns out to be such an embarrassing disgrace that people permanently take it off the board in this country.

Like some horrid glitch that decides a gardening page has "subversive material" about weeds.

I don't care much for Communism, but that's a powerful song. Also, interestingly, in China post-Communism, the term "comrade" is inside talk for "gay." As in, those two girls look like comrades.
Doesn't surprise me one bit, since Russia's government has always been rather iffy on these matters. Still a shame to hear, though.

I'd say I hope that they change their minds about it eventually, but that's wishful thinking to the extreme.
Speaking of those wacky Russians, I find it quite amusing that if the music site I go to (Legalsounds) raises their prices just a liiiiittttttlllleeee bit more they’ll be unblocked by the Russian Feds and can do business once again! Guess it isn’t all that bad.

But, even if they don’t, it’s rather reassuring for me to know that my remaining twenty bucks left on my account is going towards some major use over there, like getting some of Putin's KGB members a grand size latte from Starbucks, and what not.
SOPA May Be on its Way Back: Streaming Copyrighted Videos Could Soon Be a Felony: http://www.complexmag.ca/tech/2013/08/sopa-felony-copyright-streaming

...Looks like Russia isn't the ONLY one now.

God Bless America. *salutes*
author=bulmabriefs144
Knowing our commitment to freedom (sarcasm), I'm surprised we haven't secretly declared it legal without the public knowing about it.

Told ya.

Land of the free.

Canada is nice this time of year, eh?

Also, I'm getting blocked from "redirect" by Ghostery on the above link.
Pages: 1