CHANGING MAX LEVEL THROUGH EVENTS (RPG2K3)

Pages: 1
I've changed the purpose of Levels enormously in my game, making them serve in a totally different way. However, for the system to become more interesting, I'd need a function that allows to raise the max level during the game. It's possible to set a max. Level in the character window, but I couldn't find any way to change the max Level through events later on. The best option I found so far was adding a new character for every level - like cloning my hero into another character spot and changing the max level from 3 to 4 on this spot, and repeating this like 20 times, then with every "max level up", i just remove the char and replace it with the next clone. But I feel a bit unsettled with the thought of having over 60 character spots, as well as the next problem is - removing and replacing the character always changes his spot in the party. I didn't find a way to change spots via events as well (speaking of this, I couldn't even find a way to make a char start off in back row but meh...). So I'd have to remove every character for just one character's levelup and replace them once again to control their order in party, which leads to some headaches with programming stored character IDs. Before I am going to penetrate myself with this, is there any other, easier solve existing?
To be honest I don't think that such an option exists. I'm not 100% sure though, cause I never had to use this kind of stuff.

Here are some ideas though, that could help you solve your problem:
You could make the monsters/quests give no EXP to champions that are on their "max lvl's". That way you don't need to worry about cloning, it's like faking the max lvl thing (though not sure if it's possible, probably, if you subtract the amount of xp given before/after it's given, your hero will remain on the same xp amount, therefore he'll never level).

While I'm not sure if that is possible, there could be other ways, for example every time a character levels, and are above the current max level, you just put him back to the previous level. While that isn't a perfect solution, still a viable option in my opinion (at least you dont need to clone them thousand times).

Probably there are easier methods, but these are the ones I could come up with.

Hope it helps.
It IS possible to set a max level, that's not the problem. You can set a max Level at 10 in the character window, but withing the game, by using events, there is no way to set it higher (or lower) at a later point.
You can create a custom exp give out that happens after battle. That way you can have total control over everything. You use variables for stuff. It would require some setup, but it would solve everything.

LockeZ did it in this game http://rpgmaker.net/games/1642/

*Maybe, if you didn't want to use variables for everything you might be able to just set max level at 99. And before giving out exp, check level, if it's at a current max level(set by another variable) then don't give exp.
Or re-class at max level. Make the promoted class level 1 equal to the previous class at level 99.
Well, I have controlled exp giveaway because level experience is only given in key situations like bosses. The thing is however, it is up to the player when he decides to kill certain bosses, this means there is a variation possible, when someone levels and when not. It's easy to set a standart branch that if my hero has reached this or that level, switch him out and one in with a new max level, but he will be placed in the last spot of the party. That means, I also have to switch out the other party members. And this is where the problem starts - I'd have to store the other characters information in a variable so the game recognizes their level when switched out and in again. This means I waste over 60 spots of variables.

Setting the max Level higher and give Level Up restrictions might work, but while it's an easy code for the normal level up events, it's a hardnut to crack when it comes to battle. The characters always start at level one in battle, and based on their actions it falls or raises. In short - filled timeline = 1 level up every time, using skills = lowering the level again based on the skill, a lot of the variables are set equal to the max level (effecting how fast the time line fills and how strong skills are).

@Milennin

As far I couldn't find a way to set a max level for classes, only for the characters.

Right now I've tried to substitute MP instead for this. It's probably an easier solution, especially for cotrolling how much "levels" (MPs) you lose per skill, also because the player can see what "Level" the character is from the number of MP, and I think I can deal with sacrificing the stat for a different purpose (maybe I can add them in with variables later but let's see).
Sorry, I don't understand why what you said makes my answer wrong. If that's what you said.

If you use switches and variables in battle, to control exp payout after battle, you can do anything with the level up system. Like change the cap, or even deleveling. There is no switching heroes. 1 hero per hero.
Because setting an exp cap will be ignored in battle, where certain key actions will raise/lower the current characters level (not affected by gaining experience/losing experience). Like I said, I'm using the level system not for its common nature but a different purpose.
Pages: 1