RMN IS FOR GAMES.

Pages: first 12 next last
RMN is for games, not romhacks. I don't think we should be hosting deliverables that merely change the script of SNES RPGs. Regarding: Chrono Trigger Devolution
I agree. I'd even take that one steep further and include projects like this: Link (Ironically, another Chrono Trigger related thing) (Even the game profile no longer meets current standards), even if there is some merit on it being made with rpg maker... But apparently RMN is just a hosting service, not a game development community. *shrug*

Edit: *Some* Rom hacks are games... Actually, I'm not sure about the terminology, but wouldn't such hacks be more like "mods"?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Rom hacks are games, though. And to be fair, a lot of them put in more work than a lot of RPG Maker games we host.

I mean, that one didn't. It looks like it just changed the dialogue.

You should play Jonbound or Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 or Crimson Echoes, though. Those are basically entirely new games made in the engine of an existing game.
author=alterego
I agree. I'd even take that one steep further and include projects like this: Link

I'd just like to point out that while this might not be a game, it does have enough similarities to visual novels that we should allow it on that basis. Sure, it presents the visuals in a different manner. There might not be any choices, but that isn't really a requirement for traditional visual novels either. They're both narrative-focused works which primarily communicate a story through text, but are accompanied by music and a visual representation of the text.

Regarding the original post, what is the reasoning that romhacks shouldn't be allowed? The specific one in that post might have just changed dialogue from the base game, but that's not the full extent of what hackers are capable of. I could probably point out any number of bad attempts at RPGMaker games that just throw a bunch of RTP stuff together with little effort. Should we ban that engine as well and require that everybody program their games from scratch?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Muninn
could probably point out any number of bad attempts at RPGMaker games that just throw a bunch of RTP stuff together with little effort. Should we ban that engine as well and require that everybody program their games from scratch?
We don't require that they program their games from scratch, but we do have quality requirements in order to stop games like this.

If CT Devolution were well-done and/or popular I would have no problem with it being here. However it is just a bunch of comedical dialogue edits and isn't on any other sites. Getting rid of it doesn't bother me, but using that as a premise to ban all romhacks kinda bothers me.
I am of the same mind as lockez here. I've played both ff 1.3 and crimson echoes, so I can vouch for what he is saying (although admittingly not jonbound..mayby I should look into that..). While I have no issue with the game being here, I wouldn't really care if it did get removed since it just changed the dialog. It would be kind of weird though, considering I've seen worse quality in projects on this site.
For every Crimson Echoes there are hundreds of romhacks that just change the player sprite or equally content-less changes. They should be disallowed by default and accepted only in extraordinary circumstances.
author=mawk
why?

Because script edits are not a game, they are a game mod.
Script edits aren't a game, but what's your reason for wanting to disallow the ones that aren't just script edits?
author=Jude
author=mawk
why?
Because script edits are not a game, they are a game mod.

"why" as in "why is this a problem for the site and not just someone splitting hairs"

I agree, this looks like shit

but the thing about this site's that in theory the bad products sink to the bottom. I'd be in favour of some kind of requirement that a romhack change the game a decent amount, but then there's the question of how that's determined and whether the enforcement is worth it.

gimme a good reason why the line should be drawn there beyond your choice of noun ("it's not an x, it's an x!") and I might think something different, though!
author=Muninn
Script edits aren't a game, but what's your reason for wanting to disallow the ones that aren't just script edits?

I don't. I concede your point that some romhacks are games, however they are an extreme minority. I also disagree that FFT v1.3 is a game and not a mod, though Crimson Echoes is.
author=mawk
gimme a good reason why the line should be drawn there beyond your choice of noun ("it's not an x, it's an x!") and I might think something different, though!

Because it expands the site beyond its intended scope. The nouns aren't merely labels--they are descriptors for the type of content we carry, and run-of-the-mill romhacks are not included.
I think you're overstating the degree to which "run-of-the-mill romhacks" consist of nothing more than script edits.

Personally, this kind of thing is something that I've never seen before, and all of the romhacks that I have encountered would be unambiguously considered to be games.
LockeZ
I don't disagree with your generalizations, Jude, but I think they're just as true of RPG Maker as they are of romhacks. FFT 1.3 is more of a unique game than any RPG Maker game that uses the default battle system is. The overwhelming majority of RPG Maker games might as well be script edits of Don Miguel's Adventure. It even has an automatic map generator now, so you don't have to steal maps from other people's games any more.

I don't think there are that many rom hacks out there that are just text edits. I think the vast majority of them are gameplay hacks like hard modes. My experience could be colored by the types I've sought out and the types that the people I've known have been involved with making, though.
author=LockeZ
I don't think there are that many rom hacks out there that are just text edits. I think the vast majority of them are gameplay hacks like hard modes. My experience could be colored by the types I've sought out and the types that the people I've known have been involved with making, though.

Hard mode hacks are not games, they are mods. Strip away what the romhackers have done and what remains is 95% of the same product. If you gut the entire event scripting and content data structures and all that remains is an engine, then you've made a game. These exist in very few numbers.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
How many Super Mario Bros. X games does this site have..?

If something is fun, original, or interesting, it doesn't matter if it was built from another game. If a romhack differs significantly from the original, I don't see why RMN shouldn't host it.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I don't think we should be hosting games that require you to illegally download other games in order to play them.
then rm2k3 games are right out, too
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=mawk
then rm2k3 games are right out, too

Although I agree with the sentiment, you can play them without RM2k3. That's not the case with a ROMhack.
Pages: first 12 next last