EXTRA-LIFE 2013: PLAY VIDEO GAMES FOR CHARITY!

Pages: first 1234 next last
"Video games for charity, you say?"

Why yes! That's right! This year, I'm participating in...

A charity event where people play video games for a solid 24 25 hours in the name of helping the youngins. Best part is... it's live-streamed! If you are feeling charitable, you can donate to my cause and help me reach my goal of $250, or you can participate in the event yourself! Signing up is the easy part, and additionally, we can make this a Team Event! That's right. You can be a part of...

TEAM RMN!

It's still in its infancy obviously, but if you have nothing better to do on Nov 2, and want something to feel good about, join up! It takes 5 minutes. I obviously have no idea how many of you will be interested in this, but I've started our team's goal for $1000! I think we can totally get there and then some if we spread the word around! Donations don't need to come solely from RMN either, so tell your friends and family too (or other sites even)!

If you decide to donate, please post your donation page and the hospital you are supporting so that I can add it to this post!

Also, I've made this pixeltastic banner that you can add to your page to support the team:

As for my event in particular, you can donate at my page below:

http://www.extra-life.org/participant/pepsiotaku

Donations will go towards supporting Hasbro Children's Hospital.

The event will start at 8am EST, streamed live via twitch.tv for your entertainment--so you can watch me suffer from lack of sleep on hour 23! I will be doing LIVE Let's Try's and attempt to play YOUR RPG MAKER GAMES for 25 hours straight, with an occasional gam mak hour of my own thrown in, and maybe get some visits from friends in the area. What will I play? It's up to you! Suggest away, and I'll make it happen. The stream will be be found at:

http://www.twitch.tv/pepsiotaku

At the very least, I hope you decide to donate to my cause! Thanks for reading!

Donations & Team Members

The List of Totally Awesome People & Participants
1. Kentona, on behalf of RMN - For his generous donation of $50!
2. Archeia_Nessiah - International Children's Miracle Network
3. Darken - IWK Health Centre Foundation
4. Hirei - Riley Hospital for Children
5. LordBlueRouge
6. (You!)

Helpful Links

About Extra-Life
FAQ
Official Blog

Extra Life 2012 Live Stream Directory
(Additional 2013 content will be here too)

I'm going to take a page from penny arcade's book and add one simple rule for this thread: Dont' be a dick. It's not funny or clever. If you feel like trolling this thread for shits and giggles, you are in the wrong place.

author=PepsiOtaku
My streamis now LIVE!

Also, if you're bored by my stream at any time, don't forget to check out the other streams:

Archeia_Nessiah
http://www.twitch.tv/archeia/

Darken
http://www.twitch.tv/crowned_darius

Hirei
http://www.twitch.tv/reiterasu
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
Sounds interesting- whether I'd want to pull such a stunt myself is another matter.
Oh hay it's a Saturday. I'll join in Team RMN :o
@BurningTyger: Haha. It's definitely going to be a challenge! The last marathon I did that was that long only lasted about 19 hours (it was a halloween/horror movie marathon). I'll have a pot of coffee with me at all times. :)

@Nessiah: You should!! It's great karma, and the more people involved, the better! My friend and I will have a ventrillo server going through the marathon, so we can certainly loop more people into that to keep it interesting.
IT sucks that they only allow Twitch though! I'm a Livestream person fff I'll try though ;~;

I'm supporting the International Children's Miracle Network

I'll definitely donate something though pepsi :D
Awesome! I don't think it matters too much what you use to stream it though. You can actually edit your profile page with whatever links you want to include.

I'll donate to your page too! Within reason (my budget), I'm going to try to give a little bit to every team member that joins over the next couple months.
Nice I'm participating with another team though :) Good luck
No worries! I can still add your participant profile to the first post if you want.
Technically, the $50 donation is from RMN. I just made it on RMN's behalf.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=PepsiOtaku
for a solid 25 hours

author=PepsiOtaku
It takes 5 minutes

lol

I would totally do 25 hours of Let's Try videos but I don't see the correlation between the game-playing and the charity. From their front page, it sounds like it's just "Donate money to us! And, uh, play video games all saturday if you want to, as a reward for yourself!" Is someone donating $50 for every person who signs up or something?

Actually, that sounds like a fair deal. Right? If someone donates $50 to this, I'll LT their game for 25 straight hours or until I beat it, whichever comes first. This offer is first-come, first-served. (Also, if someone pays me $50, I'll LT their game for 25 straight hours or until I beat it, whichever comes first. Paypal donations can be sent to ff3lockez@yahoo.com. I am poor.)
You don't "get" charity, do you?

Edit: Let me elaborate. First off, nobody is forcing you to give away $50. Any amount would be fine. Secondly, you don't have to be a part of it if you don't want to. I'm doing this because I do. There's nothing to argue here. You're barking up the wrong tree.
You know the deal - people aren't motivated to do things unless there is a meaning to it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=PepsiOtaku
You don't get charity, do you?
Uh. Maybe not? I'm pretty sure the point of the charity is to donate money to save kids, right?

The game-playing has no correlation to this. It's completely separated from the charity. There's no link at all between the game-playing and the charity, except that the same website says to do both of them. Nothing about donating money to this cause actually gives anyone any reason to play games. And nothing about playing games gives anyone any reason to donate money to this cause.

So, apparently with 5 minutes of thought, I was able to do a better job of linking the two ideas than the creators of the charity were, and create an extra incentive for people to donate at the same time. I somehow don't feel bad about this?
It's not unlike all those walks and runs for various diseases. Walking 10km for Breast Cancer really does nothing to fight breast cancer. It's just a way to generate awareness, meaning and donations for fighting breast cancer.
You're entitled to your opinion.

It doesn't matter if there's a correlation between the game playing and the charity. There is no "winner" aside from the hospitals you're donating to.

Edit: What kentona said.
LockeZ
author=kentona
It's not unlike all those walks and runs for various diseases. Walking 10km for Breast Cancer really does nothing to fight breast cancer. It's just a way to generate awareness, meaning and donations for fighting breast cancer.
Walking works to generate awareness because it is public! A bunch of people do it together and stuff. Playing WoW all day in my basement generates no more awareness than just claiming I'm going to do so. It just seemed like an odd event because no one can even tell if you played games for 24 hours or not.

Anyway, I mostly just thought I'd sweeten the pot a little for anyone thinking of donating.
Well, there is the livestreaming of the game playing...
Well it is sort of public isn't it? I thought the point was to stream you playing games?

Not that the site does a great job explaining it. In fact the site seems to do very little explaining at all as far as I can see.

EDIT: Oh the links to explaining was in the thing that changed all the time and only in some of the slides.
LockeZ
As far as I can tell, the livestreaming was Pepsi's idea and isn't part of the charity.
Pages: first 1234 next last