POST-APOCALYPTIC STORY

Pages: 1
Hello,
I have in mind to make post-apocalyptic game, with free roam open world RPG i have 10years of rpgmaker experience and I can make very good quality game, but I have problems with storyline I cant create a story.. so asking any ideas what main quest player will have to do to finish the game. Game would be similar to Fallout, stalker something like that.
I see post apocalyptic as more of the background setting you're choosing to put your game in rather than the main aspect to get a story from.

If are trying to make a story from a setting then I can see why you're struggling as that seems almost a backwards approach. In good stories the setting is usually the surface the character go on (external conflict) while what's actually being explored at the depth and core of the story is some themes beneath that (the core, internal conflict and challenges the character has to face to win their goal).

You could try brainstorming ideas for a few characters, what they could want in a story and come into conflict over, with some values and see if any theme that interests you appears from there.
Is there anyone would be interested in post-apocalyptic setting, with mix like fallout 3, stalker, survarium? Open world game?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm sure there are people interested enough by the idea to play it if you do it well. Post-apocalypse is a popular setting, and open world is apparently the type of game that gives everyone a hard-on.
author=atoms405
If are trying to make a story from a setting then I can see why you're struggling as that seems almost a backwards approach. In good stories the setting is usually the surface the character go on (external conflict) while what's actually being explored at the depth and core of the story is some themes beneath that (the core, internal conflict and challenges the character has to face to win their goal).

You're right, but you're also wrong. Setting is important to build from, especially something such as a post-apocalyptic game where tropes and such are important to recognize, and in fact in such a game, a lot of the story is world-building, i.e. descriptions of the current situation of mankind after the outbreak. To not consider the nature of your outbreak and its consequences as well the history since the outbreak, and including the tension leading up to the outbreak then you will not have as strong a ground to build upon.

Also, keeping in mind that you can design a game any way you want, and a story any way you want. There is no rule that "you must start with characters" when the character's conflicts only make sense in the context of the setting anyway.

Bringing it back to the OP's question, it must be noted that the primary mission of most post-apocalyptic survival stories is simply this: survival. Perhaps the protagonist is set in a world where the authorities are oppressing humanity and it is up to the hero to either rid the region of its governmental oppression somehow, or save it. Either way the protagonist must almost always choose to save those he loves over himself, and that's what makes him a true hero. Somehow self-sacrifice redeems him to the point where he becomes a near-God and changes his situation.

But it depends what type of apocalypse you are suggesting. Is it nuclear, plague, natural disaster, supernatural disaster, devastating environmental changes, or Alien Invasion? Each apocalypse will have a different vibe to this game, and I'm suggesting that you come up with a unique personal history to your world that reflects this.

As a wise man once said, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, give a man net and you feed him for a lifetime", so here are some references that I think you might find useful in researching to develop your own story:
"After the End" TV Tropes page -- Useful information about standard post-apocalyptic stories
"Apocalypse Anarchy" TV Tropes page
Setting:
Game sets in post-apocalyptic fictional country Nomad there bomb was droped in 2014's destroying most of the country, no safe place left except those who got sheltered underground. Most of populiation was killed or affected by radiation and trasformed in diffrent kinds of mutants. One of people mutation known as "Dark ones".

Story:
Players starts game in his shelter underground somewhere in Sprangvile town. Player survived 2 years living in underground and now hes out of food and water its time to enter the world.

Help me write a storyline, idk what he is going to do in wasteland! You will be credited. game have ready graphics and scripts, and I cant countinue developing becouse of story. game is similar to fallout series
unity
You're magical to me.
Huh, I'm one of the maybe three people in the world who hasn't played the Fallout series, but I did see my old roommate playing it once or twice, so I think that qualifies me to write a similar story.

The player character is in love with a mutant named Takeshi-sempai. But Takeshi-sempai won't date the player character unless he/she becomes the AVATAR OF LOVE. To do so, you must travel to the ruins of the Superdome in the abandoned wreckage of a city once called Tsundertron.

In the center of the superdome ruins, the player finds scattered corpses of the heroes of old who failed to appease the DAEMON OF LOVE. The DAEMON says you must be his new AVATAR and deliver LOVE LETTERS to the survivors of the apocalypse. Each love letter has the CURSE OF TIME cast upon it, and if you fail to deliver the letter before the time runs out, the person the letter is addressed to will never be able to find true love.

After a globe-trotting adventure of handing out the letters, all the people who you delivered a letter to will build you a city that you get to name, but then the citizens will veto your name and call it SWAGSMEGAGRON. There, you will find Takeshi-sempai sitting on the throne that's rightfully yours. He laughs and reveals that this was all a scheme to get the powers of the AVATAR OF LOVE without having to do bullshit letter quests. He pulls a string and the several-stories curtain behind you opens to reveal the HAATO-MECH, a giant robot with a vacuum that he will use to suck up your LOVE AVATAR powers.

After an epic final battle against Takeshi and the mecha, you will ascend to robo-heaven and be congratulated by the machine god for playing a great game. The end.
Well, since you don't mention anybody else with him in the shelter, he might get out and start with a simple quest to try and get food and water; but then he finds that he's too weak alone to fight against the mutants and so he joins a group of survivors. However, after two years in total isolation his social skills have atrophied and now he cannot connect with people in a meaningful way; or optionally he might have gone a little crazy in isolation.

You can also go with the story that he is looking for his family/friend/loved one, whom he lost contact shortly before the follout.

Just remember that the first priority for your character should be survival, since he is in an "After-the-end" setting. Also, what about the other countries in the world? Were they bombed too, or are they fine? If they were not bombed, why aren't they invading Nomad?
Jess24,
Your idea is very nice, I thinking about adding this. Yes the another countries are bombed too.
Pages: 1