NOMINATING COMMERCIAL GAMES FOR MISAOS

Pages: first 12 next last
Why can't I nominate You Are Not The Hero for most promising demo just because it is recently going commercial?
Because it has recently gone commercial.
But it's unfair, it's easily one of the best demos released this year, if not the best. And it wasn't commercial when it was released. Why aren't commercial games allowed Misaos again?

edit: if it helps, the demo isn't being sold so it technically should qualify for the category. :I
They get all the money, they get all the chicks, they shouldn't get all the votes too.
Seriously though have you played You Are Not The Hero it's one of the most promising demos I've seen this year and the only other one I can think of is BoutallesOnline which I don't think deserves it :O

edit: oh wait there's always Blood Shard but still.
Well, I'm sure the rule is that commercial games can't get nominated. When a profile is switched to commercial, it's probably hard coded into the site that nominating is disabled. So it doesn't matter what it used to be, it's commercial now and can't be nominated. My guess is that it's not worth the effort to code in this kind of exception. It's just a stupid Misao.

And no, I didn't play it. I don't play games.
Commercial games are eligible for a much larger pool of awards from other websites, magazines, producers, etc. There's no need to include them in our little community award system.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=thatbennyguy
But it's unfair, it's easily one of the best demos released this year, if not the best. And it wasn't commercial when it was released. Why aren't commercial games allowed Misaos again?

edit: if it helps, the demo isn't being sold so it technically should qualify for the category. :I

Because commercial games are bound to have a much larger budget. If you allow commercial games, then they're going to blow away the noncommercial games and ruin the spirit of the award.
The spirit of sexy obscure anime chicks is sacred.

Interestingly, if you nominated it before it was flagged as commercial, the nomination probably still exists.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Just a thought, and I'm sure you've already considered this... would a separate Misao for commercial games make sense? Not a whole event but just a single award like "Best Commercial Game"?

I'm not sure how many commercial games on actually on the site so I'm not sure how pertinent it'd be, but it seems like a decent compromise. I can also understand wanting to keep the Misaos completely separated from commercial projects.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
So the question remains, if somebody has already nominated it, when voting comes around, can you actually vote for it, then?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=edchuy
So the question remains, if somebody has already nominated it, when voting comes around, can you actually vote for it, then?

It'll be removed. A commercial dev tried gaming the system last year and it was pulled from voting. I forget which game it was.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
Oh, so RMN v.4.x actually works ... who would've phunk it!
It has always been the tradition that Misaos are for non-commercial indie games.

And if there really is a need for awards for commercial indie games, I think there are other websites specially dedicated to commercial games that will do better in that category than this website, like what Dyhalto stated. Besides, Misaos really only give out honorary titles. Commercial games deserve far more than that.
Yeah, I also tried to nominate “You Are Not The Hero” for an award the other day too. I was also trying to figure out why I couldn’t as well but it was probably due to it suddenly making the jump to being a commercial game now.

And I agree with everyone else around here; commercial games shouldn’t be able to get nominated to win misaos (although I do like slashphoenix’s idea about having a certain specific award for them) as it should be the freeware ones that should be the ones to be eligible to win. It may seem a bit unfair, but RMN is primarily a game making site for freeware games and not commercial ones. Besides, like Dyhalto said, a commercial game already gets enough attention as it is: money, advertising, chicks, free beer, etc.

So I’m fine with the way things are. Sucks, but that’s life.
author=Sailerius
Because commercial games are bound to have a much larger budget. If you allow commercial games, then they're going to blow away the noncommercial games and ruin the spirit of the award.

I think you're assuming that commercial games are automatically better than noncommercial ones. ;) But I fully understand, it's just a bit of a shame that's all, for a game which I thought deserved the Demo and Non-RPG categories for its pure innovation. You'll always have a Misao in my heart, YANTH <3
I think you're assuming that commercial games are automatically better than noncommercial ones
They kinda should be. The person is charging money for it. They are definitely held to a higher standard with good reason.

Name one game in the history of time that has charged money for a demo x.x
The only 'true' reason I see for not allowing commercial games to enter the Misaos is simply that RMN doesn't really allow those games here. Commercial game profiles are just a form of free advertisement. ;P

The way I see it, the point of a contest like the Misaos is that anyone can download and play the nominated games in order to guarantee promote a fair vote, but this is obviously not possible with commercial games. If we were to allow them, most, if not all nominations/votes would come from outsider, one-time users, and that is something we don't need (except for the traffic, maybe?). Actually, I think that's already an issue with the current Misaos, but we don't need to make it worse.

That being said, "Best commercial demo" is something that we could do. Let's stop thinking of "free vs commercial" in such visceral way.
author=Link_2112
I think you're assuming that commercial games are automatically better than noncommercial ones
They kinda should be. The person is charging money for it. They are definitely held to a higher standard with good reason.

Not necessarily. If all commercial games are better than noncommercial ones, then why do people play noncommercial games at all? Surely some noncommercial games are more enjoyable than commercial games, in fact, I'd say that a lot of freely-released games I have experienced far more enjoyment out of than studio games. Just because people are working on it with money doesn't make it better.

author=Link_2112
Name one game in the history of time that has charged money for a demo x.x

Good point, lol.
author=thatbennyguy
author=Link_2112
Not necessarily. If all commercial games are better than noncommercial ones, then why do people play noncommercial games at all? Surely some noncommercial games are more enjoyable than commercial games, in fact, I'd say that a lot of freely-released games I have experienced far more enjoyment out of than studio games. Just because people are working on it with money doesn't make it better.

No, I think you misunderstand. I think what Link and Sailerius are saying is that commercial games should have to be better than non-commercial games, not that commercial games are literally better than non-commercial games (though I agree that commercial games won't necessarily blow the competition away out of noncommercial games...).

And one reason people play noncommercial games is, well, they're free. Commercial games require people to pay, so of course people will think twice before buying commercial games to play. There are also other factors involved like marketing, which would then explain why some commercial games, despite being seemingly not as good as some noncommercial games, are doing very well...
Pages: first 12 next last