FINAL FANTASY 6 REMAKE!

For smartphones, source: Kotaku

Kotaku
Square Enix will be releasing a modified version of the beloved Final Fantasy VI, originally released in North America in 1994 as Final Fantasy III, this winter for iOS and Android, long-time Square director and producer Takashi Tokita told Kotaku today. The game won't be a straight port.

"It is basically like a remake of the original VI," Tokita said as he proudly revealed his surprise at the end of a presentation about the recent smartphone release of FFV and the upcoming mobile release of FFIV: The After Years. "But there have been some enhancements."

"The battle systems have been altered for the other for Final Fantasy and VI will be the same. For instance grinding was an issue and people had to spend a lot of time leveling up. Now on the mobile devices the battle systems have been adjusted so you don't have to fight as much and can enjoy the game for what it is."

The graphics, he said, will be refined for cellphones. They'll still be 2D but sharpened, a la the recent mobile release of V.

The next release in the Legacy series will be a mobile port of Final Fantasy: The After Years, which was originally released on phones in Japan and as a downloadable game for the Wii in the U.S. The mobile release is a 3D remake of the original release.

The Legacy series won't necessarily end with VI, Tokita said, when we asked him if it could include VII, VIII, IX, X and beyond. "We are aware that we have tons of VII fans," he noted. "We have VII fans in our own company. If this Legacy project works out well, we would like to one day be able to work with VII."

Who's ready for FF:Dimensions style FF6? Not me :(
Refined cellphone graphics? Lol...goodbye FFVI as I loved it, hello All The Bravest!

Seriously though, "why" couldn't it have just been a straight port, or hell even a 3d remake like FFIII or FFIV got? D; I know FFV didn't get one, but..OH! Yes, give The After Years a 3d remake, and not the better one of the two. >,> (Not saying FFIV is bad, but was TAY really even needed?)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm going to be over here in the corner crying quietly
author=LockeZ
I'm going to be over here in the corner crying quietly
Don't worry LockeZ, there's still Breath of Fire 6 to look forward to! ..Oh wait. But, at least there's the awesome Megaman mobile games to enjoy! ..Err.. (Different company, but it's easy to be depressed over mobile games...apparently.)

;A;

(That last part about FFVII pisses me off though. If the Legacy project succeeds, then one day they'll work on FFVII? Uhm..yeah, okay keep making FFXIII sequels, because everyone loves those right? I mean it's not like you couldn't make a bajeesus amount of cash out of a FFVII remake or anything, oh no! :p)
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty good until proven bad haha

I have Windows phone...
I don't get why people act like this is preventing them from enjoying the game.

I'm sure you all have at least two copies of it lying around somewhere, since you can get it on basically any platform that you want at this stage.

EDIT: Plus it's not like Final Fantasy has any credibility left at this point, so there's nothing to hurt by making another botched addition based on one of the great originals.
b-b-b-but FFVI is sacred

What's funny is, when I read a review or a write up on FFVI back in the 90s, one of the things it praised was "you don't have to grind in this game as the experience is well-balanced with your progression".

Apparently that changed sometime between then and now??
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=kentona
b-b-b-but FFVI is sacred

What's funny is, when I read a review or a write up on FFVI back in the 90s, one of the things it praised was "you don't have to grind in this game as the experience is well-balanced with your progression".

I put it down because it was too grindy.
Well, I can't be too bothered by this since I already own and treasure my copy of the original (Well, the GBA version, but close enough) and I don't play mobile games, so meh! ...But, I'd just wish they stayed closer to Yoshitaka Amano's designs now that they can. I saw some screenshots of FF5 for mobile devices, and is kind of grating to see Leena's appearance change so drastically from her portrait to her sprite. They have no excuse to do that now that they have to re-draw everything in Hi-res. xP
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Sailerius
kentona
b-b-b-but FFVI is sacred

the solution is to take all battles out of your games

please
FF6 is grindy if you try to do shit like learn all the magic, especially shit with the awful x1 learn rate. I won't miss that stuff being turned up and the encounter frequency down (thank god for smoke bombs!). For actually needing levels and power to beat the game it isn't FF5 abusable but still pretty easy. The only significant hurdle I remember is the floating continent.

author=alterego
I saw some screenshots of FF5 for mobile devices, and is kind of grating to see Leena's appearance change so drastically from her portrait to her sprite. They have no excuse to do that now that they have to re-draw everything in Hi-res. xP

Lenna and half of the crew. Galuf ages 20 years in his portrait and Bartz is basically a different dude.

e: For reference, here's what they did for FF5's mobile port/remake:
That meteor..looks like it was pasted together in less than five minutes. I mean, did anyone over at Square Enix "not" see the obvious lines in pretty much every spot on it? :p

(Lol, I just noticed it's on the ground too? Wtf? o-o)
Why the hell does cruddy FF4 get all these remakes and ports, but FF5 and FF6, the more superior games, get horrible ports to the GBA and mobile phones?

WHY SQUARE WHY.

They seriously need to gtfo out of the mobile game market.

And make 3D ff5 and ff6. PLEASE!
FF5 GBA port owns, whoever localized it had the good sense to ignore whatever the original script was and just make a solid fun script. Plus it didn't sound like shit on the GBA synth (and there's patches to fix the sound too if it does bug you). FF5A is the definitive version of FF5 and you don't need shitty fan translations with ugly fonts or the god awful PS1 port.
I'm honestly fine with handheld ports...but mobile not so much. Aside from the terrible controls of mobile games (imo), the graphics are mediocre as shown by that screenshot, and I can't really comment on the gameplay since I haven't touched a mobile ff. I'm quite fine with the gameplay in the originals though.
Enhacements...?
I bet they're going to butcher the graphics :O
I'm certainly not going to buy another ATB graphic bandwagon game, that's for certain. I'm going to wait for a TRUE remake.

*cries*
This is what Square Enix should do for a true remake for FFV, FFVI, and all the other classic ones: (Even if was just them trolling us..)

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Pizza
I don't get why people act like this is preventing them from enjoying the game.

I'm sure you all have at least two copies of it lying around somewhere, since you can get it on basically any platform that you want at this stage.

"at least two" is an accurate but misleading statement

Since the actual number is much higher

But OK yeah I don't mind them improving the graphics, I'm just hoping that their plan to "remove the grinding so people can enjoy the game for what it is" means something sane like "make characters gain XP while not on your team" and not something retarded like "reduce the final boss to level 25" (even though making characters gain XP while not on your team is a terrible idea in FF6 because of magicite stat gains, and so they'd need to fix that somehow too, and I have zero faith in them to solve this intelligently)
author=Sailerius
author=kentona
b-b-b-but FFVI is sacred

Well, we all know you hate RPGs, though.

And I only own the original SNES version.