PARTY APPROVAL RATING (VXACE)

Pages: 1
In my upcoming game, Sellsword, I thought I'd try something different for an RPG Maker Game. I wanted to have a party approval rating à la Dragon Age. Since there ARE decisions you make in the context of the game, I thought it would be fairly simple to just implement in the events themselves the coding to increase or decrease a stat based on the decisions you make. The problem lies in the face that I
1. Don't know how to create such a stat.
2. Don't know how to make it mean anything.
Ideally, I'd have you get rewards for making certain characters happy (i.e. at 50% approval the warrior gets an ATK bonus or something).
Anyone have any ideas/the ability to write up a script for me?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That's not really what he meant, byro. He's talking about the game keeping track of how much each party member likes you, based on the things you choose to say or do during conversations and cut scenes.

You have three issues here, as you noted: creating the stat, changing the stat in events, and making the stat mean something.

Fortunately, creating the stat is extremely easy: RPG Maker already has a thing called variables. You would just store each character's affection stat as a variable. One variable per character. You can name the variables things like "Alistair Approval" and "Morrigan Approval" but the player won't ever see the names. They're just there to help you keep track of which variable is which.

I would personally make the variables all start at 0, since that's the number that all variables start at anyway at the beginning of any game. That means that 0 will be a neutral approval rating. Then every time the player does makes a choice in the game, you can check in a conditional branch to see if Morrigan is on the team, and if so, you can reduce the Morrigan Approval variable by 9. And possibly show text on the screen: "Morrigan disapproves (-9)."

To make things depend on the stat, you'll probably want to use conditional branches. For example, in a cut scene, you can make Morrigan say different things depending on whether she likes you or not. Since 0 is the neutral approval rating, you can see if she likes you by checking to see if the Morrigan Approval variable is greater than 0. Something like this maybe:

Conditional Branch - variable Morrigan Approval > 0
Show Text: "I suppose I can keep following you around, for a little while."
Else:
Show Text: "If this sort of nonsense continues, I might just retreat back to the wilds after all."
End Conditional Branch

You could put other things besides just text in the conditions - maybe she gives you items if she likes you, maybe she leaves if she doesn't like you. Maybe if you talk to her while the variable is above 100, she'll sleep with you. Whatever.

To make things like her combat stats change based on the approval rating will be more complex. It's certainly possible, but try to get this much working before going to the more complex stuff.

If any part of the above doesn't make sense, let me know. Steam refuses to log in so I can't open RMVXA to give you actual screenshots.
Ahh okay - i didnt really know what he meant, so i couldnt tell if he wasnt good and needed to know how to change stats.

But yeah Variable for Each Character.

Sorry :P
I always have 1 problem with Variables but - how do i keep track of how much it is ingame

Like i wanna be able to make it say in text how much of something you have so

You have 40 Iron Ore

Instead of writing 40 Different Event Pages :P
author=LockeZ
That's not really what he meant, byro. He's talking about the game keeping track of how much each party member likes you, based on the things you choose to say or do during conversations and cut scenes.

You have three issues here, as you noted: creating the stat, changing the stat in events, and making the stat mean something.

Fortunately, creating the stat is extremely easy: RPG Maker already has a thing called variables. You would just store each character's affection stat as a variable. One variable per character. You can name the variables things like "Alistair Approval" and "Morrigan Approval" but the player won't ever see the names. They're just there to help you keep track of which variable is which.

I would personally make the variables all start at 0, since that's the number that all variables start at anyway at the beginning of any game. That means that 0 will be a neutral approval rating. Then every time the player does makes a choice in the game, you can check in a conditional branch to see if Morrigan is on the team, and if so, you can reduce the Morrigan Approval variable by 9. And possibly show text on the screen: "Morrigan disapproves (-9)."

To make things depend on the stat, you'll probably want to use conditional branches. For example, in a cut scene, you can make Morrigan say different things depending on whether she likes you or not. Since 0 is the neutral approval rating, you can see if she likes you by checking to see if the Morrigan Approval variable is greater than 0. Something like this maybe:

Conditional Branch - variable Morrigan Approval > 0
Show Text: "I suppose I can keep following you around, for a little while."
Else:
Show Text: "If this sort of nonsense continues, I might just retreat back to the wilds after all."
End Conditional Branch

You could put other things besides just text in the conditions - maybe she gives you items if she likes you, maybe she leaves if she doesn't like you. Maybe if you talk to her while the variable is above 100, she'll sleep with you. Whatever.

To make things like her combat stats change based on the approval rating will be more complex. It's certainly possible, but try to get this much working before going to the more complex stuff.

If any part of the above doesn't make sense, let me know. Steam refuses to log in so I can't open RMVXA to give you actual screenshots.

Ah, thank you for the help.
I do have a few questions, though:
1. In the talk of variables, I understand that I would probably need to put it in the actor's note box, but the actual language of what I'd need to put is where I'm lost. I know that it would likely encompass the words "variable" and "Leo's (or any other actor for that matter) Approval."
2. Would the conditional branches you mentioned just be worked into the base event itself. Like, say you have the choice between something simple like "I'll help you" and "I won't help you," in the conditional branch already created by the choices command, would I just have the conditional branch for any actor that would be affected by this directly after the decision you make or would it have to be worked in somewhere else?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=byro210
I always have 1 problem with Variables but - how do i keep track of how much it is ingame

Like i wanna be able to make it say in text how much of something you have so

You have 40 Iron Ore

Instead of writing 40 Different Event Pages :P

Wouldn't you just put something like

You have \v[1] Iron Ore.

in the Message Box?
Pages: 1