HI

Pages: 1
I've been meaning to register here for ages. I had the day off (Canadian Thanksgiving) and I figured now was as good a time as any. So here I am.

Game making has been a hobby of mine for... well, I guess it's been awhile now? Back when I first touched RM2K, Final Fallacy and Legion Saga 2 were the hottest things on Gaming World, and Advocate's version of Rpgmaker 2003, freshly translated, hadn't really caught on yet. In the past I've made a few interesting mock ups, some short tech demos, and a handful of pretty maps, but none of my projects got close to completion, and there isn't anything I'm proud enough of to share.

Anyway, during the Steam Summer Sale, I noticed that VX Ace was marked down in price, I'd heard a lot of good things about it before, and for thirty or so dollars it struck me as a fair deal, so I decided to pick it up. All in all it's been pretty reliable so far and the community support for RGSS3 is a lot better than I'd expected. Now that I'm playing with a lot less creative limitations, I've found myself feeling a lot more motivated, and have been working on a (mostly) serious project for the past month or so now.

It's a sort of Morrowind/Ultima type game, which takes place in a very Middle East / Asia Minor style setting. I've learned a lot about mapping over the years, I can't say I particularly like the 32 x 32 grid, but I'm making do. I've still got a lot to learn about scripting, and I do work a full time job, so I don't have as much spare time to throw at this project as I used to, back in my younger days. Odds are it'll be a while before I'm able to release a demo, or even have enough content to justify making a gamepage.

Still, I'm looking forward to getting involved with the community. I've learned a few interesting tricks in RPGmaker 2000 and GIMP 2.6 over the years. Once I get better acquainted with VX Ace, I might consider updating them for the newer engine. I don't think anyone else has done any sort of rotatable planet tutorial, so I should be able to add something new, at least.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
Welcome to RMN, SW! And happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Yes, the GIMP is good ... although I have been using Paint.net a lot lately instead.
Yeah, thanksgiving was nice. The weather was great, and the Roughriders won.

Welcome to RMN! I made the transition from 2k3 to Ace recently and I doubt I will look back. (DynRPG plugins makes it tempting though). We have a few stowaways from GW still around here (myself included) but most have faded away or left.
author=edchuy
Welcome to RMN, SW! And happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Yes, the GIMP is good ... although I have been using Paint.net a lot lately instead.

Thanks. Paint.net huh? I just Googled it, it looks useful and if it's a free download then it's probably worth a try.

author=kentona
Yeah, thanksgiving was nice. The weather was great, and the Roughriders won.

Welcome to RMN! I made the transition from 2k3 to Ace recently and I doubt I will look back. (DynRPG plugins makes it tempting though). We have a few stowaways from GW still around here (myself included) but most have faded away or left.

I had a lot of fun with 2k, so I'd be lying if I said the temptation to go back wasn't there, but I'll be sticking with Ace for the time being. I like the idea of being able to code in a custom menu system without making about three hundred different image files.

I honestly don't know too much about Gaming World. I remember visiting there a couple of times and downloading some games. I never registered though, and my interest in the site died when that main page did. Still, it's nice to hear that at least a few of the older users have kept up the hobby.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
author=Sidewinder
author=edchuy
Thanks. Paint.net huh? I just Googled it, it looks useful and if it's a free download then it's probably worth a try.

Yeah, there's a little of open source stuff I have found useful and more powerful than default M$ programs. I also forgot to mention Irfanview. That ought to cover your basic drawing and imaging needs. Not to mention that free is a great price!
author=edchuy
Yeah, there's a little of open source stuff I have found useful and more powerful than default M$ programs. I also forgot to mention Irfanview. That ought to cover your basic drawing and imaging needs. Not to mention that free is a great price!

I think I've heard of Irfanview before. From what I remember, it could index images, and solve the 'Invalid Colour Depth' problem in the earlier RPGmakers, but by the time I'd found it, I'd already downloaded another program called Ultimate Paint which did that, so I couldn't see much point in downloading it for myself.
Pages: 1