ANYONE ELSE SET UP A SYSTEM FOR HOW THEY CHOOSE WHAT TO PLAY?

Pages: 1
I set up a system for how I choose to play games here, and I wanted some opinions on it. I was also wondering if anyone has either a system like this, or any system at all for how you do things.

Essentially, I filtered things so I only see completed games, with an average review score of 2 stars or more, and a download available. and I sorted game by the date added in reverse order.

From here, I read through every review and description of the first 8 pages of games, and made a list of the ones that seemed promising.

I listed each game under a category of writing, gameplay, or bizarre, as well as list a logical estimate for how long the game will take on average.

While I'm not perfect at keeping with this system, It's helped keep me a lot more focused, and cut down a lot on me simply looking around trying to decide what to play here

So again, what do you think of the system? Any suggestions for how to improve it? And do you have a system yourself?

Oh, and if anyone would like to see my notepad file, let me know and I'll put the text on pastebin.

Thank you for your time.
I basically don't play RM games at all, but here's how I usually pick them:

Does this game look like it had effort put into it? (Usually how much stuff is created for the game, i.e. no rips or RTP unless they're phenomenal) Is it polished? Did it get good reviews and reception? Does it look original? (Not like a knockoff of Final Fantasy or some other shitty generic setting)

I'm really picky about what I play and difficult to please/wow, so I don't end up trying lots of stuff. I generally enjoy what I do end up putting time into though.

EDIT: Also, I tend to not follow RM2k3 games, because they're almost always broken or miserable feeling due to the godawful engine they were made in.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
My system, if you call it that, boils down to two questions: "Does the game look interesting to me?" and "Has the game been reviewed?" The latter question is practically right in front of me. I've definitely subscribed to unfinished games that have no reviews for the express purpose of reviewing them if when the game is complete. As for the former question, that's a bit more complicated to explain!

*Edit: Damn, you're not going to see either Hall of Lost Souls or Konae's Investigations!
Mine is usually something like -
Is this by someone I know?
Do I have to play this as a judge?
Have I heard good things about this?
Does it look interesting from a story-telling or screenshot point of view?
Lol, random game time!

Basically, I'll play anything once, as long as I have the time for it.
Once upon a time, I used to play anything and everything RM, demo, tech, complete, good or crud, it made no difference. But as life took its toll (work, family, two children over the past 3 years), I've had less time to play and can no longer set my standards so low.

First I've stopped playing crud games, those kind of games with zero effort put in, bad grammar and spelling, and poor game mechanics.

Then I stopped playing demos completely. It's not that I don't the developer is deserving of praise, it's just that I don't have the time for it anymore, especially when the vast majority of those demos won't be completed for the next few years (if ever).

So now, I only look at completed games. Of those, I review the game topic in detail, checking out the story to see if it's an interest to me, the screenshots to see if there was some effort put in, and the game mechanics to see if it's my style (to weed out visual novel types, or dating sim types, or sims of any sort).

Estimated time for completion also makes a big difference of how I prioritize. A game that will take me less than 10 hours to complete is more than likely to be played first than a game that will take 20 hours.

My bar is still fairly low, although not so low to include crap games. For example if you are using the RTP and the mapping is subpar, as long as the story and mechanics interst me, I'll give it a chance. Subpar mapping is not the same as piss poor mapping, and any game with a screenshot that looks piss poor, I'm likely to ignore.

Once I start playing the game, if I come across a bunch of text speech (unless it's a parody joke game), and the grammar and writing is horrible, or the game mechanics are broken or not very well balanced, I won't spend anymore time than I already have on it.
Pages: 1