RAGE INDUCERS' RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR

Pages: 1
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
I had a game I was working on for a VERY short time and just realized I had the basics of it done so I decided I'd want to to this again.

I'm working on a random number generator that determines if you win the game. It's a maze with invisible events, where a lot of them will take you back to the title screen (game over) or change the color of the entire map and player, either dark or bright colors based on the invisible events. Anyway the point of this game is to piss you off the longer you play, and at the end of the maze there is a random generator that will generate a lot of long digit numbers, and I want to know how this sounds.

Most numbers will take you back to the title screen and very few will give you an award and push you on to the next map with even harder mazes and event troubles. Each map's award will give a specific name, IE, a password of sorts and then push you forward.

After such it warps you to the same map you're on (a copy) but you have to move down rather than go back the way you came and those events that were there are now placed on the downward maze.

I want to know what you think and if I should make a lot of high digit numbers being generated, making it that much more of an accomplishment if you actually make it through without any restarts? There will be low chances for it, but I figured a game like this would draw those in who wish to try the "No restart challenge".

There will be 3 to 5 maps, 5 being the max, 3 being the minimum, and a load of restart events for each map and a load of restart digits. What do you think? Interesting or not?
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I'm mad just reading this

mission accomplished

now you don't have to make the game

In all seriousness, this isn't a challenge of anything but patience, and one that sounds excruciatingly painful. Which, well, may be what you're going for, but if that's really what you want you should come up with some ways to trick the player into thinking the game is more in-depth than it is, to truly maximize how pissed off they'll be when nothing ever happens. If you want some really well done examples of this kind of game, go play A.V.G.M. or Steam Shovel Harry.
Thiamor
I just need help finding out HOW to do the generated numbers. I'm having issues with that, and if there are possible ways to SHOW the generated number via message.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Ahh, if you're looking for technical help, you probably want the Help Requests forum... I don't remember how to do RNG in RPG Maker, but I don't remember it being too difficult. You could even base it off something like the game clock or number of steps taken, run that number through a complex forum, and use that, if you wanted to.
Thiamor
Also I didn't want it at the time, I just NOW had the issue.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
- Recommended for maximum conveyance: display a picture of dice that show the number the player rolled

- Recommended for maximum frustration: make the dice result in "3" several times more often than any other number, and make sure "3" is always bad

- Recommended for maximum obsessive compulsion: make the dice image cycle between all the different numbers, and let the player press Enter to choose when to stop them, sort of like a slot machine, but don't make this have any effect whatsoever on the number that the dice actually land on

Edit: I CAN MAKE IT MORE EVIL

- Have a small random chance for any given dice roll to be a SUPER DICE ROLL. This will have, like, the music suddenly stop a pair of spotlights shine down on the dice, everything else fade out, some flashing lights, and a sound effect of a drum roll, to emphasise that it's extra-ultra-important. Maybe have like six dice instead of the usual two, or something. And here's the most important part: this super dice roll will always, always lose. It will never win.

- Make the player gain experience points from each successful dice roll. The experience points grant levels, which carry over between games even if you die (exp does NOT carry over between games, because fuck you, that's why). These levels will unlock new types of events. The new types of events will not be better in any way whatsoever. Possibly make some of them worse. Just not obviously worse.

- When the player lands on an event, show the possibilities on the side of the screen. Something like 1) 100 XP 2) 250 XP 3) Go Backwards 4) DEATH or whatever possibilities you have, I dunno. But toss some ??? results in there for good measure, so the player is never really sure. And make some of the events be rigged to never result in a certain good outcome, even though it's listed. So an event might have "Extra Life" listed as a result, but it's a result that the player can never actually get. It's just there to give him false hope.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=LockeZ
Recommended for maximum obsessive compulsion: make the dice image cycle between all the different numbers, and let the player press Enter to choose when to stop them, sort of like a slot machine, but don't make this have any effect whatsoever on the number that the dice actually land on

this^

For bonus frustration, make it pause on the best number every time for just a second, like the one that gives them a bunch of bonus gold and teleports them to the end of the maze... then have it flip back to 3.

-Have an NPC at the entrance tell you about a really good sword stashed the maze, and fill the maze with treasure chests. Every treasure chest is a mimic that teleports you back to beginning. Every single one. There is no sword.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Make sure there's a time limit in the treasure chest maze, so they can't possibly actually open every single chest and discover your ploy.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Add a warp-zone door that only unlocks when you have all three of the Gold Keys. Add a description to each key along the lines of "Part of a set of three keys to unlock the Warp Door". Enemies should drop Gold Key 1 and Gold Key 3 commonly; no one drops Gold Key 2.
Thiamor
Well there's no fighting, it's just traveling the maze. I could add fighting but I want to find some way to making it the MOST obviously frustrating part so they would try to stay out of it. This would force them away from certain objects and into more objects.

I could take away the random number generator and add a sort of spinning mechanic, that forces you at the end part of the map to press a button at the right time and once you do it'll stop spinning.

Say there are 4 balls spinning, following each other in a...well SQUARE motion, and once you push the button it'll stop the movement of all of the balls and which one is facing you causes an action. 3 will do something bad, the other will warp you to the next part of the map. I'll do the level part as well, and each time you get into the next map, it gives experience.

Then edit each event to have a level based event and be harder. For instance it'll say YOUR SPEED HAS INCREASED but doesn't specify which speed. When you walk you move faster making it harder to control where you walk. One event could even change your controls up so if you press up it moves left, down moves right, left moves up, right moves down.
LockeZ
I don't really think it sounds like it has any need for RPG battles. But if do you have them, make sure the hero only has like a 5% hit chance, and the only skills any enemies use are status effects and instant death.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I like the enemies knowing instant death spells, it's a nice touch. Your hero should be able to learn a Death spell (after being hit by enough of them) but probably won't know how to use it right away, so add a 70% chance to miss and kill a party member.

Also, you know those battles where enemies will call additional enemies of the same kind, and the new enemies can also call additional enemies, ad infinitum? I think those should be pretty common :)
What you want to do is lure the player into thinking they're either getting somewhere or that they're just picking wrong.
For example, some chests with decent results in them - or key items that will never get used. If it's a key item they'll think there's something to correspond with it and most likely search it out, thinking that there is a chance to escape the horror that is your game.
Make them think it's possible to win - let them find great items that don't have uses at all. Let some monsters die easily so that it encourages them to fight, but have it impossible to tell the difference. Make levels seem to increase stats but don't have it make a difference. Sell them the illusion that they're progressing without giving them the actual progress.
You don't want them to Alt+F4 10 minutes in - you want to drag out their suffering over hours.
Psychology - use it against them. Make coloured chests that correspond to different tiers of items (they all have no purpose, but they don't know that) and have the high-tier ones easy to spot but be hard to get to. When they do get to them via that one path, make a monster battle that changes it's attack, weakness and such each turn. Let them think there's a way to beat it when there's not. Let them see damage flying off that fucker but have it secretly restore HP all the time and hit hard. Let them think they can do it if they choose the right commands and abilities.
Make them think they can win.
Thiamor
Question since I'd rather not make a new topic for this game just to ask a question.

My spinning ball system isn't working. When you walk on to an invisible event it stops them spinning, like it's supposed to, but won't cause anything to happen after. IE, there is a ball that is meant to take you back to the title screen, and no matter even if I say if it's facing my way when it stops spinning (the specific ball) it doesn't take me back to the title screen.

Any idea why? This is rpg maker 2003.
Whatever event makes the ball stop spinning, add the Return to Title Screen to it. Or have it call a Common Event in the Database that makes you Return to Title Screen.

If that doesn't fix the problem, could you show a screenshot of your code?
Thiamor
I decided just to have all stop the moment the player touches one of the balls itself.

The main problem was having to change one of the Ball events to allow other events to pass over it, so it doesn't stop the other spinning balls. The main issue I saw with this is if you are lucky enough you could slip passed it, into the middle of the spinning events.

But I countered this with making it's frequency and speed 5 times faster for each, and with all of them being "collision" based, it should make up for that empty spot.

there are 8 balls, they go into a small square, spinning fast enough to blend in to each of the other ball events, and each event has a different out come.

IE, one gives 2511 experience, which with my experience system causes 1 level up for each map, and it consists of 5 levels, and 5 maps. Each level also gives you a level password, that allows you to get back to the level you were at when you...failed/(at the start of the first map.) Levels are useless, and only help with few stat issues, and fights will consist of a lot of little events that happen at certain times to make the fights very...rage inducing. There will also be boss fights in the ball events if you're unlucky enough to get that ball. Very long and drawn out boss fights, based on your level, with barley any experience given after you win.

There is no killing them, the main point is to live long enough for the final event to trigger, causing the enemies just to die out. But after you win, it sends you right back to the title screen. One ball event will also be useless and just change the BGM of the next map.

For example of the battles (boss one's at least) there will be 1 enemy that can be hurt, and 3 others who can't. Those others don't attack directly, but can cause status effects, good, or bad for both the enemy and/ or the player, while some heal.

There will always be one low healing enemy who heals more often, one super healer who heals max more slowly (and rarely will heal the boss and player at once with a "Massive Wind" ability, and 1 status inducing monster, IE the first boss has a low level poison monster. The first boss is called "The Random" and it's abilities are a lot, and random of course, but that isn't the main reason it has it's name.

During the fight, it gives you the ability to heal very little each hit, a little more every other hit, and every so many turns it heals you a great deal, and every turn it heals 90 percent of it's own HP.

The low healing monster absorbs your HP to heal the boss. Coupled with the above it lasts a long time. You're also very slow, where waiting for your bar to fill up, it can knock out 10 to 15 attacks on you, and the battle ends when you make 5 turns. It takes a good 10 to 15 minutes to make those 5 turns.
Pages: 1